Embeding maps

Submitted: Monday, Aug 02, 2021 at 10:52
ThreadID: 142308 Views:4832 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

hope someone can help me with this.

We have just started our own wordpress site for an upcoming trip and I was trying to embed a map of a previous trip on it. When I try to use the code provided on the ExploreOZ site, it just errors. Saying "Sorry, this content could not be embedded."
I then went on, trying to download the GPX file to just add a map via a GPX plugin. However, ExploreOZ then comes up with a prompt

"Mapping Data Download is for Members Only.
For more information see our Membership Information and join now."

if you click on Membership information, a prompt pops up displaying:

"The requested page cannot be found"

I would prefer to embed the map directly but any help would be highly appreciate!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2021 at 18:12

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2021 at 18:12
Hey Chris,

I have just rewritten the track log system so you will get the new latest map functions using the embed system. Firstly the message you are getting sounds to me like the Track Log is set to Closed status. Can you set the security to either Open or Shareable and I think it will work correctly.

Let me know
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637372

Follow Up By: Member - Chris Ki - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 11:25

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 11:25
Hi David,

thanks for responding to this. the map that I have been using is already set to "sharable" and I have managed to get it to run with Elementor, it just doesn't seem to like to run on Wordpress directly. From what I understand Gutenberg/Wordpress is having some restrictions regarding the domains it allows to be embed. There are options on adding/changing these but that is going beyond what I am able to do...
FollowupID: 915433

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 11:47

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 11:47
Chris,

I understand this as some of the budget WordPress hosting environments do not allow embedding - which is a shame. Not sure about your particular host but I have run into this on embedding I wanted to do in the past for other people.

You may be able to use the Embed Image function , which will provide the map image clickable to the full map. Have you tried this option?

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915435

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 14:14

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 14:14
Chris,

You could document your trip on the blogs system on this site. It allows embeding and photos etc. You can even email in your updates and they publish automatically. Give it a try send email to blogs( at ) exploroz.com from the email account you use for your ExplorOz Membership and it will publish within 30 minutes hopefully (haven't tested for a while - but will now to be sure). Of course use @ not ( at ), just trying to avoid the additional spam of which this box already gets thousands!

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 637383

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 14:36

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 14:36
My test send worked - so sending the email updates works perfectly and you can also add photos to the email. Good luck and enjoy your travels.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915441

Reply By: Member - Chris Ki - Thursday, Aug 05, 2021 at 08:43

Thursday, Aug 05, 2021 at 08:43
Appreciate your help David, will look into the blog on here.
AnswerID: 637391

Sponsored Links