Mataranka or Daly Waters to Borroloola - road conditions

Submitted: Friday, Jul 30, 2021 at 14:20
ThreadID: 142292 Views:6123 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of heading across to the gulf from the NT. Has anyone travelled from either Mataranka through Roper Bar (Lorella Springs) or from Daly Waters through Cape Crawford to Borroloola of late. Wondering what the current road surface is like. We have a week to get to Lawn Hill. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
The Wombat

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wholehog - Friday, Jul 30, 2021 at 21:39

Friday, Jul 30, 2021 at 21:39
Let your tyres down and go for it.
AnswerID: 637324

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Jul 31, 2021 at 03:10

Saturday, Jul 31, 2021 at 03:10
Daly Waters to Borroloola is all bitumen and no problems. Roper Bar road can be very corrugated or can be perfect. Depends on whether grader has been active. Either way you will have no problems if you air down on the dirt and drive to conditions.
AnswerID: 637327

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2021 at 19:42

Saturday, Jul 31, 2021 at 19:42
3 weeks ago...we travelled via Daly Waters to Cape Crawford and then up to Lorella Springs. From Cape Crawford and into Lorella was equal to the worst I have experienced ( and I've some!).. as an example the 130km or so from Cape Crawford into Lorella took us 4 hours. Some section all good others severely corrugated. Reports from those we spoke to in at Lorella indicated severe corrugation's down into Lorella from Roper Bar...so we went back out the way we came in as it was 100km or so less corrugations.

Were were towing an off-road van ( not a pretend off road) and ran our tires at 30 psi and had no issues as we drove to conditions...others suffered subject to how they drove and vehicle condition.

We were also told the Borroloola / Hells Gate road was similar from those that came off it that way into Lorella......so either way there are some serious corrugations.

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

AnswerID: 637334

Reply By: Member - Warren A1 - Monday, Aug 02, 2021 at 07:15

Monday, Aug 02, 2021 at 07:15
Thanks for all the responses and your advice on recent conditions. It seems that the road to Lorella Springs via Roper Bar will be a no go this time. It's always nice to get sensible answers to your questions and as for the 'Let your tyres down and just go for it!' We respect our vehicle and the roads we drive on a little more than that, we live in our camper and on those roads full time.
The Wombat

AnswerID: 637355

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Aug 02, 2021 at 09:21

Monday, Aug 02, 2021 at 09:21
Hi Wombat,

Maybe it is an optical illusion, but from your profile picture, it looks like the chassis is bent, what is the “base” vehicle?

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915396

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2021 at 20:49

Thursday, Aug 05, 2021 at 20:49
Hey Macca, seems Wombat has gone down his hole!
His vehicle is a Nissan Navara and the tray does appear to be sagging at the back.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 915465

Reply By: Member - Warren A1 - Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 12:01

Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 12:01
The system I'm running is a Lapara closed coupling trailer. The suspension is not sagging nor is the chassis broken. The system is engineered to 4.4 tonne and has a plated GVM of 4 tonne. Which gives me a payload of 1.3 tonne which I am within. The reason I didn't respond is that our original post was to do with roads not the vehicle therefore I thought your comments were irrelevant to the post concerned. As we travel full time we ensure the vehicle is checked daily and serviced regularly. See photos
The Wombat

AnswerID: 637394

Sponsored Links