VoltBox

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2021 at 23:41
ThreadID: 141773 Views:17856 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
Has anybody had personal experience with the VoltBox, advertised on this website? Is it legit or a scam?
Sound too good to be true. And if it is a scam, why it is advertised here?

Cheers,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 04:15

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 04:15
I,ve never seen it advertised on here. Possibly just internet ads appearing on the site???. I googled it and it just appears to be another cheap appliance charger but has a speaker.....if this is what you are talking about. Plethora of gadgets out there all competing for your dollar.
AnswerID: 636436

Reply By: Laz - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 05:54

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 05:54
Thanks Bigfish. Must be a "glitch" - comes on with Michelle's face. Looks legit, like she is involved in that kind of "IT". But then you go on their page and it looks cheap and fake.
AnswerID: 636437

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 09:21

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 09:21
I researched it - everything pointed to it being a sham. The physics don't hold up.

Here’s an assessment. It’s on a device called the Voltex. The ad on the forum is for a Voltbox. The shonks change the name of the product from time to time as each is revealed to be a sham/scam, but they look identical.
As a physics nerd, I can tell you the “science” behind the claim is BS. Link
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636439

Follow Up By: Laz - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 09:32

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 09:32
Thank you very much Frank. It's all clear now. As you said - BS.
FollowupID: 914358

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 09:44

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 09:44
As to your question, Laz, "Why is it advertised here?"

That's because the ads are served up by Google, the company that declared the Aussie humour in our Friday Funnies was offensive and unless taken down no ads would be delivered to EO, starving the site of important revenue.

But apparently a scam meets their standards. Does the word hypocrisy ring a bell?

FYI, I drew it to Michelle's attention. Apparently, once identified, she can block a specific ad.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914359

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 12:35

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 12:35
Thanks for the reminder Frank. I've just flagged it to be blocked from appearing on our site but I've also "reported" it. There is a list of categories under which and ad can be deemed inappropriate and I found one that matched the criteria for being misleading etc. But I won't hear back from Google. They had 200 ads in the Google AdSense system being served to websites all over the internet - all are now blocked on ExplorOz. (It may take time to stop serving so it won't be immediate).
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914362

Follow Up By: Laz - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 19:34

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 19:34
Thanks guys. It all makes sense now.

Regards,
FollowupID: 914372

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 19:45

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 19:45
For a bit of fun, I decided to leave some comments on their website. I anonymised myself with the TOR browser and a VPN as precautions.

Any comments, positive or negative, disappeared as soon as I refreshed the page.

Nothing bout being held in abeyance pending moderation, etc. Just disappeared. ie they don't accept comments. They only write their own favourable ones, and disguise them as public comments.

Fakes and shysters through and through.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914375

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 09:47

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 09:47
VoltBox and similar products are a scam. Absolute and unadulterated SCAM.
I opened one years ago and confirmed what is revealed on many YouTube videos.

The box contains a capacitor and maybe a resistor/LED. Sometimes several other dummy components to fool you. It relies on the electrical principle of 'power factor' correction. This is the circumstance where inductive or capacitive loads affect the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit and is referred to as a "leading" or "lagging" load. It has little-or-no effect on the consumer but does cause some difficulty with the generation and distribution of the electric power. A lagging power factor is more common and it can be corrected by the application of capacitors.

So VoltBox puts a capacitor in a box and declares it will save you a fortune in electricity charges. But there are two problems...... the size of their capacitor will have negligible affect on the power factor and in any case it cannot change the reading of your meter. Of course they throw in more 'benefits' such as cleaning "dirty" electricity and eliminating "harmful spikes"....... again absolute rubbish.
On top of that, our electricity mains used to run with lag, a power factor of about 0.8 or worse, largely due to the inductive loads of motors and fluro light chokes but these days it has improved due to the plethora of switch-mode power supplies which are naturally of leading nature. So there is no need to change the power factor.

However, in our 'free society', a merchant can claim anything and get away with it. The only way to counter him is to launch a civil legal case alleging either financial or physical injury. Well of course, VoltBox simply refund your purchase cost and that's the end of that. Maybe if one blew-up and burnt your house down, but you still may not succeed because of fine-print conditions of sale etc.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 636441

Follow Up By: Laz - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 19:39

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 19:39
Thanks Alan. Very comprehensive review.
Regards,
FollowupID: 914373

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 14:08

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 14:08
Anything offering a USB port in it's construction has to be a quality product doesn't it? add BlooTeeth and it is a best seller. Include a speaker as well and it is a winner.
AnswerID: 636448

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 14:12

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 14:12
Just add a sucker, and you've made a buck! lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 914364

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 17:03

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 17:03
I was looking for a compact led camping lantern and there's a product from a major camping equipment supplier with all of the above. From another leading manufacturer of led lights one with BT and a usb, admittedly the usb uses the lithium battery as a charger, but blue tooth to control your camping lamp ffs. Oh USB 3 of course! It only costs $70 more than the non-BT. Mind you the version I purchased sans BT is superb, about the size of a glass stubby and puts out as much light (750 lumens) as my Coleman lantern which is about the size of an old gas light.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914368

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 16:15

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 16:15
This website will have no control on what Google advertises on here .is my understanding.
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 636449

Sponsored Links