ABC: Gunlom Falls area (Kakadu) to be closed

Sounds like it is actually happening:

"The Kadadu National Park area of Gunlom will be closed to the public just as the peak tourism season kicks off after traditional owners agreed that Parks Australia had "a lack of respect" for their sacred sites.

Gunlom Land Trust chairperson Mick Markham advised authorities on Monday morning that the decision was "a result of Parks breach of our lease agreement and lack of respect for our sacred sites".

Mr Markham said he expected the gate at the South Alligator River would be locked within the week."

Link to ABC article
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan H11 - Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 06:43

Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 06:43
Now that's very sad - in two senses:

1) it's a beautiful place - I assume that the path up to the waterfall is now completed giving better access. One of the best places to visit in Kakadu.

2) Sad that visitors and/or Parks Australia have apparently failed to be respectful and that this is the result.
AnswerID: 636246

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 07:44

Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 07:44
So I assume that some of the handouts will also cease. If the income is down so should the outgoings.
FollowupID: 914112

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 07:50

Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 07:50
I may be off track ( no pun intended) but it sounds more of a political than a spiritual issue?
AnswerID: 636247

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 13:29

Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 13:29
Is there a difference Alby?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914119

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 15:51

Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 15:51
The outcome is the same Alan so maybe not ?
FollowupID: 914124

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 08:10

Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 08:10
Sad, very sad, beautiful place, wonder what else will be closed?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 636248

Follow Up By: Alan H11 - Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 08:53

Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 08:53
A beautiful national park in Colombia - the snow-capped Nevado del Cocuy - is an amazing place to go walking/climbing above the snowline. It was possible to go for multi-day walks at ~5000m .

There were tensions between the traditional keepers of the area, for whom the snow caps are sacred, other communities living and working outside the national park, and illegal businesses operating in the area, however a delicate balance was being maintained.

Then a group of insensitive clods who had climbed up to the snowline chose to play a game of football, record it on video, and publish the video on youtube. The result was that the traditional keepers were incensed, raised their concerns, and the parks authority closed the national park. After about a year, the park was reopened, however for day access only, and so while it is possible to enjoy the area, you need to be pretty fit to be capable of reaching the snowline and leaving the park again in one day. Multi-day walks are no longer possible.

Although there are rumblings that vested interests of various groups are behind the closure, I am sure that the situation would not have arisen had the thoughtless tourists not been so insensitive (the sacred nature of the area is well-publicised, and emphasised when you get your park pass). At least we can now visit the park, albeit for day use only; let's hope Gunlom will be reopened before too long, and that the need to respect the traditional owners is clear.
FollowupID: 914113

Reply By: Pushy - Thursday, May 06, 2021 at 16:12

Thursday, May 06, 2021 at 16:12
I am not sure where the gate is but would that also put Koolpin out of bounds as well.
AnswerID: 636275

Sponsored Links