entry to mount hart station

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 27, 2021 at 12:51
ThreadID: 141590 Views:5859 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning all, Just a quick question , how difficult would it be to tow a 23 ft caravan into mount hart station on the Gibb river road, as I believe, the road can be quite rough. I can be corrected on that statement.
The van is built for dirt road travel, and sits about 40mm taller than most vans, and has simplicity suspension under her.
We are taking off at the end of May so any tips and hints will be welcome.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gerard S - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2021 at 14:50

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2021 at 14:50
We towed a 21'6" Lotus Caravan into Mt Hart 2 years ago. Several creek crossings (can be up to 32 crossings immediately after the wet season) The biggest challenge was getting up the other side on a couple of them. We took 2 attempts on one. It's the old story, pick your line and try and keep up your momentum. All in all was a good drive and I'd do it again.
AnswerID: 636171

Reply By: My Aussie Travel Guide - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2021 at 21:57

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2021 at 21:57
We were up there in 2019 and the road in was far better than the Gibb. In fact, it was the best station entrance track we experienced that trip. The road will get graded prior to being open and it will come down to the operator as to how good a job they do, and the quality of the creek entries/exits. As mentioned previously pick your line if need be. Mount Hart is a beaut place to visit and a unique station stay along the Gibb.

You may find the western end of the Gibb is better then the east, as it’s not so shaley. Just take things easy. There’s lots to explore along the road, so hope you have a great time. We might see you there!
AnswerID: 636187

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Apr 29, 2021 at 02:02

Thursday, Apr 29, 2021 at 02:02
Hello AUSSIE TRAVEL,
I am just wondering if you were towing a caravan when you went into mount hart>/? as we shall be towing a23ft caravan, and we want to know / or have some expectation as to what to expect as far as terrain we have to cross as I haven't been there since 1979, and we are looking forward to seeing that country again. the last time I was on the Gibb river road, was 1971 in a mk2 440l cortina, this time we are in a ford ranger with a caravan in tow , nut much has change as for vehicle type but I think we have a better chance of gettin through with out damage this time. thank you very much for your input.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914052

Follow Up By: My Aussie Travel Guide - Thursday, Apr 29, 2021 at 20:25

Thursday, Apr 29, 2021 at 20:25
We were towing a camper into Mt Hart, not our caravan. The track in is windy but not tight as you go through the ranges towards the homestead. It’s a really scenic drive. The campground there is very good. Many people take their vans along the Gibb, but it’s not something we’ve ever done, even though we’re regular visitors. You will notice a massive difference to the Gibb since your last visit. My first trip in the early 90s saw it as a single lane dirt track, whereas today it’s a very good dual lane dirt road. I’m not sure where else you plan to visit along the Gibb...the corrugations may shake things up a bit, but I wouldn’t see the station tracks posing a problem for you as long as you take things slow.
FollowupID: 914063

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Apr 30, 2021 at 01:11

Friday, Apr 30, 2021 at 01:11
Hi traveller,
Are there any places that you would recommend, we are planning going to, Kallumburu and the Mitchell plateau, and probably do a couple of other wilderness sanctuary's that we have been told about but time is not in our favour as I am retired now but some one not being me has to return to the grind stone so we can keep on doing these trips, lol.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914064

Follow Up By: My Aussie Travel Guide - Friday, Apr 30, 2021 at 19:42

Friday, Apr 30, 2021 at 19:42
I’m biased as I love the lot. Each station is different which is the drawcard for us. It will come down to the time you have. Some stations are only a km or a bit longer off the Gibb, whereas some can be 40+. Mornington is just shy of 100. So you’ll need to take travel time into consideration wherever you choose to go.
FollowupID: 914073

Reply By: nick g1 - Friday, Apr 30, 2021 at 00:27

Friday, Apr 30, 2021 at 00:27
You will not have any trouble getting into Mt Hart in an off Rd caravan. We did it and the entire GRR in our van in 2020. Just a few creek crossings on the Rd into Mt Hart. Rocky crossings but take it slow and you will be ok. The Rd in is graded by the Shire, so we where told, so it's graded to the same standard as the main GRR.Great camp-site at the station. Powered sites right next to station are a bit like a caravan sites. They where closed when we went there but the main unpowered sites where open. These where definitely better as lots of room to spread out and right on a pool of water in the river. Great bar and meals. Pizza and Fish and chips where the only options but both where Great and very generous portions. We only ordered one meal and shared it between the two of us and it was heaps. Gorges to explore and a few drives makes it a great place to visit. Was one of only two stations open last yr due to Covid. Will be a lot more busy this yr l would say.
Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 636198

Sponsored Links