Old Eyre Hwy - Nullabor to Yalata - Update

I posted a thread on this topic 4 April. Some helpful responses were received but I decided to ask Yalata directly re access. This is what I have just received, fyi only.

"Thanks for getting in contact with us regards to traveling along the Old Eyre Highway, but unfortunately this is not permitted.

The road has been closed for a number of years and we are actively working to block off access to area to the public, but unfortunately people continue drive around these blockades causing vegetation damage and trespassing on our Lands in doing so. All Yalata Lands are deemed private property, and anyone caught on Our Lands will be removed and maybe charged with trespassing. We have opened designated areas of Our Lands to the public for Camping and Fishing and this is monitored by a strict Permit system. For more information, please visit https://yalata.com.au/camping-fishing/

Additionally, for your own safety due to the close proximity to Yalata Community this area is used regularly by our community members for hunting with firearms so entering this area could put yourselves in danger. Yalata Community and Yalata Lands also remains closed to any outside visitors as part of our COVID risk management strategy.

Thank you for contacting us asking this question but again we ask that you do not enter this area".

Cheers.

JB.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: lindsay - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 17:50

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 17:50
What crap! I sent them numerous emails and got no reply. When we went there we called in to the admin office and stood there for a considerable time whilst others were looked after. When it came to our turn after waiting for 1/2 an hour we asked at the front desk , the lady went to an inside office and came out and stated that it was ok with them but to ask the police. After we found him and asked him he said "nothing to do with me mate" so off we went. The locals did not even look sideways at us as we motored through the junk and the community, That was 2 years ago this year. As I said in an earlier post we went right through to the border and into WA (with station owners permission) and came out at Mundrabilla. Did not see another vehicle.
Lindsay
AnswerID: 636101

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 18:04

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 18:04
"That was 2 years ago this year."

That was two years ago, not now. Things change.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 913955

Reply By: lindsay - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 19:41

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 19:41
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 636107

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Apr 22, 2021 at 11:47

Thursday, Apr 22, 2021 at 11:47
If you “Google” Yalata, it displays a whole lot of images, one of which is a map of the area. This map clearly shows The Old Eyre Highway, and also shows a restricted area. According to the map, The Old Eyre Highway is no where near the restricted area. This is very confusing. A lot of people have travelled The Old Eyre Highway in the past, we were planning to use it next time we travel west.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636114

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2021 at 12:05

Thursday, Apr 22, 2021 at 12:05
Macca, I haven't been able to find what you've reported. Can you post a link or screenshot of what you found?

The screenshot below is from Westprint's current edition of Australia's Outback Tracks. Westprint is usually pretty good at this stuff.

It doesn't show a restricted area as such, just Yalata Aboriginal Land, with the Old Eyre Hwy clearly going through it.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 913969

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Apr 23, 2021 at 08:23

Friday, Apr 23, 2021 at 08:23
https://images.app.goo.gl/XG6aFrsBM7RtxEy7Old Eyre Highway

I have tried to insert the above link, but I don’t seem to be able to do it. Something I am doing wrong.

To find it in Google, search Yalata, then click on the view all images tab, this image will appear along with many others, you will have to scroll down to find it.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636124

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Apr 23, 2021 at 08:43

Friday, Apr 23, 2021 at 08:43
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Post Removed by Request Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 913986

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Apr 23, 2021 at 11:00

Friday, Apr 23, 2021 at 11:00
Yes, Frank, that is the map I was trying to insert. Whilst it does show The Old Eyre Highway traverses Aboriginal land, it shows that it is nowhere near the marked restricted zone.

Many public roads traverse through Aboriginal land, this one would appear to be no different. I am not sure which Land Council has jurisdiction over this area, but if the road is a gazetted public road, all that should be required is a travel permit from the designated Land Council, just like the GCR.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636128

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Apr 23, 2021 at 12:22

Friday, Apr 23, 2021 at 12:22
When you look at the legend (it's small and blurry, sorry) it does show permitted access routes and tracks. At the bottom it says:

" ..... all other tracks are prohibited unless permission from YCI/YLM."

I guess they have us over a barrel, confirmed by the answers to the OP's queries.

Sad. I drove the Old Eyre Highway before it had the "Old" stuck in front of it. I would like to drive as much of it as I can now, but it looks like this section is out of bounds.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913987

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Friday, Apr 23, 2021 at 21:32

Friday, Apr 23, 2021 at 21:32
I travelled what is now the old Eyre Highway each way in 1966 driving an Austin 1800. Did it again in 2014 in a 100 series Landcruiser. The average speed in the Austin was at least 20 kph faster, you can't beat that floating on fluid. Yes you miss a bit at the Yalata end but it is not much, and it is still a great drive. I particularly remember the Nash Airflyte that was at Ivy Tanks on both occasions.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913988

Sponsored Links