Wallaroo Mine Ruins - SA



DEG: -33.97086 137.695404
DMS: 33º 58' 15.09" S 137º 41' 43.45" E
UTM: 53 H 6237800mN 749034mE
Altitude: 49.2m


Address & Contact

58 Davidson Rd
Wallaroo Mines SA 5554
Phone: N/A
Email: N/A
Web: N/A


On 17 December 1859, James Boor, a shepherd on the Wallaroo sheep run, owned by Walter Watson Hughes, discovered copper at what was to become Wallaroo Mines. Thirty or forty men were reportedly working at the site by the end of the year. By August 1860, the new mines employed 150 men and were "turning out ores of a rich quality", and by the end of 1860 there was a total population of 500.

The mines had an enginehouse, office, a residence for the captain and secretary, and an assay office by this point, along with its own store for the miners. The growth of the mines saw the town of Kadina surveyed in 1860, with the first blocks being put up for sale in March 1861.

The proprietors formed the business into a private company, the Wallaroo Mining Company, with the first board meeting in August 1860 and Edward Stirling the first chairman.
iMapPlot Reference Image


Working on it...

Get Traveller App Get the ExplorOz Traveller App to download all ExplorOz Places for navigational use on your tablet, phone, iPad or laptop.
Download Place
Use this download for GPX, Hema Navigator and OziExplorer. Geo data only no map included.

TrekNotes Near This Place (1)



Closest Weather Station

Kadina at 04/01:00pm CDT
Distance from Wallaroo Mine Ruins 3.01km W
TemperatureFeels LikeRel. HumidityDew PointPressureRainfallWind DirectionWind SpeedGusts

Closest Climatic Station

Distance from Wallaroo Mine Ruins 44.9km S
Mean Max. °C29.228.425.822.518.115.414.315.418.021.324.726.3
Mean Min. °C15.715.914.412.
Mean Rain mm17.

Update History

Comments & Reviews

Post a Comment
Add Photos & Files
Alert Admin Open in Traveller App

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)