Old Dalhousie Station

Saturday, Dec 14, 2019 at 15:40

Member - 2208mate

Old Dalhousie Station
Now annexed as a park, was a cattle property.
'The property was situated approximately 125 kilometres (78 mi) north of Oodnadatta and 131 kilometres (81 mi) south east of Aputula. The ephemeral Finke River passes for a distance of 30 miles (48 km) through the property with several semi-permanent water holes,before petering out well short of Lake Eyre further to the south east.
The lease was initially won by Edward Meade Bagot in 1873. Bagot a surveyor had won the contract to construct the 500 miles (805 km) section of the Overland Telegraph from Port Augusta to Peak.
Bagot and Smith put the 1,738 square miles (4,501 km2) property on the market in 1889. At this time the station was stocked with 5,000 head of cattle and 130 horses

Tags

BlogID: 7659
Views: 929

Comments & Reviews

Post a Comment
You must be registered and logged in to post here.



Registration is free and takes only seconds to complete!
Loading...
Blog Index

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)