Project TONI

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 06, 2008 at 16:46
ThreadID: 59542 Views:4903 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
This is an update to Project TONI re-thread 58766.

Things are moving slowly but positively. The motor is now mounted to the chassis via 100 sr mounts and a 100 sr cross member for the gear box mount. This was a change from our first idea of using the Nissan member and welding a 100 sr mount to it, the latter was easier and stronger.

Getting the drive flanges parallel was a bit tricky but that has now been done. The two drive shafts now have to be modified to mate the Nissan drive line to the Toyota transfer case, this is an easy job compared to some other things that had to be done.

The new petrol 4.5 Nissan radiator is in and the engine & fan have good clearance each end, the engine is 1.5 inch clear of the fire wall and the fan is also 1.5-1.75 inches clear of the radiator. We will probably use the trimmed down Nissan cowl over the fan.

The 3" exhaust is being made up, as is the water cooled inter cooler. these will be fitted nearly last.

The new 80 sr sump has arrived from Japan (it was on backorder) and is fitted to the motor, this gives the sway bar and steering better clearance than a 100 sr sump would.

The wiring loom is nearly ready and the electrical engineer is booked to do his thing later in the week (Thur-Fri) this is my biggest worry in the whole project, get this wrong and it could hold up the job by weeks. The engineer assures us that it is not as hard to do as we fear, lets hope he's correct.

The hand brake modifications and the consul still have to be done, the is modified to take the Toyota selector lever etc.

It still looks like a 2-3 week job, but we are closer to the end than we are from the start.

I just can't wait to get mu bum into it and drive the beast.

I wanted to go to Innaminka this year but alas it was not to be, so good luck to all that have gone, you bast4rds, LOL.

Will keep you all up to date as we go.

Colin.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jul 06, 2008 at 17:13

Sunday, Jul 06, 2008 at 17:13
Colin,

I have just finished packing and about to have dinner and have an early night. Look out Innamincka here I come.

I have spoken to a few comp blokes up here about your little adventure to graft a legend power plant to a Missan and they reckon your nuts. By ruining such a good motor ;)

Look forward to hearing about the test drive in about 12 days when I get back from Innamincka.

Cheers Sir Kev

3 in A ROW
Go the MAROONS
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 314125

Follow Up By: On Patrol (Project TONI) - Sunday, Jul 06, 2008 at 17:20

Sunday, Jul 06, 2008 at 17:20
Thanks Kev,
Have a good time at the gathering and a safe trip, as far as hearing about the test drive in 12 days time, ummm, I dont think so, but lets see.

PS tell your blokes "To go and get well and truly #@@%" LOL

All attendees, come home safe.
Colin.
FollowupID: 580160

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jul 06, 2008 at 17:45

Sunday, Jul 06, 2008 at 17:45
Watch out for 4 In A ROW........................

11 hours and counting ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 580165

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Sunday, Jul 06, 2008 at 21:36

Sunday, Jul 06, 2008 at 21:36
Hi On Patrol,

Thanks for the update. I'm following this with interest. When it's all done I'm sure you'll have plenty of good stories and the satisfaction of a job well done.

Hugh
AnswerID: 314184

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Monday, Jul 07, 2008 at 04:03

Monday, Jul 07, 2008 at 04:03
Keep attacking Colin

Great to hear, things are rolling along well

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 314203

Sponsored Links