Thuraya XT-Lite

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 17:09
ThreadID: 145470 Views:1554 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
What's people's view on the sound quality on these phones. We have had one for several years and have always had poor sound quality and most times garbled. We have resorted to using it for texts only
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Dick K - Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 20:01

Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 20:01
I've had my XT-Lite for about a year. Rang my sister to try it out and found the speaker to quiet for my hearing. A set of earbuds solved the problem.
AnswerID: 643172

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 21:21

Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 21:21
I've found that the sound quality was okay but it was hard to maintain the satellite connection. I solved the problem by using a headset. If you have the original handset with the 2.5mm jack, ear buds are no longer available. You can get a 2.5mm headset used for cordless phones that works well. Iirc I got the Uniden one from Office Works, $29.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643176

Reply By: Member - Dick K - Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 23:19

Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 23:19
To get the best satellite connection point the phones antenna at the satellite.
AnswerID: 643177

Reply By: qldcamper - Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 08:34

Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 08:34
My wife has spent hours talking to our daughters on ours and doesnt complain.
AnswerID: 643180

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 15:17

Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 15:17
I have found that the audio quality of a number of my devices was lessening over the years.
My years….. not those of the audio devices!
Could that be related to your problem too?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643182

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2023 at 07:22

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2023 at 07:22
You might have something there Allan,
Quite often my better half talks for ages and I dont hear any of it.
FollowupID: 922838

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 22:41

Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 22:41
I haven't used ours for a while but the sound was good enough that I could talk with work people about things.

We had a magnetic car antenna which made it easier to use - it meant you didn't have to point the phone at the satellites.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643186

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2023 at 13:50

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2023 at 13:50
Had ours for a couple of years. VERY disappointed in the sound/volume.

This is my 3rd satphone over the years and changed to it owing to its using AU mobile number and the fact that anyone could call us without having to use via +61. Im not use that I made the correct decision becaue of its low volume...and my hearing is fine
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643193

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2023 at 16:57

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2023 at 16:57
We have recently changed our satphone from the XT-lite we have carried for over 5 years.During that time it didn't get a lot of use, but we had no complaints when using it. We did get a plug in earphone so we could move a bit without moving the antenna away from the satellite. Never once used it for an emergency. I did test it now & then & picked up a full satellite signal from Cockle Creek in Tassie up to Kalumburu in the north Kimberley. We consider it a good value phone, basic, a bit clunky, but the satsleeve hotspot seems head & shoulders better. Have only made a couple of calls with it, but sound quality was no different to usual on my phone (Iphone XS). It works almost seamlessly. The idea for the switch had been there for a while, but became a decision after we saw someone "just talking' to someone at a remote station, (wandering around indoors as they spoke) where there was no phone signal. We enquired how was this possible? They smiled & pointed to the satsleeve hotspot up on a shelf. We waited almost a couple of years until one came up at a good price.

We changed for several reasons.
1. the opportunity arose to get a secondhand Thuraya Satsleeve Hotspot for only $150 more than we sold the XT-lite for.
2. Due to infrequent use each time we used the XT-lite was a re-learning process, not ideal in an emergency situation, whereas using our usual phone is fluent.
3. All our contacts are on the usual phone.
4. The press a button several times per letter when sending a text on the XT-lite was just so clunky compared to a touch screen.
5. The Hotspot sets up a 30 metre wifi signal for the satphone. We can sit in the shade, walk around, stay out of the sun which made the screen hard to see on the XT-lite. All whilst the connection to satellite remains where we've placed it.
6. No change of account/sim needed. Just put the sim from the XT-lite into the Satsleeve hotspot & we were in business.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643194

Sponsored Links