Exploroz Traveller V8.02 question

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 08:48
ThreadID: 145440 Views:1861 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
The new Traveller arrived in the iOS App Store overnight. The App Store didn't alert me to an update when I checked it, so I searched for Exploroz Traveller which found the old version with "Open' as the option. I clicked on 'Open' which then changed to 'Update' - giving the version as 8.02.

So far so good

Once downloaded & opened the red error message 'Synch error' as in screenshot below was immediately present. In 'Settings' Auto Synch is enabled.

I an unsure what to do. Should I manually synch before or after purchasing EOTopo 2023, or both?
Just a bit concerned if I get it wrong I could cause myself a heap of strife.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris P5 - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 09:57

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 09:57
Hi, I have encountered the same problem although iPad is not synced to any other device. Any help appreciated.
AnswerID: 643122

Follow Up By: Member - William B - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 10:04

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 10:04
I have a similar problem on my Android phone.
My tablet seems fine.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

FollowupID: 922772

Reply By: Member - William B - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 10:27

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 10:27
I turned off auto synch and then turned it on again and that seems to have fixed the auto such error.
Now I can not download the 2023 EOTopo upgrade.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

AnswerID: 643123

Reply By: Matthew G3 - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 10:47

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 10:47
Hi Cuppa
I found that if i went to RESETS down the bottom, then prest Clear Maps {Remove & Reset Map Pack Downloads} it fixed the SYNC Error straight away and able to download. Matt
AnswerID: 643124

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 11:05

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 11:05
If you get his error once then just simply click on the Sync button in Data Manager this will clear the error and attempt the resync. If it continues to fail then something else has happened or you may need to adjust the download page sizes in the settings area however looking at your screen shots this is not the case and a simple press on the Sync button should solve it all.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643125

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 11:14

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 11:14
Thanks David, the manual sync worked as you described. Now to obtain the the new maps. Fingers crossed. :)

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 922773

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 18:29

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 18:29
All good David & Michelle. Successfully installed in iphone & ipad.

One small glitch you might want to know about is in the deleting of the EOTopo 2021

Same on both devices. iPhone XS & ipad 6th Generation.

Deleting XhiRes Pack & HiResPacks was ok, but deleting the Low res pack the slider just kept repeating 0-100% indefinitely.

Shutting down the app & restarting it fixed it.
It was deleted on the restart on the iphone. On the ipad it still showed as being loaded & offered the delete option again. Hitting the delete option saw it immediately change to 'Download', telling me it had been deleted.

FollowupID: 922785

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 19:08

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2023 at 19:08
Glad its sorted for you now Cuppa but just a tip for anyone else - use the Clear Maps option instead of deleting each pack separately - its a simple one flush and is a much cleaner/faster way to delete your maps. Do this before you download your 2023 maps to ensure you have enough storage etc. The 2021 licence is still supported so if you ever did want to download them again you could.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922786

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Mar 23, 2023 at 13:24

Thursday, Mar 23, 2023 at 13:24
I shall try to remember that next time around David & Michelle .................................. I promise. :)

It will be easier if we are on a good fast internet service instead of a crappy satellite one which is slow at the best of times & comes & goes with the weather.

It's wet season here & so it rains on & off, with the 'net disappearing each time.

What is excellent about the EOTopo downloads is that when cut off like that they can be resumed where they left off when the 'net went out. A particularly useful facet for travellers I imagine.

I managed to get the download all done on the iphone within about an hour, but things slowed when doing the ipad & & with more' 'rain interuptions' too. Took almost 5 hours on the ipad, sometimes with downloads appearing to get stuck, but resuming when I closed the app & restarted it. Quite a mission. Not your fault though.

Wouldn't be an issue if we were somewhere with faster internet, but it's several years since we have had that 'luxury'.

And because of this I do appreciate how the downloads are not only 'resumable' but also how they are structured into separate packages.

FollowupID: 922797

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Thursday, Mar 23, 2023 at 14:17

Thursday, Mar 23, 2023 at 14:17
One thing that I have always thought would be useful is the ability to store the map files offline, even if it was in their compressed format, so that you could reload them without the internet. If this was possible, you would only have to download them once for use on multiple devices and if there was a device or human stuff up when you were off-grid you would be covered. For example, instead of going back to the tablet home screen, I inadvertently deleted the maps off my Android tablet, I had the data manager open and the clear maps box slightly overlapped the controls on the bottom of the screen and fat finger syndrome took over. It's device specific, on my phone it's clear and yes it does require a second click, but at the time it was late, and I was setting up devices to download overnight, just the sort of conditions for a snafu but could be repeated if you were under pressure when travelling.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922798

Sponsored Links