off road from marble bar to jupiters well and onto alice springs

hi community
iam reasonably new at posting a thread, so please bear with me.
I will be travelling from MARBLE BAR WA across to JUPITERS WELL on the gary junction road and then continuing on across to ALICE SPRINGS.
so just enquiring what would be the best route and also where is fuel available?
my understanding is that jupiters well is a permanent drinkable water source.
robert
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 13:28

Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 13:28
Not many route options, just follow your nose east. Last time we went through there it was a 2WD road.
Most communities had fuel available, but since covid it is worth giving them a call first.
Water at Jupiter Well is pretty good.
You will need a couple of permits to transit Aboriginal land. Free and available on line.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 642755

Follow Up By: Members - North200 - Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 16:15

Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 16:15
Check the opening times of the community stores
FollowupID: 922371

Follow Up By: Member - astrowa - Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 20:08

Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 20:08
thanks for the photos - the track looks awesome for a motorbike. yes licensed motorbike
FollowupID: 922374

Reply By: Member - astrowa - Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 13:43

Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 13:43
hi peter
thanks for the advice / much appreciated. i will actually be heading across there on an off road motorbike, so your description of the road sounds pretty good to me.
AnswerID: 642756

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 17:11

Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 17:11
"off road motorbike"
Registered, I presume?
A pile of road pics from 2008 heading E-W. A bit old, but it does not change much.

And spend a couple of days at Carawine Gorge
EDIT: pics are a bit shuffled, but you get the idea....
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 922372

Reply By: lkyphl - Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 17:50

Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 17:50
Robert,

On my trip across the Gary Junction road, fuel was cheaper if one paid with cash,

Phil
AnswerID: 642757

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 18:04

Sunday, Jan 29, 2023 at 18:04
You know why it was cheaper………not through the till and straight into the operator’s pocket, it’s well known.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922373

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 14:57

Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 14:57
Fuel is very difficult to sell for black money, you cant buy a fuel delivery with cash and there is only so much you can write off to your genset.
FollowupID: 922378

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 15:05

Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 15:05
Was speaking to a community auditor last year at Timber Creek

Unfortunately it is so common fir community stores to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars each year.

He was telling me one store was missing four hundred thousand dollars.

Managers were immediately sacked, police could do nothing until the community laid charged, which the elders refused to do.

So they got away with and and to make things even worse, seeing he had no criminal conversations, got the same job as manages at another Aboriginal community and he was powerless to act.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922379

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 16:49

Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 16:49
Makes you sick doesnt it.
Sounds like even the taxation department has their hands tied.
FollowupID: 922380

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 18:34

Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 18:34
"Unfortunately it is so common fir community stores to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars each year."

What we need is an Indigenous voice in Parliament - that should fix the problem :)

Happy, safe and without stolen fuel travels

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 922381

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 18:47

Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 18:47
Gazz

That would have no effect what so ever.

After he found out that the police could take no action without a request from the elders, he went behind his department and spoke personally with the elders.

It seemed to hard for them and had no concept of what four hundred thousand dollars was. He tried to push them then got in the shit from his department.

What was the thing that really topped things off, the previous managers then get another position with a different community, and there was never ant checking with his previous employment.

He said if the public knew the true extent of what was happening, there would be a public outrage, and this was just in the Northern Territory alone and he said it was widespread right across Australian Aboriginal communities.

I also know one EO member here…..will not dob you in Chris, that came across the same situation in a community in WA, the operator wanted cash, even though they had card facilities.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922382

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 18:59

Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 18:59
"That would have no effect what so ever."

Stephen - tongue in cheek comment as I know it would not have any effect whatsoever.

Sadly this sort of thing (and much more) goes on all the time around outback Australia and don't get me started on what I've had to deal with over the years running my tour company !

Something needs to be done but a voice in Parliament is not one of them !

Cheers
Gazz

FollowupID: 922383

Follow Up By: Members - North200 - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2023 at 07:46

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2023 at 07:46
My experience tells me the elders are usually at the head of corruption in communities.
The voice will only lead to more corruption.
FollowupID: 922386

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2023 at 12:37

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2023 at 12:37
I have been to many communities and those running the stores would seem to me to be all crooks ripping of the communities. So many times I have been told their eftpos machine is not working, sometimes I believe them and pay cash, but if I don't believe them I say give me your bank details and I will transfer the money when I can. Have paid cash sometimes when I get something for it, like a shower or access to an area that is not normally open. We all know that sit down money is a very significant part of the problem and The Voice is only likely to make the problem worse. I have met, and even had a few beers with many aboriginal people, they are good people. Corrupt government policy is the problem.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922423

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2023 at 14:23

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2023 at 14:23
Well I wouldn't know directly, but a very reliable friend who worked for many years in Community Welfare told me that the reason the community stores are managed by people from outside of the community is that if community persons managed the store there would likely be somewhat 'generous' handling of the checkouts. And furthermore, the front door would unreliably be locked.
My informant made no reference to dishonest managers.

n.b. The use of the expression "community" is a deliberate alternative.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 922426

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2023 at 14:52

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2023 at 14:52
Aboriginal culture is very noble in that they share everything. This does not fit in with western culture where what is mine is mine, and what is yours is yours. Therefore it is impossible for an aboriginal to run a business within there own community. That is why the elders of a community employ an outsider to manage their business. As the elders have no way of auditing the work of these managers, they very often are ripped off. If Canberra was really interested in the welfare of our indigenous cousins they would find a solution to this problem.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922427

Reply By: Member - A J - Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 18:55

Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 18:55
astrowa - this trip on youtube may assist you done in 2022 I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmlT5bYTXWc

A J
AnswerID: 642762

Follow Up By: Member - astrowa - Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 20:14

Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 20:14
thanks AJ - great vision and lots of info there
thank you
FollowupID: 922385

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 19:37

Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 19:37
G'day astrowa

Enjoy the ride, take care and stay upright - I loved doing that stuff when I was younger !

Cheers
Gazz
Ps - would you mind telling me what bike you will be on ?
pm me if you prefer
AnswerID: 642763

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 08:22

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 08:22
We travelled east to west on the GJR. Turned off at Telfer Mine before reaching Marble Bar & went down through Karlamilyi (Rudall River) NP. After a more southerly loop (taking in Mt Augustus & the Kennedy Ranges NP) we returned northward to Marble Bar, going out to Carawine Gorge & down Skull Springs Rd back to Marble Bar via Nullagine.

The three Blog posts linked below cover our time on the GJR, Marble Bar to Carawine Gorge, & Skull Springs Rd.

https://cuppa500.com/Blog/the-gary-junction-road/

https://cuppa500.com/Blog/carawine-gorge/

https://cuppa500.com/Blog/skull-springs-road/
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 642776

Sponsored Links