Trip planning - setting your start location

Submitted: Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 21:50
ThreadID: 143737 Views:4047 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, when using the desktop app for planning, how do you set the start location. the app thinks that my current location is 100kms north of my actual position. Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 22:39

Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 22:39
It doesn't matter that your desktop's home position is way out. You can correct that if you want to but I don't know how to do it on an Apple device, only Windows. Sorry. I'm sure someone else can help on that.

When you plan a journey (a Trek) the first point is not where you are. The logic behind this is that it is presumed that you're sitting at home in suburbia or wherever and you want your trek to start at some place remote from where you are. At some later date you will want to navigate from your present position (wherever it is - it may be your home or somewhere else, depending on your plans) to the first point on your Trek.

Eg, you may be at home in Sydney, planning a trek from Port Hedland to Rudall River NP. How you get to Port Hedland may not be known at this stage, you just know you'll be there somehow, sometime. So you plan the PH-RR trek, save it and keep it ready to activate when you get closer to PH.

Create your Trek on your desktop, save it (which saves it to your on-line account), then on your small device update Places and Treks via data manager. This copies your saved trek from your account to your device. On your device use the map layers tool to display treks, tap your trek, tap goto and you will receive directions from your present position to the first point (Port Hedland in the example) of your trek.

If you do the trek planning on your iPad, you can begin navigation without saving. Create the trek (no need to save unless you want to) and then in the nav panel when you're finished, tap the green Begin Navigation button. You'll get instructions from your present position to the first point in the trek.

Remember, a Trek is just a navigation plan. It could be a major outback, remote area biggie or a visit to a local but unfamiliar address. Doesn't matter, it works the same way.

Hope this helps.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640605

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 18:16

Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 18:16
Well, Simon, did I help or did I miss the point or did I waste my time?
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919697

Reply By: Alex S11 - Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 22:42

Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 22:42
Hi, I cannot comment on the app, but these kind of problems happen if your computer does not have GPS and has to rely on internet to work out your location.
AnswerID: 640606

Sponsored Links