Swags - CC or Saul

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 23, 2021 at 15:10
ThreadID: 142615 Views:4578 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys, first post on here. I’m currently tossing up between the Saul single swag or the Candy Canvas 2’6” single deluxe. I do a lot of trips on foot and I’m aiming to have my my clothes, bedding and other small items rolled up in the swag to save some room. I like the Saul swag because of their life time guarantee, no poles or zips and it’s size, particularly the diameter and weight. Does anyone know what diameter the above CC swag is. any recommendations? Pros and Cons for both swags?

Cheers guys, appreciate it
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 08:10

Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 08:10
Hi Harry,

Why don’t you contact the manufacturer/distributor and ask them? When I “googled” Candy Canvas Swags, there are very few details given as to the dimensions of the Swag, just the length, not the full dimensions when rolled.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638034

Follow Up By: Harry E - Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 14:32

Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 14:32
Hey mate, yeah I found the details and gave them a call, Jane, the owner wasn’t sure of the diameter but said it was quite large, she was very helpful and offered to make me one with 8 ounce canvas. However I decided to go with the Saul as it just seemed to be a little more compact and better suited to what I need. Based off my interaction with Jane, I’d definitely recommend them.

Cheers
FollowupID: 916291

Reply By: Member - Gordon B5 - Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 14:17

Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 14:17
Can't help you with measurements for CC swags but our two sons got 1 each when they turned 16. the eldest has just turned 38, other one 36 in Nov. they both still have them and the eldest son was an outback tour guide for 5 years so his has a lot of miles behind it . He is a bee keeper these days in WA and still uses it when working away on the bee's. He loves it as much now as when he first got it. The original owners sold out & retired quite a few years back now.
He who hesitates is lost

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638064

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Sep 26, 2021 at 07:51

Sunday, Sep 26, 2021 at 07:51
I haven’t used it for years, but I have a Sauls(of Tawonga) swag. I bought it because of it’s versatility & lack of zips. It is bulky & fairly heavy though. No way would I consider using it when walking/hiking. In those circumstances a small ultra lightweight tent, sleeping bag & self inflating mattress would be the go.

If you must use a swag to hike with, I’m guessing you would be using it without a mattress & blanket? One thing to be said for the Saul design is that they are warmer due to the double layer of canvas above you. I have a foam mattress & just a wool blanket in mine, no need for a sleeping bag.

A further comment is my belief, based on experience, that the Saul swag whilst excellent is of a design to suit experienced bushmen/women. Folk who are good at reading the weather & assessing the best way to set up in the circumstances. For most folk a dome type swag would be far easier & agreeable to use.

Perhaps it’s age, but I would no longer consider travelling with a swag without some sort of tarp or awning to put over it.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638076

Sponsored Links