Kings Solar Panels?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 16:26
ThreadID: 141383 Views:18510 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I've been looking at panels for about a week and it'd a minefield.

I stumbled across an equation that can be used to calculate the power of a panel based upon it's dimensions.

I've used this formula on many panels I've looked at. Most panels claim to deliver up to 40% -50% more power than the equation supports. However panels from Kings seem to be advertised reasonably accurately (within 10-20W) or under specified, EG, one of their panels is listed as 110W but the equation supports an output of 193W for the dimensions listed.

I don't know if a good supplier is supplying good panels, you can't tell until you hook them up, so I was thinking at least Kings have a high profile, so I'd hope they would honour any warranty issues.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Kings solar panels?

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 16:59

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 16:59
Siringo
Good luck with warranty claims/issues with all but very well known solar suppliers, ie house panels, and some well respected companies of course. But then again, with those you won't be claiming because it is accurate and as expected, give or take a bit.
193W for a 110W panel? 75% more is good value indeed. Solar panels are stated as a size but ONLY the solar cell area actually generates any power, the border and frame outside the ACTUAL panel cells is there for good looks and support. I have a folding ALDI panel 120w stated which uses two 850 x 520 panels, however, the solar cell dimensions of each panel is 775 x 470 which totals, not 0.884sqm as it reads but 0.72 sqm, which can never generate 120 watts unless the efficiency is remarkably high. They work, but expect less than quoted in specs and claims. I bought a fixed, not folding panel, a while ago and the stated output was not high. The 80w stated was slightly more current than a well known brand of 60 watts. Both tested side by side for SC current.
AnswerID: 635949

Follow Up By: Member - Siringo - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 17:42

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 17:42
You can only go with the information & knowledge you have. I don't expect any solar panel to supply exactly what it's advertised to be able to supply.

I just took a look at Enerdrive panels. They seem to have a good name ATM. When I use that equation with the listed dimensions of their panels, they come up within 5 - 10W of the advertised supply.

So if I apply that equation to the advertised sizes, one supplier is offering panels for half the price of another So is one over priced? Is one under priced? Are there typos in both adverts?

So, does anyone have any experience with Kings panels?
FollowupID: 913770

Reply By: StormCamper - Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 03:30

Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 03:30
That equation is only a ballpark rough guess without knowing the real conversion efficiency. Use 16-17% and dont include the borders of the panels.
The tragedy of this equation is it actually tells you nothing about the quality of the panel. Cheap stuff doesn't last that long, the proper brands like LG, Panasonic etc give long output warranties and have supperior quality but are usually all too big. All the cheap sources I have seen mostly lie about the wattage for marketing. No one ever gets anywhere near the wattage in real world due to losses. Basically if you buy solar and they are portable expect to replace them pretty soon within say 3-7years. Maybe alot sooner if flexible type.
AnswerID: 635958

Reply By: Member - Jim and Trudy - Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 07:40

Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 07:40
I can confirm that the Enerdrive panels are rated conservatively. I put them on a mobile home about ten years ago after much research and they were still behaving and looked as good as new when I sold it last year. I put the same brand on a new truck based camper two years ago and have seen the ammeters reach and just exceed the rated amps on several occasions even though they are mounted flat and the time was well before true midday! Clear blue sky and a cold wind is the trick - and you need an air gap under them!

They have high voltage (about 40v) models that we use to feed an MPPT controller so that it begins to pick up a useful charge from early in the morning when other panels still cannot produce adequate voltage. Jaycar have beaut analog ammeters to put in line and get a good feel for how things are going. You can prise off the clear plastic covers and mark them with a good band to aim for. Ours are hard to get to and clean so by having several I can see when it is time to get up and clean them (as the needles are not in sync.).

Best wishes,
Jim
AnswerID: 635962

Reply By: Member - Siringo - Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 09:14

Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 09:14
Thanks everyone for the help.
AnswerID: 635964

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 12:11

Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 12:11
Not Kings but I purchased 2 x 200 watt Renogy panels couple of months ago. Using a Victron MPPT reg I constantly see 10amps+ on a sunny day. Thats 10 amps each. Very happy with them as I have tried quite a few and many disappoint.
FollowupID: 913789

Follow Up By: mike39 - Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 17:52

Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 17:52
I have a SolarKing 120w. folding panel residing in the back of the shed. A season of use, regulator replaced, it was branded MPPT but not such, the replacement no branding but obviously identical and MPW. The panels are a strange configuration, each one 5 cells x 11 cells, 110 cells total.
Why is it down the back of the shed....because its maximum output, in full summer sun on a 3/4 discharged battery never went above 3.5 amps at 13.6 volts measured with accurate digital meters
Not worth the postage to send it back, and I would not give such a shoddy item to anyone free
FollowupID: 913800

Reply By: nickb - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 00:44

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 00:44
I have had a 100W Kings fixed solar panel for over a year, cost me $110 delivered. Puts out about 5.5A in full sun. No complaints, so far so good.

Also had 2x 120W folding "Rich" branded solar panels on my camper roof, they appear to be 120W on the area/solar formula. They are mounted flat and when the sun is directly above them I have seen 12.5A output. Had them for 8 years and they were pretty cheap back then, about $160 each from memory.

I have noticed that while cheap solar panels aren't as efficient as "good" ones they seems to last just as long. My mates have had similar experiences.
AnswerID: 636057

Follow Up By: Member - Siringo - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 09:35

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 09:35
Purchased a 250W foldable panel from Kings, should arrive this week. I'll do some tests on it when I get time. I've from others saying the same thing, they may not be the best, but they seem to hold up pretty well.
FollowupID: 913874

Sponsored Links