Using Traveller on laptop and tablet

Submitted: Friday, Apr 09, 2021 at 09:57
ThreadID: 141377 Views:7064 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I have downloaded everything to my laptop and was wondering if I can also use the app on my tablet given I have purchased everything. Does the one licence allow me to use two devices?? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Apr 09, 2021 at 10:58

Friday, Apr 09, 2021 at 10:58
I've downloaded onto two iPads and two iPhones. As long as the format is the same it should all be sweet.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635935

Follow Up By: RedProw - Friday, Apr 09, 2021 at 11:01

Friday, Apr 09, 2021 at 11:01
Multiple devices can only be used if it is the same platform ie Android, IOS, Windows. If you are wanting to use it on a different platform it will need to be purchased.
FollowupID: 913746

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Apr 09, 2021 at 11:02

Friday, Apr 09, 2021 at 11:02
If your tablet is a Windows device (eg MS Surface), yes.

If your tablet is iOS or Android, no, you will have to buy a second licence, ie purchase from the relevant app store.

The above only applies to the Traveller app itself. Your EOTopo licence can be used on all devices on all platforms.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635936

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 05:56

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 05:56
It makes it too expensive. I too like to plan on a PC then use the Tablet for travelling. Some competitors allow use of all platforms.

EO should consider a significant discount for the second platform type.

I suggest if you get the Tablet version then you can get the PC platform supplement for $5 - 10. Maybe cripple the GPS interface for the PC version.

It is one of the main reasons I keep delaying buying this platform, though it does have some other great features. A trial period would be great too. You can't expect buyers to read an entire manual to see if it is suitable, which is the usual EO answer to any feature question.
AnswerID: 635944

Follow Up By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 08:49

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 08:49
Has anyone tried running the Android version through something like Bluestacks on a PC?
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

FollowupID: 913758

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 09:39

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 09:39
Yes. It works a treat. Exactly the same as on an Android device.

However because it was a desktop, not a laptop and therefore immobile, I did not attempt to test it with a GPS mouse.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913759

Follow Up By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 12:09

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 12:09
Could this be the answer to Boobooks dilemma - just buy the Android version and run it on a tablet and through Bluestacks on the PC at home. Might give it a go myself.
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

FollowupID: 913763

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 12:34

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 12:34
Yes, I'm sure it would be.

Boobook, if you want to try it download and install Bluestacks Android emulator V4 for PC or MAC as required here.

(V5 is in beta. I suppose you could try it, it's there as an option, but V 4 is stable.)

When you run it go to Google Play and search for ExplorOz Traveller. (Somewhere in the process , I can't recall exactly where, you'll have to sign into your Google account.) If you already own Traveller on Android you will be able to install it without another purchase.

You can install any other Android app you like, obviously.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913765

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 20:58

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 20:58
I was running EO Traveller on my PC using Bluestacks without any issues, then when the Windows version was offered at a discount I purchased a license. The PC version actually took more setting up than using the emulator. Android app emulated wasn't bothered by the lack of a GPS whereas the location setting had to be disabled in the PC app settings before you could save a trek. Thanks to Michelle for diagnosing the problem. I presume the Android app was happy with the location provided by the network?
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 913775

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2021 at 05:00

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2021 at 05:00
Thanks All, I want a native windows app. I am very familiar with Android emulators. Most don't support location and are too clunky to use every day. I have an Android Tablet so would use that, but I want a windows version.
FollowupID: 913811

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2021 at 12:37

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2021 at 12:37
The Traveller App is a bargain for what you get. In very remote locations it could just save your bacon knowing exactly where you are and the best escape route. The App at $59.99 per platform is very small in relation to the device you use it on. Remember you only pay once for the maps $49.99. If you think the Traveller App is expensive go and look at Hema and Garmin units, they are a lot more expensive. Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 635993

Sponsored Links