Honda 20eui-fuel filter

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 06, 2021 at 22:08
ThreadID: 141367 Views:6865 Replies:4 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all- has anyone here had any experience changing the fuel filter on the above mentioned generator?
I’ve cleaned out the three jets in the carby - which improved things a lot - but it is still running a bit rough on eco throttle . YouTube suggests I have to pull the front of it off to reach the fuel filter. Just wondering if anyone has done this and whether it helped or not ? Ta - ozdoc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 07:01

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 07:01
Always good practice to clean/replace filters but if it is getting enough fuel to run ok at full speed it should get plenty to idle.
I would be double checking the jets and air filter.
Also never hurts to try a new spark plug.
AnswerID: 635916

Reply By: mike39 - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 08:59

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 08:59
In my EU20i manual, the only mention of fuel filter cleaning is the one located in the neck of the fuel tank, beneath the fuel filler cap. It lifts out quite easily but should not be causing rough running.
Many of these models run rough under low load due to the setting of the idle mixture screw which has limited scope for adjustment.
To cure the rough running similar to what you are experiencing I had to remove the carby. and with a toolmaker grinder remove the metal preventing the mixture screw from turning.
A simple matter then to adjust the slow running mixture but maybe not entirely legal!
The procedure is on Google
AnswerID: 635918

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 09:17

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 09:17
After a thorough clean of all jets to remove some petrol scum which affects the finest of holes/ports at the butterfly, I had to do the same as mike39, to ensure correct adjustment of the idle screw and smooth transition running. Factory tag locked idle mixture may be ok while perfectly clean inside but with use miniscule amounts of residue affect it. Without doing that it will fluctuate in it's operation. Running rough is different again.
PS, if it speeds up and then slows down repeatedly and is not misfiring then t isn't the spark plug as spark plugs fail under acceleration load if they are faulty.
FollowupID: 913693

Follow Up By: Kylie M - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 09:41

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 09:41
Thanks RMD - what did you use to remove the stop shoulder off the screw? How much adjustment did it require ? Doc
FollowupID: 913696

Reply By: Kylie M - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 09:08

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 09:08
Thanks guys- I’ve pulled the carby off twice and each time it was a bit gummed up- I’m thinking I need to clean the fuel tank and lines . There is a pencil type plastic “strainer” filter in the fuel line just below the fuel tank - I was going to pull this out and replace it in case it is full of crud. Machine would have to be about 12 years old with not a lot of hours on it .looks like new. Been to Honda service man twice but didn’t improve things. I’m thinking there must be some buildup in the tank or fuel filter. Not ready to start grinding the intake adjustment on the carby yet - but that may be for the future. Ta doc.
AnswerID: 635919

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 09:27

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 09:27
"Looks new and not much" use is the exact condition/situation which causes the scum buildup in the idle exit port around the idle needle screw point because it dries there. Probably not much worry with tank or lines as they probably stay wet with fuel. Any large crap would block the main jet first and it then wouldn't accelerate up in speed because of starvation and leanness. I snipped off the cast aluminium lug which prevented adjustment of the idle screw. There is nothing wrong with doing so. I did remove the idle screw and used a wire brush strand pulled out of a wire brush to clean the very small port. Soaking the bare carby " No gaskets of plastic bits", in acetone will help move dissolve stubborn scum inside. I used a small tin for that operation.
FollowupID: 913694

Follow Up By: Kylie M - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 10:37

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 10:37
“Snipped off” -what did you use for that? I’m thinking I’m going to have to try that - be a lot easier than pulling off the front to get at the fuel tank . I gave it a good run for 5 hours on weekend with a fridge on it. Runs perfect at normal throttle, but hunts a bit on eco throttle with no load or small load. Has had this issue for last 2 years. Didn’t have this issue before that. Only gets used a few weeks each year. Doc
FollowupID: 913698

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 11:06

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 11:06
I did it a while ago now and think I used pointy side cutter pliers to knaw at the lug unit it was able to be broken off. I suppose you could also use a small dia drill and chew at it until able to be broken off. Getting the holes clean is most important because if they are not clean then adjustment with the screw is ineffective. Once clean, only a small adjustment of screw in the open direction. ie anticlockwise.
FollowupID: 913701

Follow Up By: Kylie M - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 11:15

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 11:15
Rito- I think I’ll strip it and soak it, and then see if I can adjust the idle screw - job for this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions, doc
FollowupID: 913702

Follow Up By: Member - Dick K - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 12:32

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 12:32
This may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdUlhJFHlDU
FollowupID: 913707

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 13:27

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 13:27
You can buy bottles of StaBil fuel additive from Supercheap, that aids engines that are stored for long periods. Keeps the ULP from becoming stale, and may help reduce deposits forming in the carby?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 913708

Follow Up By: Duncanm - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 14:28

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 14:28
My Honda would not start at one stage. Turned out to be a small mud wasp type insect had deposited mud up the exhaust pipe. Apparently it’s the perfect size they like to built a nest. Bit of gentle pushing and poking with a screw driver cleaned it out and a couple of pulls and it started fine and blew the rest of the junk out. Back to smooth running after not starting at all.
FollowupID: 913709

Follow Up By: Kylie M - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 19:29

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 19:29
Duncan does yours have a spark arrestor? I pulled the back off mine to clean the spark arrestor and it didn’t have one - didn’t see any wasp nest - just carbon . Doc
FollowupID: 913721

Follow Up By: Duncanm - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 20:23

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 20:23
I am pretty sure it does have a spark arrester. I will have to check it out. I did find this link to show what to do. How to clean.
FollowupID: 913723

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 19:19

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 19:19
My tip for all these types of petrol engines, I do it all the time with my motorbikes and lawnmowers and such.
If the engine isn’t going to be used for 2 or 3 weeks , turn the fuel of and run it out or drain the carby.
ULP gums up sitting in the carby. Also seems to go stale whereas “fresh “ fuel from the fuel tank starts easier as well.
Cheers
Shane
AnswerID: 635922

Follow Up By: Member - Dick K - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 21:16

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 21:16
You can't run the fuel out of the carby on a Honda EU20 because the fuel switch is also the ON/OFF switch. You will have to manually drain the fuel out of the carby, if you can get it all out. I've been running fuel stabilizer in my generators and chain saws for a long time with no problems.
FollowupID: 913724

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 21:45

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2021 at 21:45
An Eu2 has a specific drain hose from the carby bowl immediately after a drain screw. When NOT going to use it the idea is to drain the carby bowl so it IS dry. Smart people these Japanese folk. No fuel enters the carby unless pumped there by the transfer pump which is operated by crankcase pressure fluctuations. tKes a few pulls of the cord to fill the carby if it has been drained for storage. All in the manual.
FollowupID: 913725

Sponsored Links