Incorrect position

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 14:44
ThreadID: 141336 Views:7116 Replies:2 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
I am using ExplorOz on my PC and the GPS position is incorrect. I am sitting in suburban Adelaide and it thinks I am in Alice Springs - any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 15:12

Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 15:12
I assume you have an external gps plugged in? May need calibrating/setting up correctly.
AnswerID: 635867

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 15:13

Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 15:13
I had the same issue.

Your PC doesn't have a GPS so Traveller cannot get a real-time position info .

However in the absence of a GPS, Windows will supply its Default Location to Traveller (and other apps that use location info).

All you need to do to is change your default location in Windows.

Type Location in Window's search box,
Open Location Privacy settings in the pop-up
Scroll to Default Location and click the Set Default button.
Follow the prompts to set your current position on the map that appears.

Now go back to Traveller and click the GPS lock icon (gunsight at the bottom left of the screen)
Traveller will centre on your set location.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635868

Follow Up By: Paula R1 - Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 15:32

Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 15:32
Thanks Frank that worked!!
FollowupID: 913580

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 17:18

Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 17:18
You still need a GPS signal from some device, connected, so any change in position will track as intended, as Bigfish mentioned.
FollowupID: 913587

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 19:19

Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 19:19
Yes, RMD (and Bigfish), that's correct, but the OP has said it's a PC, not a laptop, so I presume it is desk-bound and unlikely to change position until the next house move. LOL

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913592

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 20:19

Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 20:19
Frank P
I understand that for a PC, but is there any point to having that location register correctly if never moving?
FollowupID: 913593

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 21:18

Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 21:18
RMD,

You'd have to ask the OP that question. There are times when it is handy and times when it is irrelevant.

For some of what I do in Traveller it is relevant. At other times it is not. It is easy to disable the default centering so you can customise Traveller's behaviour to suit your purposes.

And seeing that a laptop is a mobile PC, having the ability to set the default location to present position, wherever that happens to be on your travels, is probably useful if planning next day's route.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913595

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 22:43

Saturday, Apr 03, 2021 at 22:43
If it is a portable PC / laptop then ok, makes sense then.
FollowupID: 913600

Follow Up By: Member - Jim and Trudy - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 16:32

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 16:32
My w10 notebook has that sort of problem too and it is frustrating when doing any sort of route planning as ExplorOz really doesn't cope well when a GPS fix is not accurate let alone missing (even if you update your default position). In my case a message keeps flashing irritably and covers the lower centre status area of the program's window. I would be happy to buy a GPS if I knew it was properly supported but every link I followed a year ago came to a dead end as it turns out that Microsoft had not properly supported any external GPS devices for the Windows v10 "Location Services" that ExplorOz uses, leading to some dodgy workarounds.

Perhaps I will start a new thread to see if things have improved in the last year or so in this regard? David does seem to have made many improvements to his program in that time.
FollowupID: 913767

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 17:45

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 17:45
Jim,

Check this page.

From that page:

[quote]
Windows 10 devices will need configuration of the GPS as a Windows GPS Sensor. This is not possible without installing a tool such as GPS Complete (free download from https://www.gpssensordrivers.com/).
[/quote]

I have tried that for the exercise. It took a bit of fiddling about, but I have made Traveller's (and OziExplorer's) moving maps work on both my Win10 PC and my Win10 laptop. (Well the map didn't move much on my PC :-) but the annoying "poor GPS signal" popup went away.)
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913771

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 21:05

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 21:05
Stephen L has written on his blog how to set up a Bad Elf external gps for a Windows machine here.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 913776

Follow Up By: Member - Jim and Trudy - Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 23:10

Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 at 23:10
Thanks Frank, Warren and Stephen L!

It's off to the Internet for me to find a bad elf . . .
a$237 at Amazon Australia ($300 elswhere), WOW! that is expensive, but it is a 2.5m accuracy model so I could pressume it is better in other ways as well? Manual is dated 2012 and no mention of Windows being supported (all Apple).
It seems very reluctant to mention Windows anywhere. I did find that it is mentioned here https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-2200-detail. The later model (with a simple + sign after Pro) is ~$100 dearer but same applies.

Did you buy one too Warren? Happy with it?
Thanks again
Jim
FollowupID: 913780

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 18:15

Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 18:15
Hi Jim, no I don't have one yet. I am thinking of using our iPad mini as a replacement for an inadequate Android tablet. To get a tablet with >=4GB ram it now has to be 10" which does not suit my setup. The iPad is a Wi-Fi only device so no gps. Hence the need for an external gps.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 913801

Follow Up By: Member - Jim and Trudy - Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 19:15

Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 19:15
I've pretty much decided that it is better to go with the flow and as we have never bought any sort of tablet, maybe now is the time, and the $$ for a GPS can go towards a model with a GPS built in. Will carefully measure up the cab and see what size makes sense tomorrow, and then take the plunge. The robust RAM-Mount post assembly-of-bits can swing from side to side which suits us well too.

Jim
FollowupID: 913804

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 20:11

Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 20:11
Jim,

If you've never really used a tablet before you may be surprised at how easy it is to do routine daily stuff on it that you would otherwise maybe do on a laptop or PC, be it Windows or Mac.

It won't replace said PC entirely, but if you choose wisely so it integrates readily with your phone you will find handling photos, social media if that is your bent, internet, email, etc will be just as easy on a tablet as a laptop or PC.

An inexpensive Bluetooth keyboard would be a recommended addition. Much easier than typing on a virtual keyboard.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913806

Follow Up By: Member - Jim and Trudy - Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 20:33

Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 20:33
It's true.
Managed to avoid them until now!
Always enjoyed fast Windows computers; and being away from the Internet . . . or perhaps, not letting myself get too dependant on the Internet for anything serious.

This has been particularly rewarding 'out bush' where all my utilities tend to just keep working.
Windows 10 has put an end to that philosophy however . . . I detest the way that it is always 'updating' and yet never advises how I am any better off for the damn inconvenience.

Jim
FollowupID: 913807

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 21:21

Monday, Apr 12, 2021 at 21:21
I agree Jim.

I dislike the look and feel of Win10, much prefer Win7. I have legacy programs that used to look great in Win7 but look crappy in Win10. I don't need the bling, bells and whistles of Office 365 - much prefer the legit copy of Office 2007 Enterprise that I have. Trying to make Outlook 2007 work properly on my Win10 laptop has been a trial of endurance, but I have beaten the %^&&*(s.

I subscribe to a Windows newsletter. Every month they issue a DEFCON alert - switch off Win10 updates until every other sucker has suffered the rollout, have MS fix the issues, then 3 or 4 weeks later allow the update when it's safe.

Did you know you can defer updates by about a month in Settings.

Also, if you set your PC's internet to "Metered", Windows Update will not push big updates through to you for fear of you incurring a cost without being given the choice to accept it. It's a handy stalling tactic.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913808

Follow Up By: Member - Jim and Trudy - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2021 at 09:47

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2021 at 09:47
Ha ha . . . all great points Frank :-)

I'm pretty sure that I have all settings as conservative as possible, but had not thought of the "metered" idea.

To be fair I have not had any bad updates come through (probably my settings are ok) but I love the ability to leave things half done on my desktop until an appropriate time to attend to them - a sort of lazy mans to do list . . .

Finding the computer has rebooted overnight throws me in a spin. Thankfully I have lost work often enough to now being a frequent saver . . . but the ordasity of m$ thinking that they have that right is beweildering.

Reading the T&Cs on installation is enough to disgust any one if they could wade through it (the bad stuff is usually near the end). They claim the right to send every keystroke to their servers!! And want to have a copy of every thing on the clipboard to be able to peruse, store, search across, etc.

But that is the reason that we sorts head bush! ;-)
FollowupID: 913812

Sponsored Links