Strzelecki Track

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021 at 06:58
ThreadID: 141315 Views:5420 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Travelling down the Strzelecki Tk in a couple of months from Innamincka to Leigh Ck, wanting to ask your opinions on either staying on the Strzelecki Tk from Mt Hopeless to Lyndshurst or going down the Mt Hopeless road direct to Leigh Ck. No plans to visit Arkaroola Village this trip.

My questions are: Which way has ?

More to see
Generally has better road conditions (know this can vary)
The better drive
More picturesque

Regards
CJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:49

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:49
I know this isnt answering your question but we were told about a free camp on a lake just south of Leigh ck looked beautiful.
Planned a stay there into our trip and found the gates perminantly closed. Might have been the mine that funded it so their staff had somewhere on their breaks. The mine had just closed when we went through.
Be interesting so see if it has opened again.
It was still ok wikicamps back then as operating.
AnswerID: 635787

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021 at 09:16

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021 at 09:16
We like the Balcanoona - Mount Hopeless route when going north from Adelaide or visa versa, but we would generally stay on the gravel until further south than leigh Creek, but it is a very nice drive between Balcanoona and Leigh Creek, certainly nicer than the southern bit of the Strz. Good road.
Don't be between Balcanoona and Mt Hopeless if it rains.

Another alternative if you have time is the bit between Mount Freeling and Moolawatana. This is the very last undeveloped public road in the Flinders. Quite slow and not suitable for vans.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 635788

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021 at 10:26

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021 at 10:26
Re the bit between Mount Freeling and Moolawatana. Have done it in both directions and scenery is top rate. Friends towed a Goldstream Crown 14 foot offroad van as seen in pix here at Terrapinna Waterhole. OP did not mention towing so the drive would be a doddle if just by 4WD. A few fun sections driving along creekbeds but IIRC no need for low range.
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 913471

Sponsored Links