Server Tracking Glitch

Submitted: Monday, Mar 01, 2021 at 20:24
ThreadID: 141175 Views:5308 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We are tripping up through NSW and Qld using a Samsung tablet as a display in the car. Running the latest Explore Oz Traveller. Brilliant. Tablet doesn’t have a SIM card so relying on our phone to upload out position.
Had to use the phone to navigate around Caloundra and while we were using it, our positions were not synching with the server. No big deal but I thought I had a problem before I realised it only happened while we used the phone as a navigator.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 09:22

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 09:22
I also use a Samsung tablet but it has its own GPS so does not need a phone to navigate. The tablet is excellent as size is everything when trying to see maps. I also have street maps on the tablet but it does not navigate. I use a Tom Tom for that if required.
AnswerID: 635343

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 09:53

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 09:53
I use EO Traveller on a Samsung Tab S6 tablet. In towns I also use Street maps and they DO navigate, provided there is mobile coverage - which most towns have.

If you have set up navigation to a destination before leaving a mobile service area and subsequently enter an area with no mobile service, you can still use Traveller's street map and it will navigate because the nav data was stored locally when you first set up the route. With no mobile service it won't recalculate when you go off route, but if you stay on the calculated route it will continue to tell you when to turn, etc.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912912

Follow Up By: mepvic - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 12:01

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 12:01
Thanks gents. Normally use the Landcruiser gps and screen map for navigating in town but on this occasion we were moving and couldn’t set a position in the car navigation system. Phone was handy and my wife picked it up and used it. We also have other maps on the tablet that we have used here and overseas but good old Google Maps on the iPhone was more convenient. No real concern. Just a point of interest. Will use the wife’s phone next time and not the one sending our positions to the EO server
FollowupID: 912920

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 09:40

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 09:40
mepvic
Are you using the GPS in the phone or relying on position signals the phone receives from towers for positioning? Not clear what you mean. Also, what SERVER is involved? OR is it you are losing tower signal info and travelling to a different position, hence the error and no server, as such is involved?
AnswerID: 635344

Follow Up By: mepvic - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 14:45

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 14:45
Thanks RMD. Started to reply to you this morning then had to go out. Just come home and have seen Michelle’s reply. Have replied to her and that should explain our situation a bit better
FollowupID: 912929

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 14:01

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 14:01
Hi mepvic,
I can understand this so for others that you've managed to confuse, I'll restate your situation and give an explanation about what is the "glitch" as you put it...

Your tablet has a GPS (but not a SIM) which allows you to view your current position on the maps offline as well as track and record offline as you travel. So when you get to towns and get mobile service you connect the hotspot from your iPhone and the tracking data syncs from your device to your online account (ie. syncs to the ExplorOz service).

But what you're saying, is you noticed that when you used the phone to use Google maps (to walk around the town or whatever out of the vehicle) at the same time as it was trying to sync, that it couldn't do both tasks at once. .... the most logical cause of this is that you moved the iPhone too far away from the vehicle so that the hotspot connection to the tablet was disconnected.

Alternatively, the iPhone wasn't able to process both tasks at the same time. The syncing would simply resume automatically when it could as all it is doing it providing the network for the data from your tablet to be sent to ExplorOz.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 635351

Follow Up By: mepvic - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 14:43

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 14:43
Thanks Michelle.
Almost there.
We don’t use the phone as a hot spot for the tablet. Tablet is purely to display our position, via its own gps onto the EO Traveller maps, snail trail and places etc. We have EO traveller on our phone as well and that is what syncs our position to your server.
Looks like our phone can’t do two things at the same time, navigate us on google maps and send our positions to your server.
Once we stopped using google, the phone reverted to sending our positions to you (but not where we had been while navigating. )
Next day was fine. Tracked us from Caloundra to Bribie Island with out a glitch. Great system.
FollowupID: 912928

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 14:49

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 14:49
Ah ok, so the info about the tablet confused me sorry.
OK - so you've got Traveller on an iPhone and have the Member's Tracker feature enabled so this syncs to your online account (via our server) when it is online - got it. But when you open the other GPS app (Google maps) the Traveller app goes into the background - so in iOS this usually turns off the GPS to the background app unless you have accepted the location permission to be "Always". Check that is set up please.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912930

Follow Up By: mepvic - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 15:14

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 15:14
Hi Michelle. Checked the settings for EO Traveller in my phone and ‘Always’’ is ticked.
So it seems that even though it is ticked, the iOS on the phone won’t let Traveller send it’s positions.
FollowupID: 912934

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 15:44

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2021 at 15:44
Ok, so if you've given Location "Always" permission the only other reason it may not actively be tracking you when using Google maps is that somehow the Traveller app was shut down/closed and not just pushed to the background??.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912936

Follow Up By: mepvic - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 09:26

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 09:26
Thanks Michelle. Don't normally shut the app down but it must have been if all else points to that being the problem. Will keep monitoring it and let you know if it occurs again. Think we'll use the other phone from now on if we need Google Maps.
FollowupID: 912946

Sponsored Links