camping

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 19:11
ThreadID: 141146 Views:19118 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
any pros and cons on the kick ass hot water service. and their 12 volt electric blanket thanks for future answers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 08:20

Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 08:20
You don't say what you want the hot water service for but I tried several similar units and gave up.

Here is my take way
They are no use for dish washing water, or coffee / tea, only showers.
They are ok for showers but are fiddly and take a long time to get right with temperatures.
You should have them set up permanently somewhere otherwise it will take longer to set up than have a shower.
The temperature can fluctuate from too hot to too cold in seconds if you turn the flow on and off. You can spend your time adjusting flow rates and temperate, and use much of your water before starting to shower.
You tend to use a lot of water.

Note I am not specifically talking about the Kickass one but they are all the same form the ones I got.

You can get everything right, especially if you have a water supply like a river or tap. But in the end it was more trouble than it was worth for me.

AnswerID: 635245

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 15:28

Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 15:28
"You don't say what you want the hot water service for but I tried several similar units and gave up. "

I have tried a similar one to the KICKASS Instant Camping Gas Hot Water namely the Joolca HOTTAP. I found it excellent. To get the correct temperature you start off with a setting of 40 degrees and when it gets up to running temperature you get a trusted friend to adjust it up or down a couple of degrees at a time. When you get it right you note the setting and use that setting for subsequent showers. There is very little wastage of water that way.

For subsequent uses, you wet yourself up as it is coming up to temperature, switch the water off, soap yourself up and then restart the water flow to hose yourself down.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 912786

Reply By: B1B2 - Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 10:00

Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 10:00
Barry,
I have been using a 240v single electric blanket running off a 300w inverter and auxiliary battery for 15 years.
Blanket on setting 2 while around the campfire and you get into a warm dry bed.

happy camper
AnswerID: 635250

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 10:14

Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 10:14
Barry
A lot of people use a normal 240 blanket and run it on an inverter to warm the bed. Once warmed do you need it again? Perhaps, use a timer to turn it on and off occasionally if more needed during night.
As Boobook said, these type of water heaters are for showering only and use heaps of water. I have a Coleman and it is the same crazy idea and is extremely hard to regulate, when temp is settled the tank is empty. Only way I found is, to run it with a set amount of water in a large plastic tub and heat that first. Then run unit to have the shower and it will accept the warm water and maybe only additional small amount of heat regulation needed. Of course that is more gas though. Having to turn the flow ON and off at any time means the gas also turns off automatically which stuffs the heat of the water and the heat setting you thought you had set, as the gas will only operate when there is water flow to protect the unit. SO use it to heat the quantity you require and then turn off gas and just use the flow of heated water to shower.
AnswerID: 635251

Reply By: Gramps - Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 11:16

Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 11:16
Camping - electric blanket - spare me days!

Regards
AnswerID: 635254

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 14:57

Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 14:57
I understand Gramps !! IF we need a warm bath/shower, a saucepan of water soon heats on the stove, add some cold to suit and Bob's your uncle. Either a sponge bath or a little 12v water pump to run a shower. Both easy, use anywhere, no hassles
Must admit, we both really love a wash off at the end of the day. Sleep much better.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912785

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 20:19

Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 20:19
When it's below zero in the Simpson desert, I don't mind being called anything, but it wont be COLD.
We had icicles in the tent at Broken Hill and were very comfortable.
The rest of the group moved into a cabin.
FollowupID: 912794

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 20:27

Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 20:27
Mmm... yes ...... also had ice over the puddles outside ( thick ice !). Good down doonas keep us very cosy ....... until we get up, then the kitchen stove burners quickly warm the interior. The camper batteries do tend to lose some peak performance as well !!
All great fun, and that's why we're out there.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912795

Sponsored Links