Capacitor V Lithium jump starter?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 18:27
ThreadID: 141093 Views:16233 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone have any opinions on the pros and cons of each type. Ideally i would like to be able to start a TD 100 series.

Cheers,
Joe.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 19:37

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 19:37
Does your 100 have two batteries? If so. You can rearrange so it behave as 1 main and 1 as a dual battery. That way they can be linked with a solenoid or jump lead to start when needed. I wouldn't rely on a capacitor type as it actually has to first charge from the flat battery and then suddenly deliver exactly when needed to assist start. Sudden and intense, maybe, but it isn't a sustained crank ability at all. The lithium type are useful and can also be used as a power source WHEN charged. To make sure it is ready you must ensure it is charged when needed to be used. They can read as ok volts but have almost no charge delivery ability if low on charge. I prefer first option, the dual system.
AnswerID: 635107

Follow Up By: Joe G2 - Thursday, Feb 18, 2021 at 09:02

Thursday, Feb 18, 2021 at 09:02
Thanks RMD, yes the Cruiser is set up with a dual batteries through a Redarc system. I'm actually after something more for the boat (outboard). I thought I would throw it in the Cruiser when on our away trips so wanted something suitable for both.

Joe.
FollowupID: 912609

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Feb 18, 2021 at 09:44

Thursday, Feb 18, 2021 at 09:44
Joe.
AH, so it isn't really for the cruiser. You didn't mention the boat. Unless you have flattened both cruiser batteries then you are very unlikely to need one for that. The "throwing it in the cruiser" is a good idea but have you thought of a charging regime to ALWAYS have it ready to take. Many people have them, forget them, they discharge and THEN they don't work when actually needed. If buying one I would use a Lithium one of suitable size as they can deliver over a period of time where the capacitor, self charge from same battery discharges very quickly, more a pulse than anything.
FollowupID: 912610

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Friday, Feb 19, 2021 at 01:40

Friday, Feb 19, 2021 at 01:40
I actually have a Repco capacitor jump starter and have used it twice, once on a quite dead Ranger 3.2 litre diesel and on a Falcon 6cyl ute. Worked both times.

I do have a secondary battery in the Ranger in the tub and have it with a larger Anderson plug for a set of custom jump leads but had trouble with the other end clamps so tried the Repco unit.

As to Lithium jump starters I have a concern with them. Recently went to use one I had in the shed to see if it was in need of recharging as it had been sitting there unused for about a year. Opened the storage case it came in and immediately noticed that the main case had split at the seem. Opened it up and the battery had swelled up quite a bit. In light of the disastrous Samsung mobiles a few years ago, at what point is it likely that this could explode or catch fire and maybe consideration needs to be made towards safely storing them in vehicles etc. No idea where I bought it and where it was made it anymore so can't chase them up over it.

AnswerID: 635123

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Feb 19, 2021 at 07:30

Friday, Feb 19, 2021 at 07:30
Phill, was it Lithium Ion, or Lithium Iron Phosphate? Two different types of battery. The ones in the Samsung and other products that exploded or caught fire particularly during charging were Lithium Ion.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912625

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Feb 19, 2021 at 10:37

Friday, Feb 19, 2021 at 10:37
Phil D
That is why I mentioned the periodic charging / maintenance charge of any such device so it is ready to go. No good leaving to fully discharge over a year and then expecting miracles from it.
Cheers
FollowupID: 912627

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Friday, Feb 19, 2021 at 21:49

Friday, Feb 19, 2021 at 21:49
Macca, there's no info on the battery pack to stipulate what it is. The swelling though was somewhere between 50 to 100% in thickness I would guess.

This is somewhat similar to a laptop I have. Luckily it was only 2 years in to the 4 year warranty and was repaired here at home. The battery had swelled up and distorted the keyboard and surrounding case. As the repair was done in front of me it was amazing how little spare room there was to allow for battery swelling. From memory this was one issue noted in the Samsung case but whether that was the sole cause we may not have heard the full story.
FollowupID: 912642

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Friday, Feb 19, 2021 at 22:05

Friday, Feb 19, 2021 at 22:05
RMD, since the swelling happened while just in storage it's that that concerns me as to safety in an enclosed, or dangerous area. At what point in swelling could it cause a short circuit in the device and potential fire.
FollowupID: 912643

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Feb 20, 2021 at 12:01

Saturday, Feb 20, 2021 at 12:01
PhilD NT
I suppose the quality of the internal battery has something to do with it too. Probably breakdown of insulation layers between cells. Some Radio Control Lithium batteries have been known to do the same, ie, swell and catch fire. Most don't of course. We have no control over the quality of internals when buying. Danger in most device in some way or another. Any swelling of batteries indicates all is not well.
The capacitor ones can deliver high output but very short duration. I haven't seen a capacitor one crank an engine or for how many compressions, but I imagine it isn't for long. Quite a task, cold engine, flat battery and glow plugs too. Hmmmm.
FollowupID: 912653

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 01:29

Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 01:29
RMD, when I did use it on the Ranger I did notice how much lower it dropped the battery in charging itself and was surprised it still worked. Yes it would only do it once I guess but you can take it to an alternate battery and charge it up there, like my secondary battery in the tub. Anyway, I've since fixed the issue with my jumper leads to use from the secondary battery that stopped the clamps opening enough to clamp to the main battery so that is my primary choice to jump start. Just nice to have an extra backup that's both light weight and small(ish).
FollowupID: 912661

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Feb 20, 2021 at 12:48

Saturday, Feb 20, 2021 at 12:48
I,ve had a mini jump start unit for about 6 years now. Only used it twice. Very handy as a back up battery for phone, bluetooth speakers, tablets or laptop. Holds its charge for a very long time (over a year) Was about $200 when purchased. I believe the new ones are a lot more powerful and have read some very good reviewes on them. I like the stats of the new Itech ....

jump starter
AnswerID: 635136

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 11:05

Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 11:05
At few weeks back I went into Supercheap to have a look at the small sized lithium jump starters and was knocked back by the price. Basic starts around $200 for a small capacity unit and typical was $350 or more.

Supercheap Starters

Not a cheap piece of kit - almost as much as installing a basic dual system.
AnswerID: 635145

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 17:04

Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 17:04
Hi OzzieCruiser

These are a bit cheaper. I have a 1500 model which seems OK, but I haven't tried it with a flat battery yet , so I can't personally recommend it as yet.
Did give it a go with the battery disconnected and it worked fine on the D-Max.

https://www.rooboost.com.au/

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912669

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 21:26

Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 21:26
Thanks for that link - it would be nice if they gave the actual specs so that comparisons can be made.

Cheers
FollowupID: 912680

Sponsored Links