Voltax Lithium batteries?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 12:00
ThreadID: 141074 Views:13153 Replies:3 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has experience with Voltax lithium batteries? Specifically the 12v 100AH ones. Good, bad, indifferent.

Anyone know who produces the batteries or whose cells they use?

Thanks for any help.

Sorry, they may be called Volta X, I'm not too sure?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 15:36

Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 15:36
Have not heard of these batteries, but this battery does not seem to have any sort of monitoring system. You always need to know the batteries SOC (State Of Charge)
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635072

Follow Up By: Member - Racey - Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 16:17

Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 16:17
They have an inbuilt BMS; SOC would be by external monitor,E>G> Victron or Enerdrive.
FollowupID: 912542

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 16:37

Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 16:37
Siringo
I searched for Volta X and they are sold by OUTBAX CAMPING. Given the cheapness and lack of quality of their solar panels which do not perform anywhere near the expected level. I would be very careful buying a Volta X battery seeing Outbax will only be dealing in it if it is dirt cheap to them, dearer for you and not much provable quality or performance despite the claims which may be made. It will be of Chinese origin, seeing the owner of OUTBAX is Chinese and buys his goods from homeland.
AnswerID: 635073

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 19:21

Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 at 19:21
I find it surprising that anyone would consider investing hundreds of dollars in a product appearing out of nowhere when it is discounted way below the price of reputable established products. It is gambling of the highest order.

Even if someone pops up and says "I bought one and it works fine" is no guarantee that it will not blow up within a short time. So Siringo, why not purchase one then tell us in 18 months how it's going and if it performs to its published specifications?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912544

Follow Up By: Siringo - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 09:55

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 09:55
There's more than one way to look at this.

If you spend $800 on a reputable battery and it lasts 6 years and spend $400 on a cheapie and it lasts 3, so I buy two of them over 6 years, what's the difference?

In fact another way of looking at it could be, you spend $1000 on a reputable battery thinking you'll get 10 years out of it. Will you still be wanting/needing it in 10 years? If not you've wasted your money.

I think paying around $100 per year of use for a lithium at the moment isn't too far off being a realistic price - at the moment. So $1000 over 10 years = $100/year. $400 over 4years = $100/year.

Also there's the amount of use you're going to get from it. I could spend $1000 on a reputable battery and still only use it as much as a $400 battery. I'm still tied to employment, so I could buy a $400 battery, use it maybe twice a year and get 5 years use out of it.

The most important thing is, will the battery satisfy my requirements. If I require 100AH and the battery only delivers 60AH then that is useless to me.

I purchased a reputable battery before my last trip, two of them actually same brand, same model. 1 died just after the trip, the other is OK. So as we all know, reputable things do fail prematurely.

We all know that is possible to stumble across cheap junk that actually works and lasts, lithium batteries I'm sure are no different.

Plus there's the warranty. I was looking at a reputable brand lithium battery 18-24 months ago. It had a 12 month warranty and cost over $1000. In my opinion, that's not good enough, that actually says to me that they don't expect the battery to last much longer than 12 months.

As with everything, there're so many variables with what and why people purchase what they do.

I'm looking at everything, Solar King & Renogy are up the top of the list ATM.
FollowupID: 912549

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:34

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:34
Your'e right Siringo, there are "more ways to look at this".

The Voltax 100Ah is advertised as "Original price of $1299 but now only $469". That really speaks to me!
The advertised weight is "9.5 Kg". Typical weight of same spec batteries is 12Kg. That says more to me!
If it "looks too good to be true" then maybe..........??

But maybe it is a good deal..... who knows. Like I said... it is a gamble, isn't everything?
The forum reports are variable.
If you go for one, I hope you let us know how it performed.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912551

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 13:06

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 13:06
I bought a Fullriver 105AH AGM in late '09. Bugger, just recently I tested it's output and it only held around 50% charge capacity then slowly died out over a couple of months. Now early 2021 I need a new battery, Siringo, do you recommend a VoltaX as a replacement? There are many ways to look at things.
FollowupID: 912556

Follow Up By: Siringo - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 14:02

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 14:02
I bought a Fullriver at about that time as well, same battery I bet. I threw mine out about a month ago, it just died. Damn good battery.

No I don't recommend ATM.
FollowupID: 912558

Follow Up By: djm67 - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 15:43

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 15:43
I just had an expensive Supercharge fail me after 4 months, and they would not honour the warranty.

Gave a song and dance to RTM (where I bought it) that it was overused and had ran hot and caused internal swelling.

It was actually used ONCE (it was in an open boat), had sat isolated and top up charged reasonably regularly and was under cover.

So brand does not always mean you are getting a good thing.
FollowupID: 912560

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 16:32

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 16:32
Was it actually swollen?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912562

Follow Up By: djm67 - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 19:45

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 19:45
I didn't notice whether it was or not.

Maintenance free, dual purpose (start and deep cycle) battery, indicator was healthy green.

But 10.6 volts was all it would charge to using a 7 stage Projecta charger.

So as far as I am concerned, Supercharge will never see another $ of mine and I will tell everyone that until I die.

FollowupID: 912567

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 20:52

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 20:52
Fair enough. Plenty of good batteries out there.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912569

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 22:02

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 22:02
There are always good and bad experiences - I have had a Supercharge Maintenance free, dual purpose (start and deep cycle) battery bought new in 2009 - still running Ok.
FollowupID: 912570

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 22:18

Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 22:18
The great battery debate will go on for ever but one thing is a given, Outbax have been proven to lie about the capacity of the products they sell time after time. Not long ago Kings were fined because they never sold products for the price they said they had been reduced from. Ask outbax for examples of the same battery being advertised for the full price mentioned.
FollowupID: 912571

Follow Up By: Siringo - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 09:12

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 09:12
Re the Supercharge battery, that is precisely what mine did, it dropped a cell, must have been a bad batch??? I've read this same thing in other posts on other forums about that brand. However my second Supercharge is still going fine.

It's classic marketing. Advertise something over priced & you'll get folks thinking it's a good thing because it costs so much. Then after a while, lower the price so people think they're getting a steal. Add a professional looking web site, logo and name & it all builds a representation of a legit, honest company with quality products.

Solar King seem to have a good name around the Internet and they answered my warranty query email within a few hours.
FollowupID: 912575

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 14:59

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 14:59
When I was retailing, that was supercharges favourite, if it was “bulged “ you had abused it. No real explanation!!
FollowupID: 912582

Follow Up By: djm67 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 17:16

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 17:16
@OzzieCruiseryou have a 12 year old battery still going strong?
FollowupID: 912583

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 18:11

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 18:11
OzzieCruiser, can you please define your term "OK" quantitatively?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912584

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 20:01

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 20:01
Yes and it charges up to 12.9v on a smart charger - when parked up in the camper only needs charging once per month (when the battery box light changes from green to yellow) and when out and about will run the fridge etc for at least 24 hours. Agree might not be as spritely as it was but is still holding out.

I also have Supercharge in my power hungry 4wd as the starter and works fine there as well.
FollowupID: 912587

Follow Up By: djm67 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 20:34

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 20:34
They clearly made them better a decade ago. I got 4 months and approximately 6 starts out of mine.
FollowupID: 912588

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 21:23

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2021 at 21:23
As I said earlier, I used to be a retailer.
The supercharge brand didn’t really have a huge amount of failures in warranty period , or after for that matter. I wasn’t and still aren’t a fan of supercharge. But they weren’t that bad .
if it was “swollen “ that was it for them. That probably put me off. when you’ve got reasonable knowledge of things like tyres and batteries, how they’re manufactured , and their design . you have a good idea why they fail. Sometimes I had Tyre warranty refused when I considered it a definite, usually by the smaller cheap brands. Not so much the big brands .

PS.Most batteries last a long time if they are looked after properly
FollowupID: 912592

Follow Up By: jeff r - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 12:24

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 12:24
Allan B this is for you as you have been on this site many years talking 12v.
I've heard that having the same type of batteries in your vehicle will assist the alternator charge them better and increase their life.
jeff
FollowupID: 912602

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 15:18

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 at 15:18
Hi Jeff,

The alternator can have no idea of the "type" of battery it is connected to and charging. so it just bangs out the voltage that it was programmed to do and the connected battery (or batteries) have to accept that.
Now different battery types (e.g. flooded, AGM, lithium etc.) have differing needs but each will get the same treatment from the alternator. However, the needs of some such as flooded and AGM are close enough to not matter much but lithium requirements differ enough to require their own charging algorithm.

Now, the charging current (Amps) that each connected battery will draw from the alternator depends in part on each battery's characteristics. That is, its manufactured characteristics and its state of charge. These will determine the inner resistance of the battery and therefore the current it will draw while charging from the alternator.

In general, the car manufacturer will fit an alternator which suits a cranking (flooded) battery. If you then connect another flooded battery in parallel then all should be OK. If though, you connect say an AGM battery in parallel it is being charged to a slightly different algorithm than what it needs. To charge it as the manufacturer recommends would require a dc-dc charger between the alternator and the AGM battery.

So in summary, it is better if paralleled batteries are of the same class and similar in size and condition (age). However, even if identical type and one is in duty as the cranking battery and the other is an auxiliary battery connected via an isolator solenoid, then when a charge cycle commences the two batteries are likely to be in different states of charge but the alternator cannot detect this and treats them to the same charge voltage which is not ideal. This is a good reason to employ a dc-dc charger to supply the auxiliary battery regardless of what type it is.

Hope this answers your question, but if not I'm happy to clarify any points.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912604

Follow Up By: jeff r - Monday, Feb 22, 2021 at 17:57

Monday, Feb 22, 2021 at 17:57
Allan B thanks mate I guess I used the wrong terminology when I said 'type' I should have used 'characteristics'
Appreciate you reply
Jeff
FollowupID: 912694

Reply By: DWWood - Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 11:01

Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 at 11:01
Can't speak for the actual quality of the VoltaX battery but have bad experiences with the store that sells them (Outbax) with a solar blanket & folding panel.

Recently bought a 'premium' lithium, a 200ah DCS lithium which is performing flawlessly but had the 200ah Hard Korr lithiums been released I would've gone down that path as their solar products have been excellent.
AnswerID: 635144

Follow Up By: Siringo - Monday, Feb 22, 2021 at 09:50

Monday, Feb 22, 2021 at 09:50
I have a Hard Korr solar blanket and it seems to work pretty well.

Experience in dealing with a company is as useful as knowing how good their products are, I'm not going that route, I'll be going with Renogy or Solar King, probably Solar King.
FollowupID: 912681

Sponsored Links