Submitted: Monday, Jan 11, 2021 at 22:51
ThreadID: 140966 Views:6368 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
How do I get my tracking to work without any GPS or wifi connection
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 07:01

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 07:01
Hi Unit

If you go offline without a GPS it will not and cannot track you.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634728

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 07:46

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 07:46
Is this a trick question?

Buy a Pidgeon.
Hire an Aboriginal Tracker.
Leave stones on the ground.
Buy a Theodolite and accurate watch and learn how to use it.
Keep a diary of waypoints you see along the way.
Use a Pen and a paper map.

All of these methods work and were in common use till around 2000.

Other than that I am not sure what you are asking.
AnswerID: 634729

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 08:24

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 08:24
Hi Unit,

Without sounding condescending or being a “smart arse”, do you understand what a tracking system needs in order to work? How do you think a navigator “knows” where you are? Without access to a GPS, Satellite system, or a mobile phone signal, there is no way any “tracking” system will work.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634730

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:30

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:30
I save our GPS tracks (from a HN7) which I can then display on maps on the lap top via OziExplorer, off line.
OziExplorer can also replay the tracks in real time or accelerated. Speed and altitude is all available to review.
These tracks can be displayed at any scale that you have maps for.

EDIT:
Keep those tracks as long as you want :)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 634731

Reply By: Member - unit - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 22:58

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 22:58
So how can I get it to connect wen I'm out bush or has it just become an electronic map.
AnswerID: 634744

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 02:15

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 02:15
? An electronic map from the beginning...unless you print it on a substrate of some type (paper generally preferred but other options).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 912122

Reply By: Member - unit - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 23:02

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 23:02
Cheers , I'm old school and usually just use paper maps and compass. although I'm trying out a new VMSand that worked perfectly everywhere. I was hoping exploroz was the same. Cheers.
AnswerID: 634745

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 08:01

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 08:01
Hi Unit,

You need to explain exactly what you are talking about. I must be missing something. Are you talking about a navigation system, a Phone or tablet app? Generally speaking, a navigator has an inbuilt GPS, some tablets have an inbuilt GPS and do not require a “phone” signal whereas a phone, whilst it does have a GPS requires a “phone signal” to “track” your movements.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634748

Reply By: Member - unit - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:29

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:29
Morning Maca. I have a windows tablet which has wifi and hotspot but as soon as I'm out of reception the map stops. I didn't realise until I needed it. At least I have my paper maps and trusty compass. I now have a VMS that works every where. How would I be able to get my tablet to work like the VMS .
AnswerID: 634752

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 15:07

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 15:07
Hi Unit,

That is a question you would need to ask a Tech. Guru, unfortunately, I am not one of those. What navigation system are you using on your tablet? From my limited understanding, if you download the ExplorOz Traveller app, you may have better luck. Of course the Tech. guys on this forum may be able to help you.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912126

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 16:44

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 16:44
Sounds like you need a Bad Elf GPS for your Wifi only tablet, Unit. The Bad Elf links to the tablet by Bluetooth & provides the necessaries for your mapping program.

Be warned that your tablet may become very power hungry when tracking, and you’ll need a USB outlet with at least 2.4A output, otherwise the tablet may/will go flat after a number of hours.

Interesting, you’re only about the third bloke on this forum, over the past 17 years, that appears to be happy with their VMS units?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912129

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 18:57

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 18:57
Windows tablets don't have built in GPS receivers so you'd need to buy one for it. If its too complicated get an easier device like an Android tablet with built in GPS. Less tech!
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912133

Follow Up By: Member - unit - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 21:17

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 21:17
Cheers everyone. The windows tablet IS a piece of junk. ( Wish I new that before I brought it... NEVER AGAIN ) Should have stayed with my Samsung. Will look at getting aGPS unit when I'm back in town. Thanks again everyone. Cheers
FollowupID: 912134

Follow Up By: Chris (Qld) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2021 at 04:09

Sunday, Jan 17, 2021 at 04:09
Some Windows tablets do have built in GPS, I am running the Traveller App successfully on a Windows Surface 4.
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 912236

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 18:49

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 18:49
Ok I'll try to explain it as simply as possible.
A GPS gets your location (ie. lat/long data) from satellites so doesn't use phone signal.
Our app (ExplorOz Traveller) will use that data when you are offline to show your position on an offline map. To see the map offline is easy - you just download it into the app before you go (there's a button to do that and its Australia wide).

When you buy our app - ExplorOz Traveller you download it into your phone, tablet or computer and it works offline or online depending on the available service you have. You can use it completely offline if you prefer, or let it automatically switch between online/offline. You just have to buy it and download it from the app store first (Playstore, App Store, or Windows Store - depends what device you are using).

When offline - you'll see the maps you have downloaded and your position comes from the GPS and will be shown where you are on the map as you travel... SIMPLES ; )

TIP: all phones these days have inbuilt GPS receivers as do most tablets but if your's doesn't, you can always buy a portable GPS receiver designed for the job. eg. Garmin Glo2 or BadElf.

The idea is you can buy and download our ExplorOz Traveller app and the EOTopo maps for only $110 into any phone, tablet or iPad and you're good to go.

Open the info page on our website about ExplorOz Traveller here. ExplorOz Traveller app information
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634763

Reply By: Member - unit - Sunday, Jan 17, 2021 at 08:00

Sunday, Jan 17, 2021 at 08:00
Cheers. I will double check it tonight. Thanks
AnswerID: 634822

Sponsored Links