Book recommendation: Red Sand, green heart by John Read

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 09, 2021 at 12:00
ThreadID: 140959 Views:5471 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Last year on our way through Port Augusta, I purchased a copy of John Read's book from the Arid Lands Botanic Gardens Visitor's Centre and thoroughly enjoyed reading it, particularly as we were on the road in the country it described. It was an entertaining read about the natural and human induced trevails of his life as an ecologist working in the arid lands of South Australia. The author began the story as an ecologist working for (pre BHP) Western Mining's Roxbury Downs Mine. There are lots of interesting tales of his human, animal and natural environment interactions from L. Eyre South pelican colonies, snakes on the Moon Plain near Coober Peddy, to the opportunistic seizing of the calici virus reduction in rabbit numbers to create a feral animal exclosure and conservation reserve. My early career as an environmental scientist was working for Ranger Uranium Mines in Kakadu so it was of particular interest, if you can still get a copy I recommend it as a great read and would be interested in the comments of any locals (Stephen L?) who might have read it.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Sponsored Links