Roof Top Tents

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 15:50
ThreadID: 140943 Views:20698 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Good afternoon all and happy New Year. I am currently looking at getting a hard top RTT and have been looking at either a Kings Grand Tourer Mk11 or the Anaconda- Dune 4WD Nomad Deluxe 1.4m Hardtop Rooftop Tent. Currently both are on sale for around the same price ($2,500), with the Dune one $4k when not on sale.

Have any of you had real world experience with either of these? Kings have theirs on display so I can look at that one but the Dune isn't a display model.

thanks
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 16:06

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 16:06
Hi Dunc
Haven't got one, but saw some recommendations, and one point made was ingress and egress without climbing over another person .......... quite important I thought.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634647

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 19:04

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 19:04
Thanks Jim will only be me in it as my wife hates my Troopy with a passion and my snoring even less.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911979

Follow Up By: John Baas - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2021 at 01:29

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2021 at 01:29
Hi Dunc. Can't help with the RTT, but re the snoring, I've got a superannuated Sullivan CPAP that I'll let you have for free. Third world country quality now but I think it still works...
FollowupID: 911987

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2021 at 10:55

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2021 at 10:55
Thanks for the offer John. If I was to get a CPAP machine I'd get the small compact one. My wife would still bitch and complain about the noise of the machine anyway. Just me breathing is to loud for her. I'm contemplating having the operation on my soft pallet, 6 weeks of hell I'm told from those that have had it done.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911990

Reply By: GarryR - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 16:49

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 16:49
Hi Duncan, Judy and I have used a roof top tent up until recently. The only reason we stopped is due to our age ( late 60's an d 70's) I have no knowledge of the brands you mention but, we use a Hannibal brand rtt that is a bit more up market. For the sum you mentioned, You are in the range of Hannibal brand which is a 16oz aussie made canvas manufactured in Africa ( when I purchased) , but fully assembled in Australia in Queensland. The other brands that you mentioned are a lightweight construction out of ripstop, woven type nylon. I would consider canvas over ripstop, but finances do have a great input. Have a look at Hannibal and see if that is also is within your budget. There are also good secondhand Hannibal rtt's for sale worth considering. I have no affiliation with Hannibal, but a very happy customer and owner, and when I did have a component problem, the associated part was forwarded promptly and was at no cost - only my time. Hope this helps.
Regards Judy and Garry
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634649

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 19:06

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 19:06
Thanks Garry, it's a hard top that I'm looking at but the Hannibal brand is quite reputable and a good option for those in the lookout for a soft top.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911980

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 16:55

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 16:55
Hi Duncan, we have the Kings one. Have only done one trip with it to Cape York that was 10,000k over 4 weeks.
No regrets at all about getting it, for the last 7 years we had the ARB style soft RTT which we were happy with but these are so much easier to setup and pack

The build quality seems fine, ( we were going to buy the South African version at more than double the price but couldn’t see the additional benefits in doing so) no dust or water ingress, the canvas is heavy duty and well sewn, the mattress is a bit on the firm side so have fitted a lambs wool mattress topper . All our bedding and pillows stays in the tent permanently.
The only negative I would say compared to our old tent is ventilation when we were up at the cape is not as good as our old tent which has windows on all four sides whereas you only have it on three with these. The upside of that is that it is much better in the wind than our old one.

I haven’t seen the Anaconda one but a couple of points I noticed when I checked it online. It is poly cotton with a silver backing which I don’t think would wear as well as the canvas
It is only 2m long V the Kings which is 2.2 m long. I found that to be too short for me so would be a dealbreaker

Just another point ,worth noting, you can sleep comfortably with your head at either end with the Kings. We initially started with our head at the open end but changed to the other way around as you can get in and out easier and you can look out from bed better that way.
We use the end door to access the tent as it suits our setup best as we have gullwing doors on our canopy

Hope this is of help to you
AnswerID: 634650

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 19:03

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 19:03
Thanks Alby appreciate your candor. Anaconda are getting the Dune one in specially for me to look at but aren't holding me to it so I'll see when they get one in. The young couple on a YouTube channel I've been watching since the start of Covid use the Kings RTT and have highlighted a few pros and cons that is one reason why I'm drawn to them. BTW length isn't an issue as I'm a short arse and my wife if she ever ventured up the ladder is even shorter so a shorter bed isn't normally an issue.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911978

Follow Up By: Member - Core420 - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2021 at 10:59

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2021 at 10:59
The main concern I have with the Kings hard shell rtt is its weight. By the time you add roof rack and other bits and pieces you may have close to 90kg on the roof. How did that affect your car's stability?
FollowupID: 911991

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2021 at 11:23

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2021 at 11:23
Hi Core420, I've had a large load on my Troopy's roof on a number of occasions and had no problems. Fortunately the RTT's I've got my eye on are low profile and a uniformly distributed load so I don't see a real issue. Also I've got a lot of weight low down so that tends to stabilise things also.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911992

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2021 at 11:23

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2021 at 11:23
I direct fixed mine to my canopy to avoid additional weight and height but yes weight is a legitimate factor to consider
It is about 30kg heavier than my previous tent but sits a bit lower and much more aerodynamic. I didn’t notice the extra weight but we travel on the lighter side compared to most.
From my enquires all of the hard shell tents are up there with similar or more weight. I spoke with a company that sells and installs several different brands and they weigh them and found many were 10 ish kg more than there advertised weight
FollowupID: 911993

Reply By: lkyphl - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 21:32

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 21:32
Dunc,

A mate had a James Baroud rtt and the only thing he disliked was the limitation to the thickness of the mattress (and bedding) due to the closed internal height ; might be worth considering if you have an old back,

Phil
AnswerID: 634654

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 22:33

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2021 at 22:33
G'day Phil, that is one advantage of the Kings it has a 3" on v 2" in the Dune and I 'm not sure on how much spare room there is to upgrade to a thicker mat.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911985

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Friday, Jan 08, 2021 at 11:45

Friday, Jan 08, 2021 at 11:45
Duncan, we have the Bush Company RTT. I have met three people now with the Kings version (and read/watched a few reviews). Two were very happy, one was very disappointed- too many issues (I'm sure you've heard them, cracking, leaking, delamination). I think they have sorted the issues by now and that makes them an excellent purchase.

I'm sure in ten years time our more expensive (and visually better constructed) unit will be in better shape, but ten years' usage at the lower price is a bargain.

BTW, I've pointed out numerous times that the Baroud-type hardtops suffer from not having rain-coverage with the windows open, a real negative up north. It can (and does, from experience) make them far less comfortable.

We use a small fan in the tent and it is extremely comfortable.

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 912022

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jan 08, 2021 at 14:32

Friday, Jan 08, 2021 at 14:32
Thanks for your comments Mark. I guy I know has a Baroud and the lack of protection at the openings is his biggest gripe. He's had it for years and generally loves it. Your one is very similar to the Alu Cab and a similar pricing. A mate has had an Alu Cab for about 12mths and absolutely loves it and he's had a number of different types of RTT and also a slip on unit and he reckons it is the best so far. But a bit pricey for my liking.

WRT to the Kings reviews I've read a few and like you say it's generally really happy or a few issues and one I read was just plain stupid.

My main concern is the Dune option one as I can't find any reviews or see one actually out of the box. Anaconda have one ordered for me to look at and will hold the pre Christmas members sale price for me which is great if I choose to buy it.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912032

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Friday, Jan 08, 2021 at 15:03

Friday, Jan 08, 2021 at 15:03
I wasn't aware of the Dune tent, I've just had a look online. A couple of points...

It looks like a solid build (though you can't tell what the construction materials are like). Personally I dislike any design which makes one person crawl over the other to get out, but I know others are happy with this.

The biggest issue for me is the lack of covered ventilation. I think this is an area highly underrated by people considering RTTs). Having had the fold-out type (Darche Panorama, excellent ventilation when not raining) and used a Baroud hard-shell. I know they can be quite warm to sleep in, especially in humid conditions. In the rain up north the Baroud was outright claustrophobic.

My Bush Company is very good in this regard, as the three windows can be open almost all the way even in the rain. Though it doesn't have as good cross ventilation as a four-opening tent when not raining. The Kings has an even better opening system, though a little less robust in the wind than ours.

Something to think about, maybe?

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 912033

Reply By: Deejay - Friday, Jan 08, 2021 at 19:54

Friday, Jan 08, 2021 at 19:54
Hi Dunc.
We've had a James Baroud Evasion for about 6 years now and done thousands of kilometres in it around Australia. It's the best piece of camping equipment we've ever owned and we're glad we spent the extra bit and bought it over a cheaper brand. It weighs 61kg and sits on 3 aluminium Rhino bars so I suppose add an extra few kilos for them. It's very streamlined, has a small solar panel in the roof, a reversible ceiling fan and an LED light. We think the mattress is perfectly adequate and have had zero problems with it and it is a guaranteed 60 seconds up and 60 seconds down. Just love it.
AnswerID: 634692

Sponsored Links