The Stirling Range National Park - Bluff Knoll (WA)

Submitted: Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 12:32
ThreadID: 140761 Views:7733 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone - Our latest video features the Stirling Range National Park and the ascent to the summit of Bluff Knoll (just after sunrise). Amazingly after the devastating fires in January 2020, the flora and fauna are now flourishing. The wildflowers are in abundance making the various hikes well worth the visit to this area. Included is an overview of the nearest camping location; The Bluff Knoll Retreat. The Mt Trio Bush Camp is equally as good and will feature in the next video the "Porongurups". Cheers Mike and Kendra

Stirling Range National Park -WA
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 17:17

Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 17:17
Very similar to our climb many moons ago ....... very windy and cold. Certainly gets the heart going.
Thanks for the memories !

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634170

Follow Up By: Mike & Kendra Cruisn1 - Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 23:20

Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 23:20
Yes really great part of the world !
FollowupID: 911319

Reply By: GarryR - Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 07:35

Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 07:35
Great footage. Please keep the history lesson's coming, as I enjoy watching, and to see areas thatIi am unable to get to. Love the astro shots - what settings and time exposure use that you used, or am I being cheeky to steal info.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634175

Follow Up By: Mike & Kendra Cruisn1 - Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 13:38

Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 13:38
Hi there,
We enjoy combining camping with photography. The Astro photography was done with 14mm lens 3.5 and iso was various but 1600 and 3500 worked ok. Had to dodge clouds. CheersMike
FollowupID: 911303

Reply By: Erad - Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 07:54

Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 07:54
Magnificent place. Reminds me of when we were there, I was driving along track when my wife shouted at me "STOP". Naturally, I reacted immediately to such an urgent demand and slammed the braked on. When the dust settled, I checked in the rear vision mirror (a bit late...) "Back up" says my wife, so I reverse for about 25 m or so until she said Stop in a much more gentle manner. I asked why did we stop. She replied I saw an Orchid somewhere. So we got out and started walking into the clearing beside the road, looking for this orchid. Finally, after about 5 minutes we saw this tiny little orchid. It was so far away from the road and so small that this could not have been the one she saw from the road. Having finally satisfied herself that she had found the orchid, we turned to walk back to the car, only to be confronted by a whole field of orchids . We had actually been walking through them, but they had been facing the way we were walking and we simply didn't see them. There was an enormous splash of colour on the return the back to the car. It was superb. This is a superb area to visit. The rest of that trip we saw heaps pf different wildflowers that day.
AnswerID: 634176

Follow Up By: Darian - Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 19:15

Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 19:15
Ah yes...SW-WA is an impressive region...we were there in Spring a few years back and happened to stumble into one of the best wildflower seasons they'd had for ages. Blew us away...the range of flower types and colours has to be seen. And one of the big factors (as I recall) is the impoverished, sandy soils in some places....these areas had the best displays ! The camera had a right good thrashing on that trip.
FollowupID: 911314

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 14:47

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 14:47
Hoping our son will have some footage to share of his trip last week (he's still travelling around the great southern). Being the hippy he is, he hiked up Bluff Knoll barefoot ! He has done many hikes barefoot and lives barefoot but I still think this one's a particularly tricky one barefoot don't you?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634221

Follow Up By: Mike & Kendra Cruisn1 - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 19:21

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 19:21
I think hiking boots are the order of the day ! Too many slithery things and loose rocks.
FollowupID: 911351

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 19:23

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 19:23
yes I agree, but he's done that already... :(
think he's just always looking for the next challenge... who raised this hippy adventurer? hmmm
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 911352

Sponsored Links