Is a Hema navigator as good around city streets as in the bush?

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 18, 2020 at 18:18
ThreadID: 140757 Views:6937 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, is a Hema navigator as good around city streets as it is supposed to be in the bush? Are they worth owning compared with other brands out there? thanks
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - pedro1 - Wednesday, Nov 18, 2020 at 18:59

Wednesday, Nov 18, 2020 at 18:59
Use the search button on this forum to find the various and many discussions of this and other GPS
AnswerID: 634138

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Nov 18, 2020 at 21:24

Wednesday, Nov 18, 2020 at 21:24
Hi Norm

The short answer is yes.

Their maps are updated regularly and very easy to use.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634139

Reply By: Phil G - Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 06:05

Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 06:05
I have the HX-1. The street navigation (Drive mode) works well. It has many options including speed warnings and is comparable to the Tomtom we have used over the years. You can get free map updates for 3 years.
The Explore mode is taking some getting used to. It lacks some of the things I like about Oziexplorer. But the base map is very comprehensive, and get lifetime updates. The hardware is pretty average - can be hard to recharge the battery unless you leave it on charge overnight. All the additional maps are accessed via the web. So if I want to use other maps I either have to hotspot my phone if in range or download the relevant section if there is space in its limited storage. It won't allow you to store and access maps on the SD card.
AnswerID: 634140

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 08:01

Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 08:01
One thing I found with the HX1 is that it does not like getting hot. I had mine mounted to the windscreen, and on hot sunny days after a few hours it would slow down and “freeze”. I have now purchased a CD Slot mount, to bring it away from the windscreen. Due to COVID-19, I have not been able to give it a good work out, but it should do better further away from the windscreen.

In regard to the mapping system, I have found it an excellent system. Although, Exploroz is a better “planning” tool than Hema.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634141

Reply By: 2517. - Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 17:41

Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 17:41
I use Siri if you have a Apple phone,just ask for directions to where you need to go and that it.
AnswerID: 634150

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 18:36

Thursday, Nov 19, 2020 at 18:36
Norm,

I don't know the purpose of your question, but if it is to suss out a navigator to buy that is good in the bush AND good in the city, then maybe consider Exploroz Traveller.

I'm a beta tester for Exploroz Traveller. Version 5 is in the pipeline, not far from release. In the city you can use a detailed street map (as you can with current and earlier versions). You can search for a street address and navigate to it, with turn by turn instructions created as a list and spoken to you, just like the other navigators, and better than some.

On a larger screen such as a tablet you can expand the street map to give you a great overview of where you are and where you're going.

You can't say "Take me to Bunnings" like you can wth Siri and Google, but if you know Bunnings' address you can enter that and it will take you there.

Its "bush" navigation is also superb. It has a database of nearly 100,000 points of interest. You can navigate to any one of those, or if there is not a POI where you want to go, drop a pin and navigate to that. Whether you travel by vehicle, bicycle, foot or straight line (!), Traveller will find a route .

When in mobile service you can enter an "outback" destination and it will create a route with turn-by-turn instructions just as it does for a city address and then deliver you to that address in the conventional way, even when you run out of mobile service.

I find it indispensable as a one-size-fits-all navigator.

In addition to the navigation, there is so much more that it can do in association with systems on the Exploroz website.

So if you're looking to purchase a bush and city navigator I think it would be wise to investigate and consider Traveller.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634151

Sponsored Links