Beautiful Betsy plane wreck near Cania Gorge

Submitted: Monday, Sep 28, 2020 at 15:37
ThreadID: 140557 Views:7906 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering what the road is like out to the World War 2 Beautiful Betsy plane wreck ? Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: zanderslot - Monday, Sep 28, 2020 at 16:41

Monday, Sep 28, 2020 at 16:41
Which way are you coming from?
End of May we went in from Cania Gorge.
A gravel farm road that becomes narrower and rougher the further you go.
I swear I could hear banjos at one point.
There were 3 gates we had to open and close.The 3 different latches totally confused the missus .
After the park boundary there was a rough rock 4wd climb up a ridge to the top.
The tracks on top and to the bomber site were reasonably with a bit of 4wd in parts.
Take it steady.
From Cania to the lookout was about 2 hours with another 40 or so minutes to the bomber site.
Rod.
AnswerID: 633563

Reply By: Genny - Monday, Sep 28, 2020 at 18:30

Monday, Sep 28, 2020 at 18:30
The road from Calliope end is a usually good 2wd gravel road. The track down to Betsy is rougher, often able to be done in a fairly high clearance 2wd (I have been there in a RAV4). Sometimes there can be seepage and boggy bits along the way.
AnswerID: 633564

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2020 at 08:10

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2020 at 08:10
Watched an old episode of Top Of Down Under last night which visited the Beautiful Betsy location, looked to be a pretty easy drive in but the crew took the Loop Track out, looked to pretty rugged compared to the way in. Maybe look on YouTube for the episode, was from 2013 I think, will give you a much clearer idea of the track conditions. Is on my bucket list after watching last night. Series 4 Ep3 is the one you want.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633566

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 01, 2020 at 18:28

Thursday, Oct 01, 2020 at 18:28
Geoff Hi,
I was there a couple of weeks ago, came in from Ubobo. That road joins the Monto road near the lookout so not sure of the road from Monto end to the Plateau. The road from the T/O to Beautiful Betsy would give most 2WD vehicles a fairly ordinary sort of ride with washouts etc. reasonably okay but steady 20klm. drive in 4WD. If You are reasonably interested definitely Do GO. In My opinion was well worth the trip. The walk in is only a few easy minutes excellent interpretative signs etc. Awesome country.
Just a couple of pictures.
Mike P.
AnswerID: 633591

Sponsored Links