ExplorOz Traveller travel time

Submitted: Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 10:29
ThreadID: 140544 Views:6949 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning on travelling to Carnarvon gorge, Nuga Nuga and Expedition national parks next week so bought the ExplorOz app as I wanted something that would help plan routes and would be more accurate then using Google maps.

I have yet to be there to confirm, however it seems the estimated travel times are unrealistic and extremely exaggerated. An example going from Lake Nuga Nuga Campground to End of Carnarvon Access road the route is 125km with an expected time of 4hours. The same route in google maps is 1h 45 mins and 2h 10 mins in hema maps.

Not sure if its just specific area or if this is in general. Would be interesting to hear others thoughts on the navigation time and whether it is generally accurate or not?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: zanderslot - Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 15:48

Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 15:48
Not sure of the app time but the road is mostly bitumen with some decent gravel. Unless it's wet.
Around 2 hours would be plenty.
We camped 3 nights at Nuga Nuga about 6 weeks ago.
Birdlife everywhere and a kayak is a bonus for getting onto the lake.
Be warned though.
We camped at a great site out on the "island".
Someone had put in some time and has created a large flat area for a camper or van with an adjacent 2 foot high firepit made from the local rocks and surrounded by huge logs for seating.
But,,
After the sun went down,,
The families plural of MICE came out from under the logs.
The sound of little claws on the canvas for most of the night.
We did get some sleep.
Have fun.
Rod.

AnswerID: 633521

Follow Up By: Joel M - Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 16:56

Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 16:56
Thanks Rod for the feedback and its good to hear it should be about 2 hours.
FollowupID: 910570

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 20:32

Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 20:32
If it's out by that much check you're not using a cycling mode instead of driving or do you have the wrong waypoints and its routing a different way to what you expect? Happy to look at your nav plan...send a screen shot showing the nav panel and the map screen to me through the help Desk. Did you use a public or private place for the destination (end of carnarvon rd)...is it accurate position?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633524

Follow Up By: Joel M - Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 22:19

Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 22:19
Thanks Michelle. I've logged a ticket with a bunch of screenshots.
FollowupID: 910574

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 09:42

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 09:42
Interesting, I worked on an oil exploration crew in this area in 1979, the seismic lines criss crossed the whole area. One of our camps was at the intersection of Arcadia Valley South Rd and Mulcahy Rd. The area bordering the south of Lake Nuga Nuga was thick impenetratable (except to a D8 : ) ) brigalow regrowth. The roads were just normal gravel secondary roads. When i checked, EO Traveller showed the travel time on the 29.4 km section of the Arcadia Valley South Rd was 1:28, and the 6.1 km section of the road out from the campground showed 1:01 driving and just 10 min more by Shank's pony. So a bit odd. A small section of the gravel from the intersection of the Arcadia V S Rd to the tarmac on Mulcahy Rd gave a speed of ~30 kph so slightly better.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633532

Sponsored Links