Best Double Swag

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 18:41
ThreadID: 140525 Views:14547 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to Buy a Top Quality Double Swag to do the GRR next Year ,needs to have Mesh Screen good enough to protect from the Midges .cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 19:35

Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 19:35
I have Darche Dusk to Dawn which comes in all sizes and I'm pretty happy with it.

But is any swag really midge proof?

Maybe , maybe not.

Midges and swags
AnswerID: 633453

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 19:43

Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 19:43
Hi Greendog

The best ever double swag that we have ever had, and still do is the Southern Cross Double Dome swag. We had had it now for around 8 years and was so cosy, but since we have had the Ultimate, it has only been used a couple of times since, the last time was October last year when I had a quick bush trip.

They have really gone up in price since we brought ours, but either way, they are fantastic.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633454

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 20:07

Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 20:07
G'day Stephen , hope you and Fiona are doing well,we have a C/T and now a 2015 Prado but thought it would be easier to do a Swag Trip . cheers
FollowupID: 910504

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 20:26

Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 20:26
All going well up here and you are going well also.

If your camper is a capable off road camper, it will not be an issue up there, either way, it’s great country up there.

All the Best

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910506

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Sunday, Sep 20, 2020 at 06:21

Sunday, Sep 20, 2020 at 06:21
Ditto to Stephens comments on the Southern Cross double dome , best swag we have had.

Regards

TDB
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 910508

Follow Up By: GarryR - Sunday, Sep 20, 2020 at 07:04

Sunday, Sep 20, 2020 at 07:04
Ditto for the above comments. Ian and his wife Leslie ( Southern Cross Canvas - Kilsyth Vic) have been good friends of mine for many years. No .. I do not get anything cheaper but, Ian will manufacture anything you want, including modifications to their own products, and will stick by his product. I have 2 of his swags which are both different. I also have one of his camper trailers as well a a pyramid tent that is used the most. Good quality Aussie canvas. Make sure you sent it up in the yard and hose it down a few times for the sewinng seams to close up and seal.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910509

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 23:13

Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 23:13
AOS Tracker.
AnswerID: 633460

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Sep 20, 2020 at 07:19

Sunday, Sep 20, 2020 at 07:19
Hi Greendog,

I am sure you will get quite a few responses from people recommending the Swag that they own. I have the ARB Sky Dome double Swag. It is fairly easy to put up, but like all double swags, they are a bit bulky. I bought it to do a Simpson Desert Crossing, and found it very comfortable. Again, like all swags, you are out in the weather, so some sort of awning might be an advantage as well.

There are also “hybrid” swags out there that are mounted on a camp stretcher. They have the advantage of getting you off the ground, but again, there is no protection from the weather, and an awning would be helpful.

Then there are the “30 second tents” such as the OzTent series that sleep from one person up to five people depending on the size. Of course they require a mattress, camp bed/stretcher or Swag (flat, not dome) as well. But they have the advantage of providing some shelter if the weather turns wet. These tents, whilst quick to set up, are bulky and heavy. I also have an OzTent RV4 that I have used a few times, with a camp stretcher. On my first trip across the Simpson, I took my OzTent, but frankly, after the first two nights, I found it just as convenient to set up my camp stretcher alongside my car and just used it without any other shelter. The weather was fine, so it was not a problem. I then bought the ARB Sky Dome Swag when I did my second trip across the Simpson. This was much more convenient.

These are just a few suggestions, but anything you chooses to take will take up space and weight. Anything bulky or heavy that you need to get up onto a roof rack may become tiresome by the end of a long trip. I hope this info has been helpful.

Macca.

Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633461

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Sep 20, 2020 at 08:32

Sunday, Sep 20, 2020 at 08:32
I have the same style as the Southern Cross swags mentioned and whilst very happy with it I think there are better hybrid designs that I would buy next time.
Have a look at Darche Dirty Dee or the offerings from 23Zero .
They offer more ventilation options , better wet weather access and more internal room
Regardless of what you choose I don’t use the supplied mattress as they are too bulky , we use two self inflating mattresses instead as they pack up better
AnswerID: 633462

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 20, 2020 at 11:12

Sunday, Sep 20, 2020 at 11:12
Very happy with my ARB Skydome, available single or double. Have not had a problem with midges and the like, comfortable mattress, excellent through ventilation even with the roof closed.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633463

Reply By: Dusta - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 10:53

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 10:53
the best swag on the market is a Murchison river swag . Hand made in geraldton WA from australian canvas and ykk zips. Go and research them, they are freakin awesome.
AnswerID: 633481

Reply By: Swaggie - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 14:28

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 14:28
Burke n Wills stand by there swags have the Redgum Double.
AnswerID: 633497

Sponsored Links