Ultimate cost.

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 17, 2020 at 10:55
ThreadID: 140517 Views:10584 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Explorers

Sad to learn that three people have met their end on the walk trail system on Mount Augustus in recent days, on Monday 14th a woman in her early fifties died while hiking, then two days later a couple also perished while on a hiking trail.

The Gascoyne region is fairly remote with Mount Augustus and the Kennedy Range being draw cards for the adventurer, especially now because of the freedom to travel here in Western Australia, the hard border situation because of the Covid-19 situation has meant people who feel the urge to explore are seeking to visit places they possibly never had given consideration to previously or possibly not researching the destination in detail are coming to grief.

Temperatures may well have played a part in these tragedies, with current day time recordings already in the mid to high thirties, though warm it's not hot, the hot weather is still to come.

I won't say anything about the three people in regards to their personal health or fitness situations, simply because I don't know, but it is important to be very aware of 'your' capabilities when it comes to tackling any sort of hike, Augustus is magnificent not only as a destination to see, it is not overly challenging to summit, but care and consideration should be at the forefront when planning to leave your comfort zone.

Safe travels : Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:10

Thursday, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:10
Joe, first I have heard of it over here in the East, but must be more to the story, as you say not extreme heat. Will be interesting to see what transpires over the coming weeks and months as to cause etc. I agree absolutely with your comments about being prepared etc. Except for Covid, would have visited Mt Augustus last month for the first time.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633421

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Thursday, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:27

Thursday, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:27
Sad story.

Extreme heat is relative I guess. I believe it was 37 or so at Mt Augustus on Tuesday.

If the people had travelled from the south-west of WA where mid-20s is warm at this time of year it could catch them out.

Take care people.

FollowupID: 910471

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:30

Thursday, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:30
A very sad story, that has not been reported here in South Australia.

As we all know, we should never underestimate the effects of heat and if you are unprepared, can have serious effects.

Even last Friday when we took a drive up to Bookaloo, it was going to be a nice spring day at home and it was a warm 35 up there.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633423

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 17:04

Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 17:04
Hi Stephen,

Interesting you say that it was not reported over there.
We get all the eastern states reports of this kind of thing.

I know Joe has put this post up now, but usually posts like this come from eastern states (including SA from a WA point of view) often when similar things are happening here in WA.

This kind of thing happens here on a fairly regular basis. Perhaps the media/public over there don't give a d** what happens here (generally speaking, not EO users).

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 910483

Reply By: Gramps - Thursday, Sep 17, 2020 at 12:23

Thursday, Sep 17, 2020 at 12:23
Very. very sad
ABC
AnswerID: 633426

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 08:24

Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 08:24
I do not know these walking/hiking trails, their distance or degree of difficulty, but if they were “long” walks over a few days, it begs the question why these people were not carrying any sort of EPIRB or PLB, or even a Sat. Phone.

Again, I do not know how experienced these people were, or how well prepared they were, but it certainly sounds like they were not very well prepared at all. Yes unseasonal weather events can catch people out, but this is what being well prepared is all about.

Very sad for the families.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633431

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 13:32

Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 13:32
If the event which is going to kill you happens in a short space of time, then an Epirb or sat phone is hardly likely to help much. Assists in finding the bodies though. Location alone doesn't save lives if immediate help is required. Being prepared for any most forseeable events will be of great importance.
FollowupID: 910481

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 09:31

Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 09:31
We climbed Mt Augustus in 2006. From the bottom to the top including sight seeing and taking lots of pics along the way took about 3 hours. We were in no hurry. We took a back pack each with lunch, etc, GPS and PLB.
At the time, we were older than those who died.

Cheers,
Peter
AnswerID: 633432

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 13:25

Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 13:25
Peter, you probably still are older.
FollowupID: 910480

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 09:46

Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 09:46
The 53 year old lady who died was found just 150m from her car. Her partner had a medical episode on the climb and they had turned around.

He was found alive a short distance away and had been transferred from Carnarvon to Perth hospital.

Woman found 150m from car

Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633433

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 07:27

Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 07:27
Without knowing the full story here, it sounds like the woman may also have suffered a “medical episode”, if she was that close to her car.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 910492

Reply By: Dusta - Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 17:54

Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 17:54
it was also pushing 40 degrees on that day and the surrounding countryside while flat is pretty barren and low lying scrub with not much shade . So while it was 36 degrees the heat would have reflected back up off the rocks . I was out there at the start of sept and it was only 20 degrees but felt a lot hotter .
AnswerID: 633438

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 18:11

Friday, Sep 18, 2020 at 18:11
The brother-in-law of a friend died while walking on Mt Wellington with his wife 18 months ago.

He was a semi-retired farmer in his late 60s who had worked on the land and in the Kimberley nearly all his life and had a camping trip trip in the Pilbara most years. He was the sort of bloke I would be happy to venture off the beaten track with.

He looked fit for a man of his age and as far as anyone knew had no serious underlying health issues.

Sometimes when your time is up it's up. And it may have nothing to do with the weather, how much water you drink, whether you are alone or in a group, have good boots and hat, carry a PLB or anything else.

I am about the same age, not as fit as him and with no knowledge of any issues that might stop me tackling a stiffish climb (apart from dodgy knees). But his death has caused me to think a bit about where I go, when, and with whom.

Sure, some people are foolhardy but even the experienced and well prepared can come to grief.

Take care people.

AnswerID: 633439

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 19:22

Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 at 19:22
Sad that things like this happen, but as previously said sometimes “when your times up!”
My wife and I hiked Mt Augustus in 2018 , warmish but not high 30’s.
We were passed by a young guy running, met him at the top. He was into ultra marathons and got up in 56 minutes. I think we wandered up and down in 3 hours or so. We had plenty of water and snacks, so reasonably prepared.
AnswerID: 633452

Sponsored Links