Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 13:27

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 13:27
Check out the NSW govt site: https://realtimedata.waternsw.com.au/
Combined Lakes at about 25% full. Flowing all the way from Bourke. Also see the Trek called the Darling River Run. and have a look at this place :https://www.exploroz.com/places/76850/nsw+wilcannia-to-menindee-road?s=wilcann
for what not to do if it rains... W. Edit here. Hmmmm link to place should work but didn't, so 1) go into any place then change the no. to 76850 or 2) start typing wilcannia into the places search box and it will come up about the 5th one down the list.... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 633233

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 07:36

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 07:36
Try entering the link again. Next time select an appropriate title for the link and use the link button at the bottom of the insertion screen to insert the link. Just typing a long URL into a message frequently fails to produce a clickable link. Do things properly and you should have a good link every time. Always test the link after posting your message and if it does not work use the edit function (available for a short time after you post a message) and attempt to correct the link.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910219

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 15:51

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 15:51
Bourke levels were decent end of July but there's industrial scale pumping out of the Darling.
AnswerID: 633237

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 22:09

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 22:09
Not an answer to your question, so apologies for being off topic, but......isn't it a disgrace that the Federal Government and four State Governments together fail dismally to manage this river system !!! A national shame.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633241

Follow Up By: Macquarie - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 12:34

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 12:34
It might be a shame but just consider that there are literally hundreds of individuals and organizations all pushing their own self interest barrow and are unwilling to compromise. The situation has been argued over since Federation with plenty more to come.
FollowupID: 910227

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 13:12

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 13:12
The problem would be solved to a fair extent if the states were taken out of the decision making , the Murray /darling system should be managed under one national body.
FollowupID: 910228

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 13:13

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 13:13
Not sure why you blame 4 state.

South Australia is the most environmentally friendly state for the Health of the Murray.

Also is has now been reported on the radio today that the Murray Darling Authorities have said that nearly 2.5 trillion litres of water yes you have read that correctly, and enough water to fill Sydney Harbour over 4 Times or 20% of the water flowing down the Darling has been stolen since 2012.....

Now who has stolen it are the ones that should be held accountable......
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 910229

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 13:24

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 13:24
South Australia is more aware of the flows because we are at the bottom end.
There would be shonky shit happening here too, no doubt.
I just think it would much better to take the states out of it , it’s one water catchment area that needs to be used to benefit the whole.
It’s actually a small part of the Murray/darling’s water but south aus is delivering more and more water to more towns etc all the time . Don’t seem to be looking for local water sources. And then there’s the massive amount of water being taken out of the great artesian to operate mining . Humans have been overusing most resources for a long time and haven’t stopped yet.
FollowupID: 910230

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 13:32

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 13:32
Ok then Shane

Explain why in NSW that any water pumped from the Murray Darling from a suction under 200 ml is not metres?

South Australia is the only state that stopped open channel irrigation, while in Queensland, New South Wale and Victoria still do this.

It is proven facts that South Australia is the most environmentally state....and that is facts
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910231

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 19:50

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 19:50
G’day Stephen,
I am south Australian.
I’m not up on all the info , but I’m from a non irrigation part of the state (eyre peninsula) .
And I do think our state is the least at fault . But are still part of it all. That doesn’t change the fact that my thoughts of the Murray Darling being controlled by one body and no state having more or less “clout”, is a good idea is it?
I have travelled thru a lot of irrigation areas, and couldn’t believe when I first saw single properties using as much water as the tod pipeline up the centre of eyre peninsula delivers. It’s mind boggling!!
But everything is sustainable if controlled/ used properly. Which obviously isn’t happening now.
Cheers Shane
FollowupID: 910234

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 07:02

Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 07:02
Off topic I know
On the ABC NSW radio (yes the ABC which gave the Wentworth Group the initial free plug) yesterday afternoon they were discussing the Wentworth Group Report, it seems that the MDBA is at odds with what the Wentworth Group say. One of the area of the unexplained losses is evaporation (theft, greater on farm water efficiency and others), that is where they said the modelling got it wrong and why not as much water has been returned to the river
The Wentworth Group also only used data from 2017-19, the two year period with the lowest northern basis rainfall and river inflows in recorded history (so about 120 years) and didn't include the flows earlier this year which put water into the lower lakes and the embargo on High Flow river pumping the NSW Government introduced
We are still on level 5 restrictions in Tamworth, if you wish to be parochial and throw stones, how about all of those in Adelaide disconnecting their garden taps and sharing the pain with us?
States should be abolished full stop.
Mark
FollowupID: 910236

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 08:04

Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 08:04
All I can say Mark.....do your homework

Adelaide has many large reservoirs that supply Adelaide with water and not all from the Murray.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910240

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 08:54

Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 08:54
Now there's a great plan - get rid of the States.
Australia: Eight jurisdictions and 15 Houses of Parliament. New Zealand: One jurisdiction, one House of Parliament.
No wonder we struggle with national issues !!
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910243

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 13:24

Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 13:24
I have done some research Stephen, not just read the headline. I live in the MD basin, not out of it.

You have just acknowledged Adelaide draws water from the Murray, therefore should it not be immune from sharing the pain that drought inflicts?

Mark
FollowupID: 910248

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 06:45

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 06:45
A few weeks ago when we were there there was no water in Menindie Lakes except for a tiny puddle in the middle from local rain. We were told unless another big flow came down the lakes wouldn't get any water.
Lake Pamaramaroo had water in it and while the river was dropping it was just flowing.
The river had stopped flowing at Wilcannia.
Remember if intending to travel in these times that many towns and communities do not want you there if you come from the cities, we found many have signs at the start of 50k zones asking people not to stop unless absolutely essential and in lots of places public facilities are closed or restricted.
Kayaking would be fine on the Darling or Lake Pamaramaroo.
AnswerID: 633243

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 10:30

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 10:30
Hi Snolly

NSW water levels in rivers and storage’s is available in real time.

Follow this link. NSW real-time water data

In addition the met bureau publishes real time data on river levels for all states.

Here is the link for NSW. Met Bureau river level link for NSW

From these links you can see that Menindee Lakes have water and are approximately 25% full and the Darling at Menindee is flowing at 207Mld. Not a lot but flowing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers John

AnswerID: 633250

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 17:46

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 17:46
The simple summary is that this one of the greatest failures in public policy in Australia since federation, and five governments - the Commonwealth and four involved States, and both sides of politics - share the blame.
Disgraceful !!
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633255

Sponsored Links