Blog Review: teyes spro

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

Thanks for your review. Is your unit a 32/2gb or a 4/64gb unit. Do you have any further observations after using it for a few months.
Thanks, Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoffrey H (VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 11:01

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 11:01
Howdy Kevin, my spro is 32/2 and I found that on the system files. So far as a gps its working really well, I have explooz maps on it and the detail and tracking are great. In town it does not give street names but I do not want that feature on mine. The music side of it works extremely well, I have a 4 speaker system in my 2003 hilux ute and I have been able to customise the sound to suit surround sound or revert back to normal when my wife is onboard. I have a stick with songs on and we also have the radio, both work very well. I do have to scroll up and down to get songs and on the go it can be a bit sensitive as you brush up or down and play a song rather than scroll. I am getting better at this bit though, I use the bach of my pointer finger as the tabulator and not so many wrong picks scrolling.
The Gps section is still a work in progress, I normally set it up at home with waypoints and then enter all into the unit. I do have to be fairly careful as you can hit waypoints and be a little off, not by far maybe about 5m at most. As far as the gps working while driving it works down to about 1m accuracy, and the speed, direction and altitude all work superbly. In this regard the unit is really good, I have it set up to open the GPS as the standard screen. You can split screen the unit, and have multiple screens open, the bluetooth works really well. To go forward or back is fairly easy after you do it a few times. The home screen can be programmed for as many apps as required, I had about 10 but now am down to 5.
The unit has all the operating buttons for Home, Volume, back on the left side and they are not lit up for night time, that can be a pain. They also are quite sensitve, needing the slightest touch. When I received the unit it was all in Russian, and I did a few words translation and found the English easily. The volume is rather sensitive and it gets very loud quickly, 2 is quiet 10 is loud and 20 you need to be in the paddock next door, it goes up to 40.
When installing the unit into the vehicle it took a bit of time as the wiring harness is not labelled well, so I had a bit of head scratching. But the more I sat and looked at things it came into focus, it really was just thinking about things and deduction. The unit fired up first time and has not missed a beat. All the gps components and the reversing camera are well labelled, the radio speaker wires were a gamble, but I got it sorted one speaker at a time.
So I guess in summary, I am happy with the unit, I would like backlighting on the controls for night, The rest is working well now. Just took a little time playing to learn things. It is pretty intuitive, nothing that hard. I am old school mostly 65yrs but this jigger I do like.
We have a 2003 TD Hilux with all the kit on it and this is our touring vehicle. Not the most fuel efficient, or powerful but I can do any work on it and its never ever let us down in 330,000km. I do all my own servicing and repairs and installs. Its got ARB airlockers f/r, lrtank, winch, dual battery, bullbar, sidebars, and the inside is decked out as well.
I hope this has been of use and given you some idea of how my unit is going for us.
Cheers Geoff
deerlux

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 633230

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 11:55

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 11:55
David has confirmed with me that we have the 4/64 unit. A few things to comment on - we have backlight on at night - so not sure why Geoff's device doesn't. In fact, we find the backlight a bit too bright. We did find some controls to adjust it but not obvious. With music - the Teyes comes with its own inbuilt music software so all you do is add a thumbdrive of MP3 or MP4 files. This music player is actually "better" than using Spotify in some respects as it will auto start up if it was on when you last turned off ignition. Spotify doesn't do that and so there is a bit of time required to tap open the program, select your playlist and then tap shuffle play. But I like Spotify for the ease of accessing a variety of music - we have a premium account so can play music offline that has been previously downloaded to your account so use it offline when travelling but online around home for general commuting etc. I really like the lane avoidance and other smarts that come with the unit. We also run the Traveller app and a music player in split screen side by side by default most of the time. We have a front camera fitted and it is very easy to activate grabbing a photo or video but a little trickier to remember to extract the SD card where the file/s are stored to bring inside to download to a computer for analysis but I'm sure more organised people or those with more time on their hands can manage this. The reversing camera is excellent and we have installed a second camera on our towball for hooking up the horse float and camper trailer along with a second screen to view the towball for fast solo hitching.

I find the volume controls a bit of a pain - but maybe this is different on different models - ours is for the LC200. They are very small and positioned on the left side of the unit and are a touch type button - the LC has a huge cabin so for me as a very small person as a drive I find this a bit cumbersome. You can adjust volume on the touchscreen also but I don't find the activation of this intuitive.

When running the ExplorOz Traveller app for mapping and navigation I switch between map types when online for different features/scale. Most road names are shown on EOTopo but you can also switch to Streets & Paths map layer which has more definition in urban areas and shows buildings as well as streets names. I've found the GPS used in conjunction with ExplorOz Traveller to be highly accurate - I would guess to 1m accuracy? This is part of the GPS accuracy improvement being rolled out across Australia with on the ground boosters/nodes and has nothing to do with the Teyes or the app. The maps in ExplorOz Traveller show your position as you move along the road in exactly the precise position - ie. down to which lane you are in on a main road.

To place your own marker on the map for navigation - the use of the crosshairs and full zoom will enable the marker to be positioned in the precise location.

There are many setting defaults in the Traveller app that can be customised to your preferences. A description of the settings and the default values and options can be found in the User Manual. Settings is easily accessed from the Home Screen of Traveller whether you are offline or online. Things like hide/show the speed/heading/altitude box and setting its default position and which items are in the box. Things like moving the zoom controls to left or right of the screen. Colours. etc. So playing around with it in default mode is recommended as we've come up with these based on years of testing and adjustments and feedback from other users. However experiment with the options to fine tune it to your own preferences.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633231

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 07:36

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 07:36
Looking at buying a unit, just a question about steering wheel controls and antenna, is it all plug and play?
AnswerID: 633727

Sponsored Links