what mud tyres are the best

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 08:01
ThreadID: 140446 Views:11427 Replies:13 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
hi everyone new to this site I'm looking for recommendations for m/t tyres to buy mostly used in bush and send but I will drive on road to get to places 35x12.5r17
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 11:12

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 11:12
Unless you are into hardcore 4wdriving and don't mind the awful noise they generate on bitumen, mud tyres are overkill for touring. I run Cooper Stmaxx which are described as hybrid tyres; all terrains with mud terrain design. The main reason I got these is their sidewall design and they've always gotten me home without any puncture. But they do generate much more noise than all terrains.
AnswerID: 633204

Follow Up By: Keith B2 - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 14:25

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 14:25
I bought six Cooper STMax from a tyre dealer and it turned out that they were a parallel import from a dud batch. Cooper could not entertain a warranty claim for the failed side walls because they weren't legit. Did a deal with the tyre place and had them replaced with BFGs which I am happy with.
They are much quieter than the Coopers, which seemed to get very noisy after about 10,000km.
If you do buy Coopers, get them from a proper dealer.
Keith
FollowupID: 910189

Follow Up By: wooly0005 - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 15:33

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 15:33
I had Coopers too, STT's (muddy's) on our 80 which were very noisy and did not wear very well but did have plenty of traction in mud and very good in sand at greatly reduced pressures like 15psi. Never had a puncture with them due mainly to the strong sidewalls

Next we had STMaxx thinking that they would be quieter and wear longer but they didn't. Very similar to the STT's.

I think all cooper tyres should come with earplugs cause all I could hear was WOP,WOP,WOP

These days I think muddy;s are overated and not usually necessary unless your into hardcore stuff as previously mentioned.

We have BFG's All Terrain KO2 on our new car and they are quiet, strong sidewalls and are wearing very well so I think they are the best value for money.

Toyo Open Country have a good name as well.

If your heart is set on muddy's, what about Maxxis Big Horns?
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910191

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 17:00

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 17:00
Seriously Donkie, do you really need muddies? You will find more sand than mud in the bush. So mud tyres are no advantage.

Brand doesn't matter much. Ask a dealer for recommendations and it will be the tyres that they have the best mark-up on. Ask another driver and it will be the tyres that they have chosen. There are some damn good tyres at reasonable prices..... Hankook, Kumho, and General Grabber are some that provide good quality at good prices. The fancy pants manufacturers such as Cooper, Mickey Thompson, and Michelin want you to pay for their expensive advertising but offer no advantage off-road. Their highly publicised mileage warranties do not apply to off-road driving.

But if it's muddies you really want, get the tread that appeals most to you.
However, be aware of the negatives of muddies..... their tread pattern results in less rubber on the road so you have lower life mileage, they are noisier on bitumen, and they do not grip as well on wet, sealed road surfaces. In fact they can be damned dangerous there. And the you-beaut deep tread disappears as they wear and and then do not perform as you desire.

Just remember, if there really was a "best tyre", wouldn't every one be using it?

If you want to contact me for further comment, I will be in my bunker. lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633211

Reply By: donkie25 - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 18:03

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 18:03
I go to the watagans every other weekend so that's why I was looking at them I have nitto trail grappler on it now
AnswerID: 633212

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 19:43

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 19:43
Strictly off-road my choice would be maxxis trepador sticky’s. They are common in the racing scene on winch comp vehicles and go hard. Being cross plies, the on road manners aren’t going to be top shelf but you won’t get better off-road. Everything is a compromise.
FollowupID: 910194

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 20:02

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 20:02
Are you not happy with the Nitto’s?
I think they are the best tyre I have owned and will be getting a third set soon
FollowupID: 910195

Follow Up By: donkie25 - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 20:19

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 20:19
Witch nitto's do you have
FollowupID: 910196

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 08:08

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 08:08
Trail Grappler MT, I have just about worn out my second set and happy with them.
They hold their balance, last longer and are quieter than others I have used
Plus they are a much heavier construction than most other options for puncture resistance
The other good option is Toyo who make the Nitto under license.
From my experience the Japanese made tyres are far better than the American made stuff
FollowupID: 910200

Reply By: donkie25 - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 18:04

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 18:04
And thanks for replying
AnswerID: 633213

Reply By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 19:40

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 19:40
Dunno the answer donkie, I'm an All Terrain man, but this might be useful for research: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORMT
AnswerID: 633214

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 20:08

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 20:08
I have BFG Mud Terrains KM2s (35") on my truck and they are a great all round tyre - slightly less aggressive than some muddies but up to the job - plenty of grip on the road and reasonably quiet.

So if you want an "all round" muddie I would consider BFGs.
AnswerID: 633216

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 07:13

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 07:13
I'm from Newcastle and spent 11yrs driving around Watagans, Mt Sugarloaf, Gloucster, Raymond terrace, Stockton beach and stacks of other places in the region in all condtions till I moved away. Over my 32yrs of owning 4wd's I've used Kumho muds a lot has about 5 sets, 1 set each of BFG, Bridgestone, Dick Cepek muds and numerous brands of A/T's and have come to the conclusion that yes muds help in some situtions but overall a good A/T like BFG or something similar will serve you better in the long run.

Back in the day we never let tyres down in the bush only on the beach so we needed good muds but if we had of aired down to suit we would have been fine with A/T's and I would have used a lot less tyres. If your 4wd is a daily driver like all mine have been and I was off road a hell of a lot but even then when I look at it less than 1 percent of your driving will be in situations where a mud tyre will help because you spend more time on the tar and gravel roads getting to places.

Also 35" muds may attract unwanted attention if that size is illegal on your vehicle plus the added strain on driveline components and the taller gearing makes rock climing harder and you'll burn more fuel where a 33"would be better.
AnswerID: 633218

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 07:16

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 07:16
Hi donkie,

Have a look at the Toyo RT range of tyres. They are a “hybrid” in that they are more aggressive than an AT, but not as aggressive as an MT. They are quieter on the bitumen than MT’s, still offer an aggressive tread for off roading, and are safer on the bitumen.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633219

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 10:00

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 10:00
To answer your question....new ones are the best, as after 5000kms they round off and dont grab half as much....I found the BFG muds really good in 33/12r and 35/12r Toyo are also an awsome tyre, Nito are another good tyre. You will loose braking efficiency due to squirm, and steering/handling for the same reason, all compared to a highway terrain tyre of course....
AnswerID: 633227

Reply By: Noel L2 - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 15:27

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 15:27
Nitto Ridge Gappler for me..... not a bad AT/MT compromise......
AnswerID: 633234

Reply By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 19:11

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 19:11
Hi Donk
Have tried all the muddies except coopers (most dangerous in the wet due to hard compound and overmarketed for what they really are) in my opinion and experience BFG KM2 muddies are the best compromise/most expensive up front. (KM3s cant comment)
Best value for money may be the Maxxis 764 MT.
Nothing else really stands out for a variety or reasons (worse wet weather traction, poor performance when worn, durability etc etc)
Currently trialling Westlake Mud Legends on a locked GQ (the work/fun car) - only because I got caught out in the Pilbara and was unable to source any other tyres the size I needed. They are cheaper and somewhat noisy but otherwise I am very impressed with their balance, overall toughness and ability - they are wearing well. They are surprisingly strong in the sidewalls and puncture resistant - (have had a few accidental tests, running over sharp metal and wood while snigging logs, I think would have damaged anything else. I would have them again even though they are of chinese origin. Incidentally Westlake tyres are popular in mining circles in WA due to their durability and trust me that is a good reccomendation as I know very few tyre brands cope with the daily grind of rocky mining roads. (Bridgestone are the other strandout brand). Dont see much of them in eastern states. I run 34.3" Nitto Ridge grapplers on my Y62 (the touring car) and they are exceptional all rounders.

For those who disagree with the need for muddies -Personal choice and definatly a call to make - they are a compromise and most people never need them and we live in one of the dryest countries on the planet but if you are 4wdriving and get caught out by rain and need that traction - there is no better feeling than having control in slippery conditions and being able to get home in one piece - and recent events on the CREB track in NQld bear out this fact. (Quite a few caught out by rain with road/AT tyres etc). Personally I have them because I have a red soil/clay block of land and when it’s wet the GQ is the only thing that can move around on it.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633239

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 22:07

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 22:07
Well, there you go Donkie....... As I said... "Ask another driver and it will be the tyres that they have chosen."

Above, so far, you have recommendations for 15 different tyres, all of which "are the best".
Take your pick. Any one of them and it will be "The Best". LOL
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 633240

Reply By: donkie25 - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 07:03

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 07:03
hey guys thanks for your help i just put the same tyres on it
AnswerID: 633244

Sponsored Links