Flexible solar panels

Submitted: Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 18:42
ThreadID: 140445 Views:31485 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to change from a 3 way to 2 way fridge and need about 300 watts of extra solar. I would like to install flexible solar panels because of their weight, but I am aware of the grossly over-rated comments on most of the flexible panels and have personal experience of an ATEM, so called 120watt, that I bought some time ago to use as a moveable panel that only outputs about 65% of a 110 watt glass panel I have and is about 12 years old and would be rated more like 70 watts. Because I could prove my tests, I got about 40% of the cost reimbursed to me by Vic Roads, via Kogan.

I am interested in and good and bad experiences of people who have bought flexible solar panels fairly recently. I have searched the past threads and all similar threads are very old. Brian DJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 20:19

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 20:19
I think you mean a 12v/240v compressor fridge?
'2 way' generally refers to a gas/240v absorption type fridge - don't see them often these days.

Re flexible panels - sorry can't help - have always stuck with glass for the reasons you mention.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633194

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 06:04

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 06:04
3 way fridge 12v/240v/gas and 2 way or compressor fridge 12v/240v that's what we use to call them as well.
FollowupID: 910197

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 06:59

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 06:59
Fair enough Batts. A quick google revealed that the terminology has changed & ‘2 way’ is commonly used to refer to compressor fridges these days as you suggest.

Just to show I am not losing my marbles though, this article, dated fairly recently (2018) describes a 2 way fridge as a 240v/gas absorption type. Admittedly it is in the minority as far as google finds went.

We had one in our first RV, horrible little thing which was quickly replaced by a 2 way compressor fridge.

https://blog.campingworld.com/uncategorized/rv-refrigerator-basics/

Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 910198

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 08:04

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 08:04
I,d get a 300watt residential glass panel. Only about 22kgs. Will perform a lot better than many of the foldable/ flexible panels.
AnswerID: 633199

Reply By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 08:12

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 08:12
I wont go into my experience here with Outbax but you can read about it on productreview.com.au

I do like the weight factor about the flexables and other than the over rating the other fault I found was the glands do not grip the output cables well enough allowing the cable insulation to rotate when moved and the low quality wire begins to break strands very quickly if used as portables.

To overcome this I opened up the terminal box and cut out the silicone and removed the original cables which entered from both sides and replaced them with 4mm twin sheath automotive cable entering from just one side. The wire is the same size but the insulation is much smaller and has a flat profile so the gland grips it well enough to stop movement, and the cable is much more flexible and fits deutsch connectors perfectly which reduces the size considerably from the anderson connectors I had previously.
AnswerID: 633200

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 07:52

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 07:52
I remember your first post about Outbax Qldcamper, and thought it was a rant.

However, I have been looking at solar panels lately and they do appear to make wildly misleading claims time after time. And there are many unsatisfied buyers.

Their output claims are double what they appear to put out.

I agree. Avoid them like the plague. ( so to speak)
FollowupID: 910199

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 09:25

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2020 at 09:25
Dont get me wrong Boobook, it was a rant but it was a justifiable rant. I will never put in writing comments about a companies ethics being illegal unless I can justify it hence I never returned the product for a refund. That would have been no help to anyone.
If they advertised them as 70 watt panels for the same price nobody would have realised but they would have taken longer to sell.
How many hundreds did they sell to people that think they have several hundred watts up there and then thought they needed a bigger battery.......oh hang on, outbax sell lithiums now dont they.
FollowupID: 910202

Reply By: Member - Racey - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 09:18

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 09:18
If you are looking at flexible panels contact Solar 4 RvSolar 4 RV. They have a good range of 1st class panels. If you need advice speak to Phil or his son. They won't lead you astray. Not connection; just a happy customer.

Cheers
Racey
AnswerID: 633202

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 09:51

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 09:51
Hi racey,
Just ran their sizes through the formula I use for calculating reasonable expectations and they come out at about 15% efficiency which is very reasonable, some of the cheap ones need to be 22% to meet their claims.
The price is a more suited price for those outputs for good quality.
You get what you pay for.
FollowupID: 910182

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 10:49

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 10:49
I have a couple of the RVSolar panels to though thanks to COVID-19 haven't got to do any day to day to testing of them yet. A function test of them begore I mounted produced very similar results to my high quality glass panels of the same wattage.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910183

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 10:58

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 10:58
QLD.
You are spot of with the efficiency aspect and some the the figures DO LIE, don't they.
Banggood are selling a 1129mm x 670mm flexible panel and claiming it is 300w. At 17 % rating it is a max of around 128watts. which is a little under 300w it seems . As long as it is less than half the price of true output panels I suppose you haven't lost much in the deal, apart from a large area of panels required to do the same job as far smaller area ones of hard or soft panels with close to true output.

The old adage: The figures don't Lie, but Liars can figure, still stands, however, when dealing with cheap made solar panels, The figures DO LIE and the Liars are also the ones doing the Figuring too.

EDIT: Just went and looked at Banggood site re 300w flex panels, same stuff as sold by others too, the review people have tested the 300w panel and achieved a fantastic output of 120W , so 180w output went missing somewhere. Strange isn't it?
FollowupID: 910184

Follow Up By: Member - Racey - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 12:31

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 12:31
I've been doing business with "Solar 4 Rv for about 6 years" for a range of products, and can vouch for their integrity. I know for a fact that they don't buy job lots or chase the cheapest price. Each supplier is thoroughly checked out and panels specifically made for them. If you have any queries give them a call.

Cheers
Racey
FollowupID: 910186

Follow Up By: arofs1 - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 12:51

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 12:51
Just following up to thank those who have responded to my inquiry so far the information is appreciated.
I am not suggesting the thread should close because of my thanks, as the more information I get hopefully the better the decision I will make. Brian DJ
FollowupID: 910187

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 14:01

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 14:01
I have 200 watts of custom made Lensun Solar thin panels on the roof of my Kimberley Karavan feeding a GSL MPPT 30 controller. Apart from being fixed to the roof, because of the sloped sides of the roof sections where they are located they can never be optimally oriented to the sun.

In optimal conditions for my setup (best alignment of the van to the sun, clear cold day, high bright sun) I get 10 amps into a battery at 14V, = 140 watts, so about 70% system efficiency. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it tells me the Lensun thin panels are as good as any other.

Usual disclaimer - just a satisfied customer.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910188

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 14:28

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 14:28
Been very happy with my AllSpark units from Offroad Living (SunPower Maxeon Gen III cells). Worth looking into in terms of performance for price (not in the budget end, however).

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 633209

Sponsored Links