Electric Brake Controllers

Submitted: Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 08:31
ThreadID: 140440 Views:9425 Replies:12 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, just after some recommendations and the pros and cons of various electric brake controllers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 08:40

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 08:40
We have the Redarc Tow Pro which works just fine. The dial is a bit hard to see, but I think the new ones are better. Had a Tekonsha previously which also was good.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633180

Reply By: Kazza055 - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:09

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:09
I have been using the Primus™ IQ Electronic Brake Control for about the last 20 years.

It does not have all the bells and whistles that I don't need, but does a very good job of stopping the van as required with proportional braking.

I can't see the point of paying top dollar when the Primus™ IQ Electronic Brake Control will do it for half the price.

Each time I upgrade my car, I have a new controller installed.
AnswerID: 633183

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:44

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:44
This model has all the basic workings that the Prodigy has. It just lacks the monitoring features and the premium price. In other words, the same stopping power but more money in your pocket.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910153

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:27

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:27
I used to have the Tekonsha units but went over to the Redarc tow pro elite. Main reason was the ability to have the whole unit tucked out of the way with the small dial button mounted on the dash or anywhere you feel comfortable with it. Redarc have an excellent reputation and seem to be the main unit most are buying.
AnswerID: 633184

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 16:11

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 16:11
+1, the Redarc is working just as well as the Tekonsha did.
FollowupID: 910159

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 17:38

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 17:38
But at more than double the price.

I think the main reason people go for the Redarc is because it is the most expensive but it can also be mounted out of site with only the knob visible.
FollowupID: 910166

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 18:05

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 18:05
I think you will find that the main reason most buy the Redarc is because of the simple and unobtrusive mounting of the control switch. No ugly protuberances or slides having to be mounted under dashboards or center consoles. Simple to operate and reliable. If everyone was to just buy something because it is the most expensive then we would all be driving Rolls Royces....In my opinion..Redarc are expensive and although good products...they are definitely overpriced.
FollowupID: 910169

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:01

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:01
I prefer the types which have a lever control for emergency and for testing. My Tekonsha does that and is handy to the passenger as well so some emergency braking can be applied.. I use that feature along with a large wattage globe (actually a spotlight) and able to actuate the lever and see the increasing amount of energy being metered out to the van brakes if attached. A basic pre departure check! No good finding out brakes are not active until on the road. Not sure if others do that quite the same unless proportional braking is happening via decelleration of vehicle.
AnswerID: 633185

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 16:12

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 16:12
Just for the record if others refer to this post down the track, the Redarc has the same function by pressing the knob.
FollowupID: 910160

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 17:26

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 17:26
Lovely idea of pressing the Knob on a Redarc device but is it an ON or OFF push of the button? or graduated with force /degree of push? Under decelleration the arm doing the pushing is subject to decell forces too and some loss of control would happen if graduated and not simply "on". On Means full set braking I presume. I would want to control with no lockup in my opinion.
FollowupID: 910164

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 22:31

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 22:31
I have my Tow Pro set so it just doesn't lock up if you hold the button - #7 on the dial for me

In normal operation it applies a portion of that setting as determined by deceleration up to a max of 7 - proportional braking.

If I need to operate it manually it will apply #7 braking - just not locked.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 910177

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 07:34

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 07:34
Agree that the "feel" is disappearong out of a lot of things these days and prefer the slider for testing on hook up.
In an emergency if you have ever really been pushed out of line in the dirt you just want as much brake as quick as possible on the trailer, you dont have time to gin around with applied pressure.
Personally i would design a voice activated system triggered by a loud quote of the F word accompanied with a loud bubbly farting sound for full trailer brakes.
FollowupID: 910180

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 09:01

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 09:01
RMD, it is a hold-in button. push it in to apply brakes, turn for more or less braking power, let go to disengage the brakes.
FollowupID: 910181

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:13

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:13
What ever brand you get, make sure it is one of their proportional types and not one of the timer/synchroniser/user-controlled types. Most companies make both types of controller. If you are looking at the Redarc types then go for the Tow-Pro Elite V3 model and not the Tow-Pro Classic. Another reason for rejecting the Tow-Pro Classic is that Redarc makes no claim that it meets ADR-21 requirements.

The difference between the two modes of operation is explained in the following.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633187

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 13:22

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 13:22
Good info Peter.

3 seconds is a looong time if an emergency situation. At 100kmh it is 54 metres, Oh, Look! we might hit that, perhaps we might apply the brakes soon.
Best to have as peter suggested.
Most proportional devices apply the brakes at same time you do and simply increase amount if needed in a very short space of time and not some tantalizing time into the future.
FollowupID: 910158

Reply By: wooly0005 - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 17:23

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 17:23
We have had Redarc Tow Pro Elite V3 for our brief (so far) caravaning exploits and it seems to work very well but yes the dial is a bit hard to make out sometimes.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633191

Reply By: Darian - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 19:32

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 19:32
Redarc Towpro...near on the perfect solution to me. Compact, illuminated control knob can be mounted in any convenient place (the main unit is back in under the dash), easy to use and very effective. As mentioned, one questionable factor is the illuminated setting (1 - 10) display; small and difficult to read in some circumstances. Overall though, it still gets 9.5 / 10 here...a rating boosted by South Australian design and manufacture ! ??.
AnswerID: 633193

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 21:14

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 21:14
Pushy
Not knowing what car you are fitting the brake controler into,you need to know weather there is a airbag below the steering wheel. If there is you can not fit the Tekonsha, Primus IQ, or other under dash brands on the under dash as if the airdag goes off you will wear the controler in the legs or even worse the crown jewels.
For this reason the Tow Pro Elite v3 or similar should be used with the Tow Pro been the best. You wouldn't use cheap parts in your car brakes so why skimp on electric brake unit, just something to think about.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633196

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 22:41

Monday, Aug 31, 2020 at 22:41
Do people really know how cheap the parts are, which are fitted to their vehicles? Plenty have cheap parts in them and folk don't ever know!
Any airbag under a dash should be clearly indicated as the "in Dash" devices, so not in it's path, obviously, but to the side where the airbag will fire past with clearance would not cause any issue.
FollowupID: 910178

Reply By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 07:54

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 07:54
Recently( well a couple of years ago) fitted a tow pro to an 80 series belonging to my brother. It worked well, not as easy as I was expecting to find somewhere to mount the body but got it in there.

About 6 months later I got a call from him from a remote location telling me the trailer brakes stopped working and just had coloured lights flashing.

Googled the manual to find this was a fault code saying the earth connection had failed. Told him this and he found his battery mount had come loose on the corrugations and broken an eye terminal.

Not sure what the other brands have in the way of diagnostics but this has to be a big tic for redarc and another for sat phones.
AnswerID: 633198

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 11:51

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 11:51
I've the Tekonsha P3. It's a good controller, can be swapped between vehicles, apparently the diagnostics are a bit bit better than the Towpro. For example if there is a bad earth, it displays bad earth not a code. Pros: works as well as the Towpro, cheaper, better diagnostics, easy to use with multiple vehicles. Cons: a knee knocker the only I can think of. I'm only 171 cm so short legs, no problem in either a GQ or the Pajero. I've a mate who is 187cm and has no issues with it in his Prado. Not sure what the street price difference is both will do the job well.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633206

Reply By: swampy - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 14:10

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 14:10
Hi
Redarc is hidden [the only advantage ] but alot of $$$
Teknosha IQ primus or Prodigy are enough for most . Main difference -compared to Redarc is these models have "BOOST" function . I find this contributes to far better braking .
The differences between the 2 models is only small .
The topend model is the P3 . More than most need .
AnswerID: 633208

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 15:20

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2020 at 15:20
Yeah, Swampy. I had a Prodigy on my Prado and really liked the boost feature. I wanted one in my BT50 but was unable to find a place for it that was acceptable to me, so I got the Redarc TowPro for the better fitting options.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910190

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 09:38

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 09:38
I bought the ElecBrakes from Queensland. An Australian invention. No need to have the system 'wired' into your car as it bluetooths from your phone. (you can purchase a separate receiver instead of using your phone).

My research did state the RedArc was one of the best though. But I chose the ElecBrake system because I could keep the unit and move from car to car or even from van to van with out unwiring or having holes drilled in my dash. The cost of getting an auto electrician to wire in any system was added expense and the Elecbrake was just plug and play.

This has work fine for me now for 6 months towing a 21ft van with a landcruiser. It also has a big red button to press in an emergency. On gravel this will lock up the van wheels but on bitumen you can feel the pull of the van as the brakes come on to what ever level I had preset for the big red button.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 633248

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 11:41

Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 11:41
Gees, at that price you could have brought half a dozen or so of the Primus IQ.
FollowupID: 910226

Sponsored Links