OBD2 Tutorial

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 29, 2020 at 15:08
ThreadID: 140438 Views:7039 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A heads-up that the September issue of Silicon Chip magazine has a tutorial article on the OBD2 diagnostics tool.
This article may be of interest to anyone who either has such a tool or is considering obtaining one for use in troubleshooting fault issues in their vehicles.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: Sulphur1 - Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 07:59

Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 07:59
Wondering if anyone has an Android / Bluetooth OB2 device that plugs into the vehicle.
AnswerID: 633268

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 10:23

Friday, Sep 04, 2020 at 10:23
Not I, as I have no Android devices. Have a cable one which I use with a laptop for diagnostics and "tweaking" some settings, and a wifi one for iThings. (The iThings BT stack doesn't play nice with a lot of BT stuff, and OBD2 adapters are in that category.)

The cheap ELM327 BlueTooth adapters work fine with Android phones, mates report.
FollowupID: 910245

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 15:04

Saturday, Sep 05, 2020 at 15:04
Sulphur1
I have a couple of Bluetooth OBD units, both the same and they communicate with the three phones and one tablet I have Torque installed on. Handy for monitoring some functions. They read some info but aren't as comprehensive as what the article mentions about. The article in Silicon Chip was more of an awareness of presence of system features. Hardly a tutorial as such. reading it you can realize many systems/computer units are there, if installed/programmed in, but only in a general sense.
I have a Scan Gauge plugged into the Dmax all the time. Only had to use it twice to reset codes, others similar devices are available and probably better/do more. A proper scan tool is far better for diagnosing faults.
FollowupID: 910276

Sponsored Links