Toyota Coaster Security Screens

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 14, 2020 at 17:54
ThreadID: 140236 Views:11822 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we need some advice on how to fit security/fly screens to our Toyota Coaster 1991 as it has a curved edge to it. Our local aluminium workshop will make up the frames but they are straight. Has anyone had any experience in doing this, what did you do?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2020 at 09:04

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2020 at 09:04
Although normal flyscreens are a flat plane, there is no reason why the aluminium frames can't be bent/curved to the side window curve profile. Only the sides need to be gently curved. Probably able to be done by placing the top and bottom edge corners under a large wheel/tyre and gently lifting to curve near bottom and the middle of the sides gently curved around a water tank. That is what I would do after having the frames made. You can buy and make them yourself by using a small hacksaw to cut the corners and then installing the flyscreen of choice. A learning curve so to speak.
AnswerID: 632512

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2020 at 09:13

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2020 at 09:13
If you don't want to bend the frames, what about a bit of rubber ( Clark Rubber) packing , before attaching ?

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632513

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2020 at 10:52

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2020 at 10:52
Hi Emma,

I fitted security/insect screens to my Troopy and faced the same issue of a body curve.
The screens were commercially manufactured using CrimSafe mesh and framed in the proprietary aluminium section.

The body curve was accommodated by attaching black foam section to the frame which compresses more in the frame centre. This compression can be seen in my second photo below. The frames were attached to the body with stainless pop rivets.
The technique was to firstly fasten the frame top with 2 rivets then push the frame bottom toward the body before fastening with rivets. Additional upper and lower rivets were then applied. The frame also bent a little to the body curve whilst applying.

It can be seen in the second photo how the foam is more compressed in the centre of the screen compared to the upper and lower parts. If the body curvature was greater than can be accommodated by the foam section then additional layers of foam could be applied in the upper and lower zones.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632518

Reply By: Hoyks - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2020 at 17:19

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2020 at 17:19
If you take it to a metal fabricator, they should have sheet metal roller.

If the rollers will open enough to fit the extrusion they should be able to roll the curve into the assembled frame, or at least the sides before assembly.

It wouldn't need much, a 10m radius at the most.
AnswerID: 632523

Reply By: Banjo (WA) - Thursday, Jul 16, 2020 at 07:37

Thursday, Jul 16, 2020 at 07:37
I'm thinking that it isn't the vertical curve of the glass that Emma is referring to, but the radiused corners?

If that is the case then other than eliminating the frame and just riveting the mesh to the vehicle I don't see a solution. To dress the raw edge up you could use "pinchweld' or similar but that won't provide any additional strength that the aluminium frame would give.
AnswerID: 632527

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jul 16, 2020 at 08:00

Thursday, Jul 16, 2020 at 08:00
You may well be right Banjo.
But I have just had a look at images of the Coaster and the windows appear to have the same profile and corners as the Troopy.
I have also seen a troopy where the single screen spanned both windows.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 909275

Reply By: terryt - Thursday, Jul 16, 2020 at 18:54

Thursday, Jul 16, 2020 at 18:54
The screens on ours screw into an ally frame. I put the top screws in first, then the middle ones and finally the bottom ones. Need to use a bit of weetbix but the screen curves fine. The ones on the front windows on each side are a little different and I use spacers on the front screws on them
AnswerID: 632532

Sponsored Links