Stone Protection for Camper Trailer.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 15:13
ThreadID: 140221 Views:9075 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi been juggling on getting Stone Stomper or just the one you clip onto A frame that runs on an angle. There obviously is a few hundred dollars difference in them. But with the S. S. I would think be more rocks deflect onto undercarriage of Camper Trailer .
I suppose have to cover all gas pipes, water pipes and brake lines with something. Any advice or experience on this, much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 15:19

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 15:19
No question for any off dirt road driving....the Stone Stomper is the only way to go bar none.....

100% South Australian made with the best local service.

Look at the videos and they perform just like that.......we never leave home without it connected
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632417

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 15:25

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 15:25
Even if it's 1/2 hr away on the tar, the stone stomper goes on. Only takes one repair patch on the road to throw up just one stone.
FollowupID: 909101

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 17:24

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 17:24
Ditto to what Stephen said and I am Victorian, LOL.
I forget to reclip my S/S one day, dragged it about 40 k's before reclipped, rang S/S, arranged to drop it off on an Adelaide visit for them to inspect it. They rang and said it can be repaired, excellent, when I picked it up, all repaired, new hardware, no cost, now that is service with a capital "S".
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 909104

Follow Up By: DaveO*ST-R - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2020 at 10:36

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2020 at 10:36
Same for me. I am a big advocate of the Stonestomper. I forgot to re- clip one side after a lunch stop and destroyed a couple of stainless clips and bungee cord. I emailed Stonestomper and they sent me out new parts to fix it up - FOC. Happy with that. Last trip I towed my camper 14000km with over 3000km dirt/gravel & not a mark on the car. We still got a few small chips on the sides of the camper, but without the Stonestomper, the whole thing would have been peppered. You cannot eliminate them totally !! The odd one finds its way to the camper. As for underneath, a quick coat when I got home with a bitumen based product and she looks as good as new. I made up extra mudflaps for underneath & in front of the suspension arms/shocks which protected them pretty well from stones. On my old camper, I had an angled stoneguard. I had corflute taped on the back window of the car to stop glass breakages, but the whole upper and lower tailgates were covered in stonechips. It took me days to touch them up - luckily the car is white !! They definitely bounce off the angled stoneguard and back onto the car, and the camper still copped a flogging with sandblasting etc.
FollowupID: 909110

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 15:24

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 15:24
With the stone stomper, I know more stones will be deflected under the camper, because none will be deflected up.
That's the beauty of it, no stones get above the drawbar, but with any van, you'll have to protect all vulnerable stuff underneath. Which you'll have to do with any sort of stoneguard.
AnswerID: 632418

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 17:01

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 17:01
After 12 years of touring with a Stoner Stomper on my Kimberley Karavan there is no doubt about it, Lazylux16, SS is the way to go. Whether or not you use SS, you will either have to protect all plumbing or route it in sheltered locations. TBH, I don't think SS adds much the the underside debris, so regardless of what you choose, the underside will get hammered when touring on unsealed roads.

Prior to the Karavan I had a CT with an angled deflector across the front. It ruined the back door of my Prado on the first outing. The SS keeps all the stones under the vehicles, where they belong.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 632419

Reply By: Darian - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 19:19

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 19:19
Yep...no substitute for keeping the stones below a horizontal ‘trampoline’ style barrier between the tug and trailer. Despite appearances, angled deflectors will allow some stones to get up into the danger zone (been there....had that)....if nothing else, the tug’s rear duco can suffer from ricochets. I had a homemade trampoline for a few years...now have the SS...a quality product, well designed, reasonably priced and locally made ! Have to support that (could qualify as part of the push back against Xi Jinping’s program of world domination :-).
Oh...and...as mentioned above...you still need to get under the trailer and protect / guard anything that should not be hit by stones...one decent length run on a gravel road can reduce the underside to a sorrowful state.
AnswerID: 632421

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 21:59

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 21:59
Thanks Darian what materials did u use to cover pipes and brake cables thanks
FollowupID: 909106

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 22:58

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 22:58
LL16,

I've done a lot of mods to my Karavan - wiring, plumbing, etc. I ran as much as I could inside the chassis or in protected areas provided by the design where other OEM stuff was. I also used split conduit - that seems to be durable enough despite the hammering it gets. Have had no failures underneath from stone damage in 12 years of extensive outback travel. OEM protection for tanks etc is very good, so I started from a good baseline.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 909107

Follow Up By: Darian - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2020 at 20:01

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2020 at 20:01
As Frank says...split ribbed conduit is best for cables and pipes etc...easy to fit and replace when worn...comes in various sizes from Auto Parts shops. Consider HD rubber flaps too to protect suspension and other components if practical (I used some HD recycled conveyor belting).
FollowupID: 909127

Reply By: Member - cruza25 - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2020 at 20:26

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2020 at 20:26

Stone stompers are worth every cent

It gets fitted every trip and keeps both the camper and rear of the vehicle ( especially the back window) as safe as possible

You still get hit by stones from other oncoming vehicles that don’t slow down or overtaking you.

They offer great service and free repairs if you call in to the factory. (Easy for me as its just down the road)

Cheers
Mike
AnswerID: 632432

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2020 at 10:06

Thursday, Jul 09, 2020 at 10:06
Stone stomper for sure. We have one for the camper trailer and one for the caravan.
AnswerID: 632434

Sponsored Links