Maralinga Tjarutja lands and others open?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 07:08
ThreadID: 140214 Views:9926 Replies:3 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
I saw something that indicated that the Maralanga Aboriginal Lands ( not the Maralinga base) are now open, along with a few other areas in SA.

Can anyone confirm that, and know the status of Yalata lands? There is nothing in the websites.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OBJ - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 09:29

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 09:29
Yep. This is part of an email I received from them:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maralinga Tours is opening up once more for you to come and visit. We are looking forward to showing you where the Operation Buffalo tests REALLY happened. If you are being sensible about your covid precautions, you will be most welcome.

The first tour is on the 21st July 2020, and running twice a week until the normal end of season in October. Come and join us in this remote part of the state, where you can see soak up the outback skies.

To make up for lost ground we're appealing to locals to put bums on seats and find out the real story of Maralinga. Robin Matthews will set you straight.

OBJ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AnswerID: 632397

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 14:17

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 14:17
They've even got a countdown clock on their website, LOL.

https://maralingatours.com.au/

Of course, things are always subject to change these days!
FollowupID: 909097

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 10:17

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 10:17
Hi Tony

All Aboriginals lands over on the West Coast are still closed to the general public, as all that land falls within the Bio security area for aboriginal people to keep them free from COVID 19.

Even the Head of the Bight Whale Watching Centre is still closed, as it is on Aboriginal Land.

I have only just been speaking with the Ceduna Visitor Information Centre, and they confirmed that ALL aboriginal land over that way is closed. The Whale Watching Centre has now signed off, and are now waiting for approval to open from the Federal Government o in in Canberra, and at this stage, will not have an answer until the 10th July.

So in. Nutshell, all aboriginal land over there is still closed
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632398

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 11:27

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 11:27
Hmm, that is conflicting with the SA government Website on access Stephen.

I read that Maralinga is open but Yalata is still closed.

I'll check again.
FollowupID: 909057

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 11:31

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 11:31
Stephen this says they are open and why I am asking.

https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/restrictions-and-responsibilities/restrictions-on-movement-into-aboriginal-communities2

As a consequence of amendments to the Determination, the following South Australian communities are no longer designated areas: Yarilena (near Ceduna), Dunjiba (near Oodnadatta), Davenport (near Port Augusta), Maralinga Tjarutja (MT) Lands, Nepabunna (Flinders Ranges), and Point Pearce (Yorke Peninsula).

Currently, restrictions apply to areas on which the following communities are located:

Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) Lands
Gerard (Riverland)
Yalata (Far West Coast)
FollowupID: 909058

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 14:27

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 14:27
Hi Tony

I am only going by what has been said on the TV and from the Ceduna VIC this morning.

As I said people truing to get to the Whale Watching Centre have been fines and Police have warned not to try to get there...or else

See what happens in another 5 days
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 909060

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 14:51

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 14:51
Maybe it's open because you are under supervision while there and you just can't rock up and hope for the best and it's all fenced.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 909061

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 16:07

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 16:07
So I called the Maralinga community.

You are correct Stephen. The Maralinga community is no longer a designated area. Basically that means they have the say in when people can visit, not the government, but for now they are still closed.

They are reviewing it in light of the Victoria situation today and may stay locked down for longer. Same for the tour area.

Thanks
FollowupID: 909062

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 19:18

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 19:18
Do not confuse "Maralinga Tjarutja Lands" and "Maralinga community".
Oak Valley (which itself is a closed community) is the largest community in the Maralinga Tjarutja Lands, by far.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 632403

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 19:45

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 19:45
Hi Peter, not quite sure where you got that information from.

According to the 2016 census, Oak Valley had a population of only 128 people, compared to Yalata that had a population of 248 and around 200 living inTjuntjuntjara.

When we went through those communities, it was always acknowledged that Oak Valley was the smallest community, while Tjuntjuntjara was the most remote, just over the border in Western Australia
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 909064

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 20:21

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 20:21
Where is the "Maralinga Community"?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 909069

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 20:35

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 20:35
As far as I can see, Tjuntjuntjara is in the GVDNature Reserve which (like Yalata) is not part of theMaralinga Tjarutja Lands.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 909071

Follow Up By: Phil G - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 20:37

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 20:37
Populations vary by the week or month! Very nomadic out there

Maralinga (township) is a tourist operation and have one set of rules and Maralinga Tjartutja Lands is the community governing the vast area to the WA border.
To travel anywhere in the Maralinga Tjarutja Lands it is best to phone their office in Ceduna and ask.
FollowupID: 909072

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 22:03

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 22:03
Not sure why you think Yalata and Tjuntjuntjara are not part of the Maralinga Tjarutja Lands.

Aboriginal tribal grounds do not follow state and park boundaries.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 909077

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 22:24

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 22:24
Legislated boundaries don't follow tribal grounds either and Maralinga Tjarutja Lands is the legal description of an area which is bounded in part by the WA border, Mumungari NP, the SA/NT border, etc, etc.
Those who control the Maralinga Tjarutja Lands don't control Yalata, for instance, or am I wrong there?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 909079

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 22:31

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 22:31
The Maralinga Tjartutja lands are all controlled from their only office out of Ceduna and they control all the lands, which does include Yalata.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 909080

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 23:31

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 23:31
Then I need to bow to your superior knowledge.

On the other hand, there is the the Alinytjara Wilurara Landscape region.
https://landscape.sa.gov.au/aw/about-us/our-region
"There is no privately owned land in the region. More than half of AW is held as dedicated Aboriginal lands and is owned or in the trust of three key land holding authorities:

Yalata (vested in the Aboriginal Lands Trust under the Aboriginal Lands Trust Act 1966)
Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) Lands (vested in the Anangu Pitjantjatjara under the Pitjantjatjara Land Rights Act 1981)
Maralinga Tjarutja (MT) Lands (vested in the Maralinga Tjarutja under the Maralinga Tjarutja Land Rights Act 1984)

The region also includes areas adjoining the Yalata and Maralinga Tjarutja Lands, dedicated under the National Parks and Wildlife Act:
Mamungari Conservation Park
Tallaringa Nature Reserve
Yumbarra Nature Reserve
Pureba Nature Reserve
Nullarbor Regional Reserve
Nullarbor Wilderness Protection Area
Yellabinna Nature Reserve
Yellabinna Wilderness Protection Area."

APY lands, MT Lands and Yalata are clearly 3 separate Aboriginal titles, as I see it?

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 909082

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 23:47

Monday, Jul 06, 2020 at 23:47
More .... https://landscape.sa.gov.au/aw/visiting/our-communities

"Maralinga Tjarutja Lands
The Maralinga Tjarutja (MT) community has a population of about 100 people in 20 families, with many more during cultural activities. They live mainly in Oak Valley, which was originally started as a camp when a group of traditional owners returned to their lands after they were handed back under legislation. The MT community leases the MT Lands, totalling over 100,000 square kilometres, through arrangements under the Aboriginal Lands Trust Act 1966. Today, the MT Lands are governed at the local level by MT Council, whose members are elected from the community."

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 909083

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 09:30

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2020 at 09:30
By the way, if you need to enter Yalata land, contact Alessano Madonna, Yalata Land Management, lanman.yalata@bigpond.com. I have found that he provides an efficient and timely response.

Tjuntjuntjara Community web site is here... https://www.spinifex.org.au/ There is no mention of MT Lands.

MT Lands web site is here.... http://www.maralingatjarutja.com/default.htm There is no mention of Tjuntjuntjara except being a community across the border to the west, and Yalata is a community to the south. There is no suggestion that either is controlled from the MT office in Ceduna.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 909088

Sponsored Links