EOTopo v HEMA Maps

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 17, 2020 at 23:03
ThreadID: 140160 Views:17438 Replies:9 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for user experience of the Pros & Cons of Australia EOTopo v HEMA Maps for a navigation app (not traveller) I have.

Also would like to know how often and the usual calendar month each are updated. Looking at trip mid next year and wondering if buy now or later if new update available.

Any advice is appreciated.
Life is full of colour on the road!

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Duncan2H - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 07:59

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 07:59
My broad summary is:

EOTopo has a massively better points of interest database and a more complete representation of tracks in an area, but it shows every single goat track that ever existed and you're often left wondering what the most viable route through an area is. Often the map doesnt distinguish between a well established known track and a goat track.

HEMA Maps are easier to navigate with because the tracks shown are generally limited to tracks that are navigable and actually exist. Obscure goat tracks are not shown.

I prefer to navigate through an area with HEMA Maps but I prefer EOTopo Places for finding interesting stuff to look at in an area... consequently I run both on my Tablet and switch between them.

Whilst I currently run an Android Tablet and the two respective apps (EO Traveller, and HEMA Explorer) I have also previously run the EOTopo maps and the HEMA Maps inside OziExplorer on a Windows tablet. I dont really like the OziExplorer Android app and consequently I just run the two native apps at the same time now.

AnswerID: 632198

Follow Up By: Member - bludger - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 14:46

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 14:46
Thanks Duncan2H:

Sounds like each has it's advantages over the other depending on how you want to use them.

I note your comment re the EOTopo maybe over mapping showing even the smallest goat track. This was different from what Stephen L said where he was navigating to a place and it did not show the track. Guess again it depends on if the track was picked up in latest update or it has just been missed forever.

On a slightly different matter, you mentioned you used OziExplorer in the past. What is your opinion on the OziExplorer app which is the one I have? I know you don't use it as does not run well on Android, but is it still a player in the market? Has it kept up with the latest tech.

I ask this because the only reason I have OziExplorer is that I originally purchased it back in 2004 I think, used it on Windows laptop when doing trips to Kimberleys & Cape York. I stopped travelling for quite a while so laptop and it did not get used for many many years in fact probably over 10.

Now getting back into the 4WD'ing after being OS for 5 years so of course the laptop does not work to even find out what the version and unlock code was. I lucked upon an email to the person I bought it off, who I think is the developer, told him my name as about the only information I could give him.

Next day, to my surprise, I receive an email with link to latest version and key to unlock at absolutely no cost. He had found my original purchase record and it must be a lifetime licence. I thought this was pretty impressive support so decided to stick with it for now until I know better. Fired it up on my Microsoft surface pro and with a USB to serial converter I was able to hook it up to my old Garmin GPS and it worked like a treat.

Don't know much about EO Traveller or HEMA Explorer or anything else that may be out there so any opinion on this would also be appreciated to throw into my re-education of the exploring Australia again especially since OS is out for a while.

Thanks again,

Bludger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908681

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 16:36

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 16:36
Bludger,

I am not a fan of Windows in mobile environments.. the Operating System is still crap after all of these years and it tends to let you down when you most need it.. additionally you're now dependent on a USB Device for your GPS fix, less than ideal even if it mostly works.

If you were really looking to set yourself up well for remote area navigation I'd really strongly recommend a good Android device running both ExplorOz Traveller (giving you the EOTopo maps) and Hema Explorer (giving you the base Hema maps which are pretty good and the ability to buy some of their speciality maps). Purchase of both of these apps will be linked to your Google Account and you'll have lifetime ownership of them - installable on any Android device you link to your Google Account.. no need to email Des Newman from OziExplorer whenever you change device.. he seems to be perptually stuck in the late 90s with his approach to licensing and his support is less than average.

Add in a decent cradle to mount your android Tablet so its nicely visible whilst your driving and you're set to explore.

Dont muck about with OziExplorer and Windows and map packs.. its just more trouble than its worth. Been there, tried that, ended up back with Android.

FollowupID: 908694

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 17:08

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 17:08
Duncan

I am not sure what your issue with Windows is?

Not sure what your issue with USB Devices is???

I run 2 solid state laptops when on the road, both connect via Bluetooth to a top quality Bluetooth GPS Receiver, the same type that is used if aircraft navigation. Extremely reliable and never had any issues recording any data.

As for Des, I have found him very helpful in the past and Ozi is what the Emergency Service use, and for me Ozi is NO 1, no questions asked what so ever.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 908696

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 17:14

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 17:14
Stephen

Windows
=======
Boot times
Shutdown times
Reliability when shutdown unexpectedly (wants to check disks, rebuild, repair etc)
Stability over time (esp years)
Touch interface is still rubbish (especially pinch and zoom)
Crappy map scrolling using the touch interface when compared to Android
Battery life when the vehicle is off is poor compared to Android - unless you spend a lot
Poor sleep/wake functionality when compared with Android
Generally an utterly rubbish operating system.
Hardware required to run in it a mobile environment is 5 times what a good Android Tablet would cost.
Heavy hardware compared to Android (consequently more diffifcult to dash mount nicely)

USB GPS
========
WIndows unexpectedly remapping the COM port after reboots
Windows mistaking a GPS signal for a serial mouse at boot
A crappy connector to a device on your dash for it
Only one app can consume the NMEA out of the GPS at a time unless you start dicking about with other serial port sharing utilities.
Clumsy to remove from vehicle and take over to campfire to discuss routes with mates.

Des
===
Relcalcitrant attitude to licensing in an Android environment
Rarely answers emails
FollowupID: 908697

Follow Up By: Member - bludger - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 18:02

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 18:02
Dunken2h and Stephen L,

Hmmmmm interesting bit of banter here but it is all good insight thanks. I am not in a position to make too much comment on what is good and what is bad out there having just got back into it.

Just some facts from my experience:
- OziExplorer on windows has never let me down.
- Windows, being an engineer I have never been a fan of but it basically rules the world in office based systems maybe not tablets. Concern is expressed with windows for a navigation app. I deliver mulitmillion dollar control systems on major industrial plants around the world with the servers being windows and all the applications virtualised and they pure along like a kitten.
- Never had any issues with USB or serial ports connected to GPS on any computer I have used.
- Agree that all that what Stephen L has listed with windows is possible and likely one day to happen but not to me of recent.
- I do like Android as an operating system.
- David and Michelle I do not know as just joined the forum but what they have done has obviously helped a lot of people. Maybe they should improve the EOTopo, but hey, I could image that this is an enormous time consuming task.
- Des I also don't know but love the man if he can give me the latest version of OziExplorer for nothing after not using it or having anything to do with it for 15 years or so.

So life, and what we see is based on everybodies circumstances, experiences and perspective. Isn't it so great that we have the forums for freedom of speech unlike the Chinese who don't and disturbingly are currently bullying us Aussies. Should stop sending them our resources but they know we need the money especially in light of COVID-19.

But thanks guys. As I said, all great information to throw into the melting pot. Lets all just agree to disagree that the best system is whatever suits ourselves irrespective if it is windows, android, apple, linex or any other of the many operating system it is based on.

Bludger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908698

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 18:24

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 18:24
Hi bludger

If you already have the OziExplorer CD, install it on your new computer. My copy is around 20 years old and all you have to do to register it is use the original codes and as simple as that, then go to updates to get the latest version.

Over the years I have done this to many of my computers and never had any problems at all.

Duncan, not sure about what computers you have used, but my latest two are both Windows 10, boot up almost immediately as they are both solid state. So far no issues at all and not one single issue with the USB or Bluetooth connections
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908699

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jun 19, 2020 at 10:36

Friday, Jun 19, 2020 at 10:36
"Des (of OziExplorer)
===
Relcalcitrant attitude to licensing in an Android environment"

Compared to Google Play (the Android app store) his distribution system is a bit clunky, but if he's happy with how he's going perhaps he doesn't want to pay 40% of every sale for something he thinks he doesn't need.

"Rarely answers emails"
That hasn't been my experience. New licences issued immediately on request for new devices and a couple of issues attended to without delay.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908710

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Jun 19, 2020 at 20:09

Friday, Jun 19, 2020 at 20:09
I bought EOTraveller last week & used it today for the first time. I have been travelling with a Hema HX1 for the past 3 years.

Today we drove 4wd tracks in remote mountain country around Irvinebank, Qld. As Duncan2H suggested, Hema shows the main tracks, but EOTraveller shows many more. A lot of those shown were, for example, private mining lease access roads, obvious when reaching them with signs to discourage us taking them. BUT there were some tracks which turned out to be the 'main' track which Hema didn't have at all. At one point the Hema had us going across country where no track existed. Had we had only the Hema it would have been a bit more anxiety provoking, but it was reassuring to look & see we were on a marked track on the Traveller app. In the absence of the Traveller app retaining all it's marked tracks, but defining which are the major ones in use, I found having both to be worthwhile. With Traveller, passing the end of marked tracks, even if they are not open, provided additionally reassuring landmarks missing from the Hema.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 908715

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jun 19, 2020 at 22:56

Friday, Jun 19, 2020 at 22:56
I don't think any one mapping product is perfect, especially those we use in electronic navigators. You could go overboard with multiple products, but I think two products using mapsets from different sources chosen to suit your need is the way to go.

I use EOTraveller with its EOTopo mapset along with OziExplorer and a multitude of maps from various sources.

That way I'm always 100% sure I know where I'm lost at :-)
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908720

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 07:46

Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 07:46
Someone mentioned using two different map sets on a device. As I wrote previously I feel having the two different map sets I have very useful. (Never had oziexplorer as they were not Mac friendly).

Using any electronic mapping on a single device, is in my view a recipe for disaster! Electronic devices can & do fail. I have previously had a Hema HX1 screen fail (replaced by Hema at no charge out of the warranty period - excellent service) & have also had an IPad spit the dummy at a critical time due to overheating. Not good when needing to meet someone at a prearranged time & relying on the mapping system on it to get me there. We now have the Hema HX1 dash mounted navigator, EOTraveller & Tracker on iPad & on iPhone (and Hema 4WD maps on iphone & iPad, but prefer EOTraveller). In addition for remote areas we also carry the relevant paper maps which to date remain in the folder they were supplied in untouched.

Another aspect other than ‘redundancy safeguarding’ is ‘convenience’. For this my dash mounted HX1 wins hands down. Being able to look, hands free, at our position on a map, just glancing up every so often is priceless both off road & in unknown towns. Same would apply to folk who are able to mount iPad mapping systems in their vehicle, but we simply don’t have the space in our driving cab for that, so the iPad navigation sits in the hands of the ‘co-driver’.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 908724

Follow Up By: Travelling - Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:32

Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:32
Bludger OziExplorer on Android works perfectly and constantly updated whenever it is needed.
Des Newman fixes bugs immediately and still adds new features. OziExplorer needs to be learnt as it does so much. Mapping programs with good features always have a learning curve. OsmAnd is excellent, but again with the array of substantial features it offers takes some learning.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand&hl=en_US
Like in particular having Wikipedia downloaded for off-line use and integrates fully into OsmAnd so you can read the articles about locations off-line while travelling. Enhances the information about the area and what there is to see. OsmAnd is a subscription presently 50% off. I find it worthwhile. Is constantly updated and has great features.
FollowupID: 908736

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 08:09

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 08:09
I run EOTopo mostly, with HEMA backup occasionally. Also use Google in towns. There's very little not covered as long as you have the GPS versions of phone or pad.
Have found Apple maps also pretty useful at times, when Google hasn't caught up with recent changes.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632199

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 08:20

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 08:20
Hi bludger

I have both and will give you my honest opinion.

Hema 150 k

This map has not been updated since it was first released a good number of years ago. The good thing with this it does show the difference between major roads and dirt roads and does not have annoying icon like POI, Camp sites etc. one thing I do not like on the Hems is their colouring of terrain etc.

Latest EOTOPO 144 k

They are updated regularly.

The thing that I do not like is every track is red, so there is no difference between a main road and a dirt road. The enjoying icons that show POI, camp sites etc, as if you are only using the map, you will have no idea what they are when away from any phone or internet coverage, but they have great colouring compared to Hema.

David had done a fantastic job with the latest version, but still not perfect. A very good example is recently we took some bush tracks east of Johnburgh to go to the cemetery. Other topo maps that I use show we were on track, but unfortunately the EOTOPO has us on no tracks and going off-road and when I updated the cemetery in Places, it shows the Cemetery in the middle of know where, which is very far from correct and on a track that people do use.

I am now thinking out of the box, but if I was David, I would purchase various states government topo series of maps. I know the South Australian Government have produced a fantastic series for South Australia and in most cases around the scale of 15 k with everything you would ever want on it.

By overlaying this map on the EOTOPO, David could then have his map made more accurate and then be the best moving map in Australia and remove all the icons that to me ruin his maps.

Just my thoughts

Just my thoughts
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 632200

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 10:04

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 10:04
Further to my above post, here are screen shots for the various maps, to give you a better idea of how each maps will show different items.

Fist the SA Topo map at only 50% scale, as 100% is far too details when travelling. It shows that I was indeed on a track, and clearly shows there is a cemetery in this location.

The next image is the latest Hema 150K map. In defence of Hema, it has the track shown and my waypoint is the cemetery, but I personally do not like the colour of items on the map, but again the track colour clearly shows not bitumen.

The next image is the latest EOTOPO 144K that was only recently updated. Great colour shadings compared to Hema, but missing important tracks that other maps do show.

Here is another view of my waypoint and the new Cemetery added to places. Anyone that looks at this will think that I have added wrong coordinates, as you can see there are no track shown to get to the cemetery and shows like you are complexly travelling off road, which is very missleading.

I hope that this gives an idea of the various maps that are available
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908677

Follow Up By: Member - bludger - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 14:26

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 14:26
Hi Steven L,

Thanks heaps for the feedback.

My takings from this are:
- EOTopo maps are updated more regularly than HEMA.
- Hema show the types of roads/tracks better than EOTopo.
- EOTopo has better colour scheme than Hema. Guess this one a bit of personal preference.
- The EOTopo, from the images you sent, does not show all tracks which the HEMA does. This is interesting comment because a response from Duncan2H said that it showed every single road/track down to a goat track which was more a con than a pro to him.

I have a few additional questions if that is ok.

1) Excuse me not knowing, but who is David you refer to in your original message?
2) When you say David should overlay state topo maps and EOTopo maps, what maps does this make and where would you get them?
3) For the SA Topo maps, you mention 50% and 100% scale. Is this scale of purchased map or scale of display in your app?
4) You reference EOTopo 144k, is this the size to get? Are other sizes available?
5) Does HEMA have different size maps?
6) Finally, were do you purchase the EOTopo and HEMA maps from, the electronic version to load into my software app which happens to be OziExplorer (long story why I still have this and don't even know if obsolete and not supported anymore).

Thanks again.

Regards,

Bludger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908678

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 14:33

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 14:33
Hello

EOTopo is a work in progress - if you find a track of importance that isnt on the current map send your track file (e.g. as GPX) to David/Michelle and it will be added to next release.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 908679

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 14:38

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 14:38
Here's a recent example for me.. Try to navigate a path from Terowie to Danggali on ExplorOz... Shown by Purple Crosses. Its nearly impossible to pick a viable path on ExplorOz Topo.. Hema makes it easy. Additionally most of those very minor tracks shown by ExplorOz are station tracks that you would have very questionable right to traverse.

ExplorOz..

HEMA..
FollowupID: 908680

Follow Up By: Member - bludger - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 14:54

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 14:54
Duncan2H,

Hmmmm I see what you mean.EOTopo over information for navigation making it confusing. But if really trying to find a spot, much more detail. Something to put into the thinking basket.

And,

Excuse my ignorance, but can somebody tell me who are David & Michelle?

Bludger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908682

Follow Up By: Member - bludger - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 15:02

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 15:02
Arrrrr think the penny has finally dropped and think I know who David & Michelle are.

EOTopo where EO stands for ExploreOz just like EOTraveller is ExploreOz Traveller which is developed by David & Michelle the owners of ExploreOZ.EOTopo maps are produced by them so this is why if you send them a track, they can update the map.

State Topo maps and HEMA maps are a completely separate map source.

Didn't take long sorry.

Hello David & Michelle if you are listening.

Bludger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908683

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 17:01

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 17:01
Hi Greg and bludger.

Firstly to Greg.

For a good number of years, I have sent David emails on important track updates, suggestions on map details and from my part, mostly fell on deaf ears.

One road that I have commented on a few times is the main road out from Paringa through to the Customs House in the Riverland of South Australia. All EOTOPO updates still show the last section of the road as still dirt, a fact that it has been bitumen for well over 20 years, and I have pointed this out but fell again on deaf ears, as the very latest 144K version still has it dirt....how many times do I have to keep pointing out these details that are very incorrect.......???????

I suggested to both David and Michelle the following, as with thousands of members from all corners of our great nation, put out a request for anyone travelling on the road, or in their local area, to please check what is displayed on the EOTOPO maps, compared to what is there in real life. I even suggested that those that offer to help, be given a detailed descriptions of what is required to collected accurate map detail updates. This collected information would then show accurately (Not the Travellers App, as this would be far from accurate for collecting data.)

In the past I have collected data for Hema and they were very specific on how that data was collect, it had to be done with OziExplorer and GPS, with data collected at a rate over every 30 metres, with all track surfaces recorded, dirt, bitumen, single two wheel drive tracks, and major feature that was not on their maps. So from my past experience, I do know what I am taking about on just how accurate map data should be collected something that is not happening with EOTOPO.

Now to bludger.

In my first map image , it is taken from maps produced by the South Australian Government and by the Department of Environment ,Water and Natural Resources. The cost is not cheap, the map set cost $150, but broken down to all the major areas of South Australia, then detailed maps for all major towns in South Australia. I can not comment about other state, but I would dare say the our states equivalent bodies in other state would product these same type of maps, as in our state, these are the most detailed maps available are our Emergency Services, Fire, Police, SES and Ambos rely on accurate maps.

You only have to look at the map detail and it speaks for itself. Even with the Hema map, it shows various road service details, while the EOTOPO just have red dashed? How can anyone distinguish what is a dirt track and a major dirt road???? The road from Orrorro through to the outer reaches in that area are major access roads , but this major road is no different to the single two wheel track that goes to the cemetery.

Credit where credit is due, Davids colour is far superior. David would have spent countless hundreds of hours creating these maps, but without first hand on the ground verification these errors will continue to happen.

Seeing that Hema has been sold, I do not know if they are going to keep their maps up to date, and if that is the case, David should now concentrate on making his map the best, as with everyone help, it should be not that hard.

If I was David, I would be purchasing as many other detailed topo maps like the one I have, compare in details, what tracks are there, what are not, what are good dirt roads and what are two wheel drive tracks.

I will say it again, but it is Davids project, but if he wants to keep it the best, hems take note of what people are saying and he will have the NO1 Map set in Australia.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908695

Follow Up By: Travelling - Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:39

Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:39
Stephen L "For a good number of years, I have sent David emails on important track updates, suggestions on map details and from my part, mostly fell on deaf ears."
I concur and haven't bothered myself now for a long time.
FollowupID: 908737

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 09:41

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 09:41
Like those previous posts, I also use both Hema and EOtraveller. They complement each other. In addition I also use topo maps in various scales and Google satellite maps to look for specific POIs like camp sites, goat tracks, water holes etc. Mind you, you have to separately download the satellite maps for each area of interest.
I also have a hard copy Hema atlas as backup.
AnswerID: 632202

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 19:32

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 19:32
Hi Bludger,
just wanted to respond to your greeting. Hello :)

I should just point out a few things that some responses here make a bit confusing/incorrect.

Firstly, the maps that Hema produce are not strictly defined as "topographic" but "tourist/driving" map, so yes there will be differences between the data they display and the data we display as we produce a topographic type of map. Topographic maps by their very nature are not limited to use by drivers so there is a lot of natural landform information on the map, as well as infrastructure, geography, population, etc included. The purpose of a topographic map is to display all physical features of what exists, rather than confirmation of track suitability or serviceability. The supporting ExplorOz information (Treks) addresses these and are managed as separate data layers - on our maps the purple road lines (recently recoloured to red/black dashed lines in the EOTopo online map engine and in the Traveller app) highlight which roads are Treks - and Trek Notes are updated/management independently of the map data so referencing updates for currency is always available should you need verification, by referencing the online source (or in case of app users, the latest download of the Treks database to your device).

One of the key things for us in map production is verification. We have strict controls over what data we source but we are continually obtaining accurate data via the users of our app with live tracking enabled - this records position data every 10m on the max accuracy setting, or every 50m on the default (high) setting. We do refer to this tracking data when creating EOTopo map updates as just part of the roads layer review but we also use other road data sources including OSM.

In terms of road type - we most certainly do use a stylesheet to differentiate different road types and surfaces. If you look at the EOTopo legend you can see the key.

Whilst we can output a road surface type according to the style sheet, there are times when the data source is incomplete but these instances are very rare and we would then apply our system of default conservative adjustment - this would be why a road might show as unsealed minor, yet it has been improved and is now a sealed minor. We can only work with real data and as others in this post have mentioned, if you tell us we can fix it for the next release. We try to release new versions approximately every 18 months but could be more or less. There is no exact schedule.

What you get when buying from ExplorOz is the knowledge that we actually work on our product updates continuously and have the full inhouse capability for production updates and releases. We never release a product that isn't the very best that we can offer at that time. So the current version EOTopo 2019 was a very significant update from the 2018 version that came before it. There was about 18 months between them and the production time from when we start map tile extraction to completed product is about 3 months. We usually try to offer new releases at a discounted price to those with an existing version. The last update of the raster version for example was discounted to $40 instead of $99, plus we offer extra discounts for Members.

We are a small grassroots company that is wholly and independently Australian owned. And yes, we are a 2 person operation - just David and myself. We rely our products standing the test of criticism and real-world scrutiny and they have done so in this space so we must be doing something right in comparison to our competitors. It is a bit sad to see some have been sold off, or have gone out of business. The technology of today has been a big game changer for some business - and we know that whilst Hema had big advertising revenue they didn't have any inhouse technical capability so getting into apps and digital mapping was not viable I guess. We could never compete with them on market recognition due to the volume of advertising and presence they had everywhere but in terms of product quality and customer service that's where we've always put our focus.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 632207

Follow Up By: Member - bludger - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 22:00

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 22:00
Hi Michelle (and David),

So great to get your message full of info. Was not expected. I very much like supporting the small fully Aussie outfits. Very envious of what you have done and created and fully supportive.

I asked this question re maps because I work in a tech industry as a control system engineer and always looking for a product that works, has been well put together and most importantly, has a good support mechanism.

The responses I got gave a bit of a mixed impression of this but I also like to experience it myself. So as per a cricket batsman facing an enormous lbw appeal, I will give this the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

Now, I have OziExplorer and don't have any reason to change as it has always served me well to date. So question is, are your EOTopo maps compatible with this app? If so, I would like to get these maps so if you can look at my profile, use my email to let me know what is contained in the package of maps, the price and how I buy, that would be great.

I will make one comment about the road/track legend you sent. Being a control system engineer involved in the design of graphically operator displays for major industrial plants, I know of the ASM, Abnormal Situation Management, design principles. These are a result of research into major industrial accidents by a consortium of companies the result being guidelines as to how information should be presented to the control room operators.

Although looking at maps is not exactly controlling a multi-billion dollar plant, some principles could be of advantage. I find the closeness of the legend lines thickness hard to differentiate especially since my eye sight is not what it used to be. Not sure if they are dotted or dashed which would improve them, but since not like this in snap I assume not. Being all the same colour does not worry me as surprisingly, a lot of control room operators are colour blind making this no good for them as I am sure many of your explorers are.

On a similar note, from the responses I do note comments that appear to indicate that EOTopo are more colourful than HEMA Maps which are duller and are more different shades of duller colours. Shades of Grey for the content that is not wanted to jump out at you with the foreground objects being brighter, in this case tracks, is an ASM guideline. Maybe HEMA had some understanding of ASM and reason they chose their colour scheme.

But, not having used the maps, it is a bit pre-mature for me to judge. Only time will tell and again I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks again for your message. I look forward to receiving your email.

Regards,

Bludger.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908705

Reply By: maurice b - Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 20:53

Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 20:53
I'd like to to bring to your attention of these Free Topo maps for nsw and vic in 25k and 75k in Oziexplorer ozf4 / Geo Tiff format, or Tiff for "Avenza nav app. There is also JPG for viewers and printing . The new 25k nsw topo contains 974 sheets . Direct link to the map table . Please support Tommo's free work as other states a coming. http://www.getlost.com.au/downloads/the-map-table/ Some samples on Ozi Android
AnswerID: 632209

Follow Up By: Member - bludger - Friday, Jun 19, 2020 at 08:25

Friday, Jun 19, 2020 at 08:25
Maurice B,

Thanks for the tip. I will definately check these out even though I am a cane toad Queenslander and would be good to have a map for here. I guess it is coming though.

Bludger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908706

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 19, 2020 at 10:53

Friday, Jun 19, 2020 at 10:53
Bludger, the linked article to your post is the EOTopo webpage - if you go to this page you'll see the section "How to Buy EOTopo" and this explains the two options - Option 1: EOTopo Raster as explained is for OziExplorer users like you. All your questions are answered on this page.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 632213

Follow Up By: Member - bludger - Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 08:09

Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 08:09
Thanks Michelle!

Out of interest, when do you anticipate the next update of the EOTopo maps will be.

Bludger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908727

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 17:39

Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 17:39
We have not set a release schedule for the next EOTopo release. Its not on the immediate horizon at this stage. It would be impossible before October but who knows, could be January-March? We just arent ready yet.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908746

Reply By: Travelling - Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:52

Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:52
ExplorOz maps are annoying with all the caravan parks and uneccesary items on them which block out map information. The last thing travellers want is to know where caravan parks are on maps. I won't be updating them again because of that and lack of definition/updates and the unnecessary icons on the maps.
Hema Maps are good, but they don't update them often enough. The good thing about the Hema maps like others have said you know when they show a road it is trafficable, unlike ExplorOz maps. Hema customer service is non-existent. Tried the Hema Apps and found them too buggy and unreliable. My daily use is OziExplorer on an 8" Lenovo Android tablet with 60Gb of digital mapping on an SD card. I have bought every digital map I can to compare and ensure the road or track exists.
Westprint topographical maps are also good and won't break the bank.
https://shop.gpsoz.com.au/products/westrpint-a-series-of-topographical-maps
Main camping sites App is WikiCamps and found it to be the most reliable with the most information. Tried few other camping Apps recently and the Apps crashed or didn't work properly.
AnswerID: 632222

Follow Up By: Member - Core420 - Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 16:35

Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 16:35
With ExploreOz Traveller you can filter out any POIs and have an uncluttered map.
FollowupID: 908743

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 17:11

Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 at 17:11
If you are using EOTopo raster maps in Ozi, then yes, there are some, but not all, caravan parks shown on the map. Also some, but not all campsites. Personally, I don't find the "clutter" of those to be an issue, but I do wonder why those that are there are there when there are so many in the Places database that are not. There must be some kind of selection criteria. Michelle or David?

Core420 - Exactly. With Traveller you can have no icons on the map if you wish, other than embedded topographical features such as abandoned mines and the like.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908745

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Jun 25, 2020 at 08:01

Thursday, Jun 25, 2020 at 08:01
IME the topo maps used in Hema Explorer are littered with errors and the app has only worked properly off-line on one of my three Samsung 8" tablets.
For NSW and Vic I use the govt topos, either downloaded to Avenza or in ViewRanger premium.
AnswerID: 632284

Sponsored Links