Lithium batteries

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 12:51
ThreadID: 139881 Views:16206 Replies:11 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning all electrical people,
After reading the the thread on this forum , I am one very confused person, and as such I am asking for some enlightenment on the subject of lithium batteries. My purpose for the battery will be to run our caravan fridge while we are parked up and doing our shopping and travelling.
let me explain, We did a run across to qld at Christmas time, as you do when you have nothing better to do, and we discovered that we had a problem with our fridge not staying cold when we stopped.
After some investigation it would appear that when the the car is turned off the fridge was getting no power to it at all. Start the car and hey presto we have power to the fridge again, when we arrive in Norseman it was about 45 degrees in the water bag and our fridge was red hot. so it was get the genny out and get the fridge cooled down as quick as possible, that worked and worked well. Now we have no power to the fridge at all while we are travelling. so it is caravan parks and some free camping as the fridge runs on gas as well.
Went to Murray bridge new years eve, and have a four day lay over, so we have two auto sparkies have a look at our problem and neither can solve our problem for us.
That is ok we move on up to QLD and arrive at our destination for the week, and get our problem solved, and we now have power to the fridge while we are travelling. We get to Renmark, nice spot, and go shopping have a bite to eat, have a quick squiz at the town and we get back to the van, unload everything and re stack all our supplies into the fridge, its 45 degrees in the water bag again, jump in the ranger and go to start it , it no go. get the jump start kit out and away we go, YIPEEEE,
That is the story behind this query. I am now looking to put a Lithium battery into the back of the ranger to power the fridge in the van while we are parked up, what I need to know is how to tell a good battery from a bad one and what sort of Isolator switching would I need, also would a 100 amp battery be sufficient. I am not an electrical expert so please keep it simple.
thank you for your replies
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 13:36

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 13:36
Hi Bruce,

I needed to hunt for clues in your story and I believe that the following is true......

It would appear that after after getting your problem "solved" in Qld your fridge in the van was deriving its power from the cranking battery in the car. This was evidenced by the car battery being flattened while you were shopping at Renmark. Do you have any battery in the van?

The new battery would be better housed in the van, close to the fridge.... why were you proposing to put it in the "back of the ranger"?

Certainly, you need a battery in the van and lithium would be a good way to go if within your budget. However, a 100Ah lithium may be a bit small for your needs and closer to 160Ah would be better. But no matter what size battery you purchase you would need to ensure that the charge is kept up to it. While you are in a caravan park it could be from the mains and whilst you are travelling it would be from your alternator if properly wired so. But when you are simply parked-up shopping or sightseeing it would be desirable to employ a solar panel of at least 160W to keep the battery charged.

Telling a "good battery from a bad one" would be to heed the advice of those who have purchased lithium and got ongoing satisfaction. If using lithium you will need a specific suitable charger/management system and that would act as an isolator to protect your car battery.

Does any of this gel with you?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 630906

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 15:46

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 15:46
Hi Allen,
The van Has two 100 a g m batteries on board already, but appears that when you are stopped or even towing the van 's fridge doesn't appear to draw power from them. At the moment the fridge is drawing power from my main cranking battery, so if you are stopped for any period of time and you don't turn the fridge to gas, and disconnect the power from the vehicle to the van I wind up with a flat battery, and to me this is unacceptable. My solution is to put a second battery into the vehicle to run the fridge while parked and travelling and isolate the main cranking battery when I turn off the ignition leaving the second battery to run the van fridge, if that is feasable
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906611

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 15:58

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 15:58
Hi Bruce,

Does your van have a selector switch to select the power source, i.e. Van, Car or Both? IMHO, best position is both.

I am not an Auto Elec., but I would have thought that two 100 Amp AGM batteries should keep a 3 way fridge going for at least a couple of hours. There is definitely something very wrong with your set up, it sounds like your "house" batteries are not being charged, or are completely "stuffed". I am surprised that an Auto Elec. could not find the fault.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906613

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:33

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:33
Hi Macca,
I am no auto electrician either that is why I leave those things to the experts. The house batteries are fine they are brand new as I let the original batteries run flat over a very long period, I forgot to plug the van in after a trip once and we never moved the van for six months or more, so new batteries were required
the van has a smart switching system for power to the fridge, it draws power from the most strongest source, and while you are driving it comes from the car when you stop and turn the gas on for your morning cuppa and ya gotta have a cuppa at ten o'clock smoke oh when your on the road it switches to gas, as the the power from the car used to turn off as soon as the motor stopped and the gas would automatically kick in, does that make sense
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906624

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:35

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:35
Ah, so it is a 3-way absorption fridge, which will draw a continuous 15 Amps when connected to 12 volts.
And you do have AGM batteries in the van, 200 Ah in fact.

Well the sums show that such a fridge will draw 15Ah from any battery for every hour that it is in use so the battery needs to be sized for that. i.e. a 100Ah AGM will provide 3 hours at best.

For starters, any load in the van, be it fridge or other, should not be drawing power from your car battery when the motor is off. If it is, or can, then you have a fault..... either the automatic isolator is faulty or you don't even have one. Even if you were to put a "second battery in the vehicle" it would still need a functioning isolator to protect the cranking battery from being discharged. This is not the right way to correct the problem you have.

The correct setup is to have the fridge in the van being able to derive 12v power from the car's alternator whilst driving but to disconnect when the vehicle is stationary. At that time (stationary) it is an option for the fridge to transfer to the van batteries if they are sized to accomodate the 15A load for a limited period. Otherwise it must be switched to gas or be out of operation. If it is connected to the van battery, or any other for that matter, it is imperative that a low-volt cutout protection be fitted to ensure that the fridge cannot draw down the battery to below a safe preset voltage or batter damage will occur.

Putting another auxiliary battery (lithium or otherwise) into the vehicle to supply the fridge seems to be rather pointless to me when you already have 200Ah of AGM in the van. Why not use them?

It seems that your whole auxiliary wiring system needs sorting out. The cabling size is in question, there appears to be a problem with isolation, and the connection of the fridge is in question. Whacking in another battery will not solve your problem.
Sorry to be blunt, but certainly do not waste money by just putting in a lithium as a band-aid solution.

You wanted advice, well here it is....you really need to get the whole thing looked at and rectified by a competent auto electrician. And by that I mean one that has established competence in 4WD auxiliary systems. But still feel free to ask any further questions.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 906625

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 17:01

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 17:01
Thank you all I.
think I shall get a sparkie in one that has been around vans and rangers to have a look at the whole system, before I go jumping in the deep end where I cant swim.
thank you gentle men for you in put it has been gratefully appreciated, and given me a new direction to try .
thank you very much
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906629

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 17:20

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 17:20
That really is a good approach Bruce.
But by all means return here if you receive proposals that you wish comment on.
There is a lot of experience here especially in the black arts of lithium and solar.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 906633

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 17:54

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 17:54
I agree with Allan & has stated you need a good sparky & get him to check how your 12 pin trailer plug is wired as i will bet its also wired wrong
good luck
FollowupID: 906636

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 18:13

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 18:13
BroodieH3,

From reading all that you have posted, it seems to me you used to have a working system with your Pathfinder where when driving the 3 way fridge would run on 12V and when parked it would automatically switch to gas, then auto back to 12V when you got moving again.

I don't know your budget, but if the above is correct, and given that you have 200Ah battery capacity in the van, I would find a competent auto sparky and tell him/her that you want:

1 the 12V supply to the fridge to be from the van battery. Nice big cable to reduce voltage drop, say 8 AWG.

2 if you don't already have it, install a decent dc to dc charger in the van, near the van battery.

3 Your sparky may not be able to do this, but your Ford dealer can - have your Ranger's so-called "smart charge" turned off. Not 100% necessary if you use a decent dc to dc charger in the van, but IMO the smart charge system is there to maybe save you 10 millilitres fuel per 100km. Turn it off to do your crank battery a favour at least!

4 Have your sparky make sure the cabling supplying 12V to the van (ie from the crank battery all the way to the dc to dc charger in the van) is fat. At lease 8 AWG, preferably 6. Purists might say 6 is not big enough, but it is a practical compromise. And that's AWG wire size, NOT mm as in auto cable.

5 If you do the above this next is not compulsory, but ... I don't like having a permanently live supply at the towbar, be it a 7 or 12 pin socket or a separate Anderson. I recommend installing an isolator in your tow vehicle so that when the engine is off, so is the 12V supply to the towbar. Your sparky can do that.

This is the way my rig is set up. It has worked flawlessly for 12 years.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906638

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 14:23

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 14:23
I read Allan’s remarks and agree with it. I cannot workout why, right at the beginning, the fridge ( I presume 3 way on 12v) can possibly flatten the motor battery if properly setup initially. Trying to run a van 3 way van fridge with only one battery in the whole scheme of things is simply not doable. If you have the disconnect now working that is good but it is only for connecting to fridge while travelling. To run a 3 way on 12v you Ned sufficient solar and suitable regulator to supply 15 amp into the battery in sunny times to hold the battery from going flat. Pretty simple equation there. You may be able to have a solar panel and reg on the vehicle and an aux battery WHICH is also connected to the battery in the van , it having it’s own panel and reg. With now two similar systems the cumulative effect then should be able to provide for the fridge while stopped and mostly run the fridge when travelling even if a bit cloudy. I have sufficient solar on van and vehicle, two regs and batteries and it does run the fridge all by itself and if sunny you can stop for a long time and the fridge runs off the sun. I did fit a small VSR to fridge input, so when voltage is above 13.3v if fridge on 12v if runs the fridge off the two solar systems, Anderson in between. If voltage drops below 12.8 it disconnects and fridge will begin to warm. When car or solar restores the voltage the fridge will cool again.
AnswerID: 630908

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 15:29

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 15:29
RMD, It had not occurred to me that it may have been a 3-way fridge. And if it is then my "160Ah of battery" and "160W solar" may be a bit light on.
Even if a better proposition, were I to suggest a change to a compressor fridge to conserve energy, it may be a "bridge too far" for Broodie's budget.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 906607

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:00

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:00
If a compressor fridge, then even in hot weather and running all the time it shouldn't flatten starter battery during just a quick look around. A lithium will hang on for longer of course but it too will sink if heavily loaded. One must remember when charging process is restored it still takes time to achieve . Having sufficient solar but not quite enough goes part way and slows the rate of battery discharge or lengthens time off full supply. All a balance and juggle act.
FollowupID: 906614

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:02

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:02
Hi RMD>
The fridge is a three way fridge and normally when free camping we run the fridge on gas. The original tow vehicle for this van was a Nissan Pathfinder, and the electronics were set up when we pick the van up in Victoria and they set the vehicle up to the van and we have never had a flat battery until this trip and the change of vehicle from Nissan to the ford Ranger.
One of the sparkies that had a look at the system, told me the wiring that was in the Rangers towing harness was to lite to do what we wanted it to do but offered no solution to fix the problem, so we carried on with what we had, and the bloke in Queensland gave us half a solution, but created another problem. that is why we are looking at a second battery and Isolator switch so no more flat batteries while temporarily parked
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906616

Follow Up By: Apoptosis B - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 13:52

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 13:52
RMD, great to read that! That is awesome work.

So to reiterate, you are able to run a three-way-fridge on two battery plus solar systems, with a cut-off at low voltage?

What specs do batteries, solar panel and regulator have and how long can the fridge run?

Thank you!
FollowupID: 907678

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 15:39

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 15:39
Sounds like a new caravan to you?

As stated generally one does not run a three way fridge from 12V DC, possibly the van had a fridge switch or someone had setup a switched power source in car either a VSR or ignition switched source and that has gradually failed.

Possibly one of the auto electricians who have worked on the car have bypassed it now resulting in the car battery being run down.

Normal setup for a three way fridge is to run it off gas or 240V when parked up. When travelling ie motor running the fridge is run off the cars electrics If you stop for lunch then either fire up gas or don't open the fridge and it should stay cold etc. The car supply to the fridge is usually controlled by a fridge switch, VSR or other solenoid that turns off the power to the fridge when the motor is turned off to prevent the fridge flattening the cars battery.

It is impractical to run a three way off a battery as you would need a large battery bank and way of keeping it charged. ie a small three way draws around 15A, to run it for 24 hours off 12V you would need at least a 400Ah Lithium if just relying on the battery to power the fridge.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 630911

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:14

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:14
HKB,
I think you have hit the nail on the head, while travelling the fridge used to turn itself straight to battery power when ever the vehicle was started, even when we first changed vehicles, then we hit those really hot days over Christmas and that is when we lost power to the fridge. The flat battery only started after Queensland sparkie, gave us power back on the fridge from the battery when started.
So what would your recommendation be if not the second battery please.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906618

Reply By: qldcamper - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:19

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 16:19
Would be cheaper to change the fridge to a compressor type than to try to run a 3 way off batteries.
AnswerID: 630914

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 19:05

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 19:05
QLD.
Broodie is wanting the fridge to run during the daytime stops and not flatten the battery. Therefore, with sufficient solar it isn't really running off a battery, be it lithium or AGM. Enough solar and reg will do it for him most times during the day. Setup properly it will completely run the fridge or ata minimum, lengthen the duration until he is on the road again and charging. Either way, no flat vehicle battery and maybe a slowly discharging aux. Just telling someone to buy a compressor fridge may not solve the problem financially.
FollowupID: 906651

Reply By: My Aussie Travel Guide - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 17:16

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 17:16
My limited understanding of our caravan set up has the fridge running off the vehicle’s alternator while in transit, but that cuts off as soon as we stop to prevent the battery going flat. If we stop for lunch, go sightseeing or for any lengthy period, we switch to gas. With the fridge chewing up so much power on 12v, you’re pushing the proverbial trying to get it to rely on 12v only. You might try a fridge fan to help keep it cooler while stationary, and we also use frozen bottles of water in the fridge which we rotate from fridge to freezer to help keep it cool too. This helps heaps in extreme temps. We’ve always found the fridge runs better (cooler) on gas so happy to switch over when we’ve stopped.
AnswerID: 630916

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 20:30

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 20:30
Come in late here, but from a quick read above:
#1 You run a 3-way fridge in the caravan and you set it manually on 12V or gas or 240V
#2 Your problems started when you replaced the Pathfinder with the Ranger
#3 Eventually you found an autoelec who was willing to trace the problem and he has now wired your vehicle so the fridge now runs fine on 12V when driving but flattens the battery when you stop.

Firstly, you need to know that your fridge pulls a huge amount of power when on 12V - needs 14 to 20 Amps continuously. Thats heaps.
Secondly, caravan manufacturers wire the 12V to the fridge so it is powered from the vehicle alternator (direct connection to starting battery). That way you don't run any other battery down when you are driving. For this to work, the power to the fridge needs to be cut when not driving. This is usually done with a VSR (voltage sensing relay) in the circuit to the fridge.

My guess is that the auto electrician who wired your vehicle up correctly didn't install a VSR because they don't work well on Ford Rangers with smart alternators.

To fix your problem, I suggest you fit a movement activated fridge switch to the fridge circuit in your caravan. It will cut the 12V power when you stop (and there is no movement). Buy them for about $60:
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/fridge-switch-auto-cut-off-when-you-stop-driving-p-6496.html
AnswerID: 630922

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 20:39

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 20:39
Why not just use a good old fassioned ignition fed relay?
FollowupID: 906656

Follow Up By: Phil G - Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 20:50

Sunday, Apr 05, 2020 at 20:50
Yes an ignition fed relay will work too.
FollowupID: 906658

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Monday, Apr 06, 2020 at 10:45

Monday, Apr 06, 2020 at 10:45
I'd agree. Fit a fridge switch in the van so the vehicle battery is protected. Turn on the gas bottle when stopped so the fridge stays cool (presuming it automatically selects gas when 12v is not available*). Turn off the gas when you drive away again. Pretty cheap and effective solution.
*If the fridge doesn't automatically switch to gas when 12V is not available, you'll have to start the fridge manually.
You can improve an absorption fridge's performance quite dramatically with Karl's Kool Fans.
FollowupID: 906685

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Monday, Apr 06, 2020 at 08:57

Monday, Apr 06, 2020 at 08:57
The way I read it is you need a dc- dc charger that will charge your van battery to 100% ,disconnect your start battery when engine off and will work with a smart alternator ,and have your fridge running off van batteries when not on gas
AnswerID: 630927

Reply By: Gerard S - Monday, Apr 06, 2020 at 13:10

Monday, Apr 06, 2020 at 13:10
The Ford Ranger smart alternator can be turned of by a Ford Dealer. This will keep a higher charge available to your batteries/fridge. In fact I think rather than calling it "Turn off smart charging" Ford call it dual battery mode.
AnswerID: 630930

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Apr 06, 2020 at 19:42

Monday, Apr 06, 2020 at 19:42
Everyone else calls it NORMAL charging. If turned off it doesn't affect the vehicle.
FollowupID: 906714

Reply By: Bobjl - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2020 at 16:22

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2020 at 16:22
Broodie. Earlier respondent advised that you need to switch your 3 way fridge to Gas when stationary. Others have indicated that the fridge will draw a lot and flatten Van batteries quickly. I have had same problem with twin batteries in Cruiser and twin 110 amph in Van and learnt all I had to do was use the Gas mode as designed and intended when parked up. I have Redarc Isolator to protect cranking battery being drawn down whenever van/tug connected. If it is a short stop less than an hour I have two options, turn fridge off, or switch to gas. Obviously if in tropics or ambient temp high Gas is the default setting. When mobile the alternator will usually provide enough power for the van fridge, an supplementary compressor fridge in vehicle may mean other solutions required.
AnswerID: 630947

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2020 at 12:21

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2020 at 12:21
Hi Bobjl,
We have been turning the fridge to gas and also disconnecting the power source from the vehicle to the van when we stop and go shopping . we don't have a problem when we are camped for an extended period like a week or so, as the fridge is either on 240 or gas.
from what I have been able to learn from the previous responders is the vehicle is not electrically modified for the van, as we never had a problem when we were towing with the pathfinder, so I shall get the Ranger 's electrics modified for the van. Bob from what you have said it sounds like I have been travelling , with the van the same way you do only I have to manually disconnect my vehicle power supply to the van, where as you don't have that problem.
thank you very much for your input as you have confirmed my choice of rectifying the problem.
I need a sparkie that knows what he is doing.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906745

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2020 at 17:52

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2020 at 17:52
Hello Broodie
I know you have a dometic 3 way and I gather it has UES and MES functions
Last year I pulled out my old 3 way and fitted a new dometic with these functions.
The comparisons between the old and new are chalk and cheese.
It appears to me your fridge has not been electrically installed correctly.
If you are not doing the electrical stuff your self download the installation PDF from Dometic and and take that with you to the auto electrician.
There are two separate electricity 12v connections, one to run the fridge (temperature) and one to ignite the gas from the house battery (no AA's for the peiso igniter.
It works like this on UES. When 240v. is connected it auto uses 240v. provided the three pin plug is plugged in and switched on at the mains.
If 12v. is available ie. engine running it uses that.
If you pull into a servo and turn the motor off and provided the gas is turned on it waites 15 minutes and ignites the gas (assumes you have left the servo) and if you stop to go shopping in a town, engine off waites 15 minutes and ignites the gas.
When the MES function is set up you have to do the energy source manually.
My fridge is a dream, 12v is only running the fridge when the engine is running.
To complicate things when my engine is running I have a 12/240 inverter to run the fridge when mobile (no voltage drop) and the same. 12v. off gas ignites after 15 minutes.
The wiring instructions in the PDF are clear.
You can swap from UES to MES function from the front fridge panel.
I hope this helps.
Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

AnswerID: 630950

Follow Up By: Bobjl - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2020 at 18:52

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2020 at 18:52
Thanks that makes good sense Pinko. Whilst most will correctly interpret your example re fridge start up on gas, obviously we do not want pilot lights aflame at a servo. I was [casually] involved in a serious explosion causing horrific burn injuries at a Servo in NSW long ago which arose directly from a pilot light flame in a camper van. Similar to many others, my gas remains off whilst in transit and is only turned on when away from potential combustible products.
FollowupID: 906727

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2020 at 12:35

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2020 at 12:35
Hi Pinko.
our fridge works exactly the same as yours, without a doubt. We have to turn the gas on and off while travelling, if we are going to be stopped in a town for an extended period ie: shopping and sightseeing we have to disconnect the power from the vehicle and turn the gas on, other wise we wind up with a flat battery if we are away from the vehicle for more than an hour.
so my solution is to get the ranger re wired to tow the van and then it should be happy days again
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906746

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2020 at 13:26

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2020 at 13:26
Hi Broodie
At the moment if you pull the trailer plug/anderson connector when you stop to go shopping etc. the fridge PC module will sense this and use the caravan house battery power to activate the fridge piezo and ignite the fridge (after 15 minutes).
Or like you said add something like this which is activated from the vehicle ignition.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

FollowupID: 906749

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2020 at 13:14

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2020 at 13:14
Broodie,

It certainly now appears that your system worked correctly with the Pathfinder but now does not with the Ranger. That says that the Ranger is not fitted with an isolator and probably not correctly wired.

How does your fridge get power from the van? Is it via an Anderson plug or through the multi-pin plug that also handles your tail lights etc? Even if there is an Anderson plug it may be connected to the vehicle's original loom wiring which would be inadequate for the fridge current.
You did say that "One of the sparkies that had a look at the system, told me the wiring that was in the Rangers towing harness was too lite to do what we wanted it to do" so that suggests to me that you are using the original Ranger wiring and possibly the multi-pin plug. Neither of these are adequate to handle the 15Amp or so of fridge current. As a minimum, you need to do the following: ....
1) Fit an isolator solenoid. For your situation this would be best if it was a simple 100A solenoid controlled by the vehicle ignition.
2) Wire from that solenoid to an Anderson plug at the towbar using cable no smaller than 13mm2 (6 B&S) to avoid voltage drop.
3) Check that the caravan cable from the Anderson plug to the fridge was also of adequate size. As it worked for the Pathfinder it probably is OK.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 630969

Sponsored Links