Which Station Stay Would you Suggest?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 17, 2020 at 23:29
ThreadID: 139566 Views:6677 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Wandering down the Darling in June and have heard several views on the best Station Stays to spend a few nights at.
We don't like crowded campsites an are totally self sufficient.
And we will be talking it easy, as you should so no restrictions.

Southbound from Bourke here are the contenders:
Rose Isle Station
Trilby
Kallara
Bindara
Tolarno

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GarryR - Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 07:37

Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 07:37
Judy and I have stayed on both Trilby and Bindara Stations. I is a shame that the drought has affected these properties from the former glory, but both are still a great stay. We drove Trilby's internal mudmap tour that gave you a great insight of the property. Bindara is much smaller Station along the Darling River. We have stayed there twice now because it was quiet and relaxing. You could have walked across the Darling when we were there last year. I cannot comment on the other Stations as we have not been there , but I am sure others could. Hope this is of some help.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 629568

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 09:50

Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 09:50
We have stayed at Trilby Station, was a nice spot camped right on the bank of the river there, though we visited in the midst of the drought abit over a year ago and saw the property in it's least favourable condition really. Camp sites are well spaced out and even in school holiday period we couldn't see anyone else, though being in drought visitor numbers were likely very well down. Sadly due to lambing happening on the neighbouring Dunlop station we didn't get to do the drive you normally get to do there, but their priority is thier livestock which is understandable. I'd go back there again, would be nice to see the property in better times and get to visit Dunlop station also.
FollowupID: 904561

Reply By: Michael M34 - Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 09:55

Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 09:55
Thanks Gary,
Another aspect of the trip is to try as support properties and communities in a small way, we're pensioners. It's raining as we speak in some of the region so who knows what June will bring.

Cheers
AnswerID: 629572

Reply By: Member - Garth (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 18:52

Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 18:52
Michael,
As per GaryR's response, Trilby has always been my favourite (3 times for me I think). Relaxing, quiet and great camping spots. The property drives are entertaining, facilities fine. Stay a day or stay a week. A week would be my choice.
regards
Garth
AnswerID: 629581

Reply By: Michael M34 - Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 19:51

Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 19:51
Thanks Lads,
Always best to check with people who have been to these places.
I feel like packing up now except the cool damp weather will surely end.

Cheers

Mike
AnswerID: 629582

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 19:59

Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 at 19:59
If you are self sufficient then the weir at Tilpa is a lovely spot.
AnswerID: 629583

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:58

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:58
I second other recommendations for Trilby, where there are goo camp sites and some interesting station tracks to drive. There's also a good short cut from there up towards Hungerford, and the station owners can provide a mudmap.
Tilpa weir is also a good campsite.
And further up towards Thargomindah the Kilcowera Station is a great spot with good campsites and more than 100km of interesting tracks to drive.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 629614

Reply By: Michael M34 - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020 at 13:43

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020 at 13:43
I've been in contact with several station owners and the situation is quite desperate. Drought, water theft and strange things happening to the climate. We will make a final call closer to June.
Thank you all so much for your help.

Cheers
AnswerID: 629617

Sponsored Links