Dunmarra to Halls Creek

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 12, 2020 at 18:45
ThreadID: 139549 Views:6696 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I are planning to travel from Dunmarra to Halls Creek on our way to the Kimberley around mid May 2020 in our Nissan Patrol and towing our Kimberley Kamper. We would be very interested in hearing from anybody who has travelled this route recently and are able to report on road conditions and places to pull up and camp along the way. It is about 15 years since travelling through here and we would appreciate a recent update please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Zippo - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 01:09

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 01:09
Can't help on the camping aspect, but we travelled that way in August.

The Buchanan Hwy from the Stuart Hwy to Top Springs is a highway except for the last 20 or so kms which gets a bit rough at times. Top Springs down the Buntine Hwy to Kalkarinji is sealed, progressively reducing from good wide bitumen to single lane broken surface at the southern end. There was quite a bit of reconstruction work going on in the lower half.

From Kalkarinji to Halls Creek is mainly pretty decent unsealed, but after you join the Duncan there were some rougher bits. The last part into Halls Creek after Palm Springs (worth a stop/dip) is a twisty undulating test of patience, especially into a setting sun.

Nothing in the road surfaces that would be an issue.

Good cold beer (and food) at the Top Springs pub, fuel there and at Kalkarinji (24 hour with card).
AnswerID: 629505

Follow Up By: Member - Noel G (QLD) - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 09:47

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 09:47
Many thanks for your helpful information Zippo. The previous time I drove that section we did it in one day so can appreciate your comment of driving into the setting sun east of Halls Creek. Was not a pleasant experience. Hopefully we may be able to split it up this time. Regards Noel
FollowupID: 904442

Sponsored Links