Gas connection

Submitted: Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:45
ThreadID: 139367 Views:17169 Replies:5 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Qwik Question ? Can anyone tell me their experience with {quick connect gas connections} for BBQ etc
or any similar products prices & where they got them .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:58

Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:58
Gameco are an excellent components supplier and will make up hoses.
AnswerID: 628844

Reply By: Jarse - Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:59

Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:59
Gidday Nick,

I have been using the low pressure bayonets for years. They work well and are really convenient.

The only thing I've found important is to use the dust cover (fits in like the male bayonet fitting), and periodically clean the female fitting of dust, and apply a little lube to the o-ring. (Sounds a bit saucy) :D

I bought a conversion hose & bayonet for my Ziggy from a barby shop in Penrith NSW. You can convert any gas appliance that has a regulator for bottle gas into low pressure with a bayonet style connection easily.

John.
AnswerID: 628845

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 10:10

Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 10:10
If you are planning on adding a bayonet connection to a van or similar, it has to be installed and certified by a qualified gas plumber. They will issue a certificate of compliance.
Had a bayonet connection added to my van and I am extremely satisfied with the results. Cost was around $400 but worth it.
I used to remove one of the gas bottles from the van to run a BBQ or gas burner for my camp oven. but now I simply "plug the appliance in".
It uses the on board regulator to control gas flow.
The only thing that can't be operated on this type of connection is high pressure appliances such as the Coleman range.
I can now plug my Ziggy BBQ/Oven, or Joolca HotTap directly into the low pressure feed with ease.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628868

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 22:10

Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 22:10
bill : not asking about a bayonet type but a quick connect type its similar to air connection that might connect on the back of the BBQ .
cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 903465

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Dec 01, 2019 at 08:03

Sunday, Dec 01, 2019 at 08:03
Hi Nick,

The only “bayonet” type gas fitting I have seen is a “push & turn” type fitting, not like the “quick connect” air fittings on an air compressor. Not sure if this “air type” fitting would be legal for gas installations.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 903474

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Sunday, Dec 01, 2019 at 09:12

Sunday, Dec 01, 2019 at 09:12
Macca : it might be a grey area if there legal or not but they are sold for this type of connection from plumbing/gas suppliers ... Note they are not a air coupling connection . And in the video from a plumbing business i saw this idea , bayonet connection from the gas bottle then a flex hose to the quick connection on the BBQ etc .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 903477

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Dec 01, 2019 at 10:50

Sunday, Dec 01, 2019 at 10:50
Hi Nick,

Is this the type of fitting you mean?

If so, then it is the same as I was thinking, and have on my van.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 903480

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Sunday, Dec 01, 2019 at 19:42

Sunday, Dec 01, 2019 at 19:42
Macca :
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 903493

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Dec 02, 2019 at 17:51

Monday, Dec 02, 2019 at 17:51
Hi Nick,

I have not seen that type of fitting used on gas before.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 903524

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Dec 02, 2019 at 17:57

Monday, Dec 02, 2019 at 17:57
I think they may be refrigerant connectors. Used on hoses for diagnostic manifold gauges.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 903525

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Dec 02, 2019 at 18:09

Monday, Dec 02, 2019 at 18:09
Hey Macca, that video you put up on installing a LPG outlet..... that's not you doing the installation is it?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 903527

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Monday, Dec 02, 2019 at 22:30

Monday, Dec 02, 2019 at 22:30
Macca : i'v not seen them either...
But like the idea ..
P.s i think allan is stirring lol :))
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 903531

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2019 at 08:46

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2019 at 08:46
Lol Nick. Actually, I was looking for Macca's declaration of innocence before I launched into criticism.
Knowing Macca's industry experience I'm sure it was not he, but his declaration may dampen any flaming (pun intended) that I may collect!
Anyway, I'll proceed knowing the video guy said he is a "builder" and I know Macca is not'

For starters, it is very dangerous to fool about with gas piping especially when it is contained as in cupboards. There have been some disastrous events associated with ignition of leaked LPG in confined spaces.
The guy pronounced that he had some competence because "I'm a builder, and yeah, know a little bit about this sort of stuff, enough to get me by". Precisely, ........ "a little bit"......... it is the bits that he doesn't know that will hit him in the back of the head...... or worse! So OK, he use some soapy solution to check for leaks and 'all is good'........ for now. But what about after some time and vibrations?

As an example of his ignorance, he displays the fittings with PTFE tape wrapped around the flare section of the the fitting. That is not only unnecessary, it is quite improper and unsafe. The flare section of these fittings are designed to be gas tight without further sealant and their integrity is diminished if such is used. What other errors did he make? And he choses to instruct others ??????

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 903541

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2019 at 12:17

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2019 at 12:17
Yep pretty crap video...i coundn't see much of what he was doing ...looking on my phone . ...
Some of these connections come with a stop tap witch may make it safer ??

Mine will be out in the open ( not in cupboard ) on a slide out at the end of my pull out diy kitchen & only connect when in use with a proper bayonet connection with the quick connect on the other end of the flex .
What's your thoughts on that ??
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 903550

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2019 at 12:57

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2019 at 12:57
Sorry Nick, I only post criticisms. lol
Just keep the tape off the flares and their threads. OK on the thread-to-thread joints.
And stick to approved LPG fittings.

It was a leak in a cupboard that blew up Dow's laboratory. I was in an adjacent office. Boy what a mess. Fortunately no serious injuries but the lab looked like it had been bombed.... well I suppose it had. The ceiling and windows disappeared and the Besser block wall behind the cupboard was pushed out. Reagent bottles broken and interacting and several small fires. If it had been in a caravan only the chassis would remain intact.
Despite that, we got the lab back into part operation within 6 hours.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 903553

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2019 at 15:46

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2019 at 15:46
Yes Allan, you were quite correct, that was not me in the video :-).

I personally would not have made the connection inside a cupboard or any other enclosed hidden space like a cupboard. If there was a leak, there could be a build up of gas that is just waiting for an ignition source to set it off.

I “googled” lpg quick connection and that video popped up. The elbow type fitting is not what I have, my van came with the a “bayonet push & turn” type of connection that the end of the elbow has. Agreed, the video is not that good, but it did show the bayonet connection that I was thinking about which is why posted it.

On my van, the bayonet push & turn fitting is located under the van next to the front storage boot. The gas lines run under the van alongside the chassis rails, with a “T” join to separate the gas to the stove inside the van, & the bayonet fitting for the b-b-q. We set the Weber Baby Q up on an aluminium table next to the connection.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 903562

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Sunday, Dec 01, 2019 at 16:55

Sunday, Dec 01, 2019 at 16:55
Track Trailer have used one for years on the Tvan kitchen - you can get them from Track Trailer.
https://outbackhq.com.au/product/gas-coupling-female/
https://outbackhq.com.au/product/gas-coupling-male/

Joolca sell one which is bigger physically than the Tvan one - https://www.joolca.com.au/products/gasknect-couple-set

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 628912

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Monday, Dec 02, 2019 at 06:35

Monday, Dec 02, 2019 at 06:35
Peter thanks for your links , the joolca connection is the style I was thinking of after seeing a video . I am presently mounting a cooker to the camper pull out diy kitchen & thought this would be a pretty good way to connect it as well bbq etc cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 903497

Reply By: swampy - Saturday, Dec 07, 2019 at 20:24

Saturday, Dec 07, 2019 at 20:24
hi
Easiest way is to add a POL style fitting with dust cap and isolator ball valve . Just mount between gas bottle and van regulator .
Once done depending upon original BBQ hose length either have an extension made or a whole new hose made . Extension mounts between POL BBQ reg and BBQ.

Result is "" ANY"" gas light or gas BBQ fits .
AnswerID: 629012

Sponsored Links