iPad on dash.

Submitted: Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 09:10
ThreadID: 139366 Views:7827 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has mounted/ inserted an iPad or similar on their dash. My car stereo is Donald and I’m keen on spending a lot of money on a new one. I’m planning to just Bluetooth it to a portable speaker. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 14:56

Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 14:56
I run an iPad pro from the dash, but I’m in an Isuzu truck 4x4 so it does not block much vison & it works well & does not suffer from heat as quickly as the Hema does.
It works on blue tooth fine but I do find it’s better to run the jack straight into the radio if you have the connection, its running thru a Pioneer
AnswerID: 628849

Follow Up By: Brett H7 - Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 15:59

Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 15:59
Do you recommend a mount for the iPad?
FollowupID: 903452

Reply By: Member - IndroCruiser Brisbane - Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 16:54

Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 16:54
I use a RAM windscreen mount for a 10.1” Samsung tablet sourced fromTallon Systems - Phone and Tablet Mounts in New Zealand. iPad alternatives also are available. In my case, the mount secures a frame for the tablet to the windscreen and allows the frame to rest on the dashmat.

My main use is for Exploroz Traveller but naturally the tablet also can hold music, photos, whatever, and do all the required functions of a tablet. It works for me but there is some vision impairment – I really need to obtain the longer arm so that the tablet can sit lower. Even better would be to obtain and instal a socket at a suitable place in the dash. This is on the “to do” list. For example Tallon Systems - Socket Mount for Light Vehicle

Googling “RAM mounts” will reveal Australian suppliers for most of these items. These things are often stocked by boating or marine shops, so it is possible to go and look at them and work out what is most suitable for the intended in-vehicle application.

I am unsure of the "road rules" about these things in NSW and leave it to you to check -- probably they not very different to QLD which are as follows:

Fitting GPS or similar Units to vehicle Windscreens

Basically this deals with the question:

Can I fit a GPS or similar units to the windscreen of my vehicle?

Answer:

A GPS unit may be fitted to the front windscreen of a vehicle provided it does not affect the driver's field of view. It is also important to ensure the unit is securely attached and is not mounted in a position which could interfere with the deployment of an airbag.

For further information about fitting visual display units, including GPSs, please refer to the Minor Modifications publication (PDF, 414 KB) or Fitting of visual display units in vehicles – VSI 3 (PDF, 99 KB).

These publications state:

Visual display units such as DVD screens, reversing cameras, and so on may be installed in a motor vehicle without specific approval. However, no part of the image on the screen may be visible to the driver in the normal driving position unless the screen is disabled when the vehicle is being operated or it is considered a driver’s aid, for example, in-car navigation. When fitted, the unit must not:

be positioned in a way which adversely affects the driver’s field of view. It is recommended that the driver maintains an 11 metre (or if less, that provided for by the original vehicle manufacturer) field of view from the driver’s seating position with the seat in the lowest and rearmost position,

encroach upon the deployment area of any of the vehicle’s Supplementary Restraint Systems (Air bags, seatbelts, head restraints, etc.)

impede the movement of occupants in the vehicle,

be fitted in a location which could contact occupants in the event of a crash,
be fitted in a location where any image on the screen is likely to distract other drivers,

be fitted in a way such that it can easily dislodge in a crash or under heavy braking/acceleration,

obstruct occupant access into the vehicle. Further information relating to visual display units can be found in Vehicle Standards Instruction G3 Fitting of visual display units in vehicles.

2006 Toyota HDJ100 Landcruiser Sahara 4.2 T/D - AHC/TEMS, BFG A/T 275/65R17, ARB Deluxe Bar, Kaymar Single Wheel Carrier, ARB Intensity lights

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 628881

Sponsored Links