Backtrak RTT

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 17:17
ThreadID: 139350 Views:7493 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,
Just building the next tourer and I am looking at a Backtrax Rtt that is capable of carrying about 20 kgs on the top of the RTT ( racks on top)

Not sure about the dynamic weight on the RTT (Can the RTT handle the weight?), as I do a lot of kms on some pretty bad tracks.

Any experience with a similar set up would appreciated.

Cheers

Stew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 18:15

Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 18:15
Stew, just wondering what you would carry on the top of the RRT and sounds like a pain to remove it before unpacking tent. Cheers.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 628770

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 09:07

Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 09:07
Normally when they quote weight figures it's dynamic weight but you'd have to confirm with the manufacturer. The diiference between static and dynamic is normally huge. They're pretty lean with their specs online. Your roof racks would have to be good for around 90kgs at least. 18kgs on their website for the load carrying capacity?
AnswerID: 628773

Reply By: blue one - Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 11:08

Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 11:08
Nah I was looking for someone who has had experience with a load on top of a RTT.

ie how well the RTT can handle bad tracks etc.

I have worked out the dynamic load from the static and left some extra margin.

Thanks
AnswerID: 628775

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 14:39

Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 14:39
Can’t help with your specific question, but if you mean Backtrax roof top tents instead of Backtrak, then the owner of the company is James Cockburn, the same guy who now owns Kimberley Kampers. James was the Kimberley agent at SEQ Campers at Caboolture and always super helpful with any questions or service we enquired about, try shooting Backtrax website a message maybe and ask him about any concerns/ questions you have with loading.
AnswerID: 628780

Follow Up By: blue one - Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 15:45

Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 15:45
Thanks for that, just what I am after.

Cheers
FollowupID: 903329

Reply By: Hoyks - Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 20:58

Friday, Nov 29, 2019 at 20:58
Looking at the design, I'd imagine the racks would be OK for a couple of surf boards, but you wouldn't want something longer or heavier.

The shell is fiberglass, so depending on how heavily its reinforced the fiber glass can crack around the fastener holes, particularly if its flexing or has a load bouncing up and down on top.
I'd say the 18kg limit is more for the protection of the shell and opening mechanism than for the vehicle handling, 18kg over that area is a thinly spread load.
I also also note they don't quote a weight for the tent. http://www.backtrax.com.au/products/roof-tents/ascent/

I have a RTT mounted on the back of my ute and when folded its at the same height as the roof racks to make it easy to fit my kayaks. Fit the racks, water, fridge and RTT (70kg) and you really feel it change the way the vehicle handles, add 30kg of kayaks to that or on their own and it doesn't feel much different.
AnswerID: 628857

Sponsored Links