South Australia's Latest Silo Art

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 10:35
ThreadID: 139349 Views:7863 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Good Morning All

South Australia's latest Silo Art is complete and ready for the Christmas Season.

Cowell, located on the Eyre Peninsula is a quaint little town and now offer travellers something special to stop and see.

The man in the image is Cowell local, Mr Lionel Deer and camel Diamantina, as well as a Port Lincoln parrot.

So if you are planning a trip to the Eyre Peninsula, make sure that you drop into this great little town and support a local business.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 10:47

Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 10:47
Hi Stephen. That's great another one for the bucket list .I just printed myself up a list I have been collecting for awhile the next thing is to get on the road cheers
AnswerID: 628764

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 10:51

Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 10:51
Hi Reggy

They are well worth the drive and they are the reason why we often visit some of the out of way towns.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 903306

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 13:51

Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 13:51
Thanks Stephen. More great rural artwork, made better with the local history content. Couple of stories about the project and artists: Work Begins on Silos

Silos Complete

Was in Melb a few months back, doing the sights etc with daughter and wife. While waiting for the pedestrian lights to change we saw two fellas looking up towards the firmament and discussing a huge mural of a woman on the side of an old "skyscraper". It was an ad for something but a decent piece of urban art no less, and far better than the drab blank wall which had existed for decades. Looking up we could see that the perspective of the woman's thighs was wrong (or at least not aesthetically pleasing) and we listened with amusement as they (presumably the artists) discussed going back up tomorrow to fix the obvious bulge problem.

All of which is a long way of saying that the skill required in getting perspective and scale correct on things so huge is to be admired, even moreso when you have to deal with the curved surfaces of silos. I wonder if they'll get Billy Brownless or someone a bit younger over to try and kick a footy over them? Brownless
AnswerID: 628794

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 20:12

Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 20:12
Hi Bazooka,

There is a shocking side to the story that we found out when speaking with one on the locals that works at the Cowell silos.

Lionel at one stage had 5 pet camels, and when the youngest was a baby, he used to take it into the Pub.

For over 30 years, Lionel used his camels as part of the local Christmas parade.

Some time ago, some utter low life scum shot and killed 3 of his pet camels. The Police could not find anyone responsible, which broke Lionel, as I was told that if he knew who shot them, he was going to take the law/into his own hands and deal out real bush justice, as we all know our court system is a joke.

Sadly one other camel has since died and he now only has 1 left.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 903351

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 15:19

Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 15:19
Hey, Stephen, would you mind if I posted one of your images on the Sailing La Vagabond YouTube page? Riley is a Cowell boy and I think he'd get a kick out of seeing it...

He has Patrons from around the world and noted Cowell in his list of "best sailing destinations of the world"! I'm sure it raises some strange looks from those who investigate...

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 628797

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 20:04

Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 20:04
Hi Mark,

No problems at all.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member