Adjust door on Toyota 79 series Ute

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 23:29
ThreadID: 139045 Views:8755 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I need to adjust the drivers door on my 2011 Toyota VDJ79 SC ute. It is vibrating on corrugations. There is no adjustment on the latch on the “B” pillar on the car body. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 06:31

Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 06:31
Are the gaps between door and frame the same all the way around?
If noticeably different then the door hinges may need adjusting. Quite a fiddly job best done by a panel beater if you haven't done it before.
While the latch doesn't seem to have any adjustment you will find that it probably does as they are usually mounted to a plate inside the pillar that can move a bit.
Before you loosen it mark around the latch with a marker pen on the door frame, then loosen all the screws enough so that you can tap it slightly in the direction wanted with a soft hammer, continue until it is in the right place.
AnswerID: 627627

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 08:36

Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 08:36
Most vehicles have a captured sliding threaded plate inside the B pillar and the bolt holes are slotted or larger to allow for up and down and in and out adjustment. Simply loosen the bolts as mentioned and try it in a different position.
FollowupID: 901738

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 13:23

Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 13:23
As I stated, there is no adjustment on the latch on the “B” pillar.
FollowupID: 901757

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 14:05

Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 14:05
There IS an adjustment facility on the latch striker on the 'B' pillar.
(Unless someone has welded it up!)
The extract from the workshop manual is shown below.
You will need a Phillips No. 3 screwdriver.
Follow the instructions as below and as others here have advised you.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 901759

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 20:10

Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 20:10
Thanks Allan. That is Zachary what I described. All he has to do is, LOOSEN THE SCREWS and begin the discovery process.
FollowupID: 901769

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 20:52

Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 20:52
I had already loosened/removed the screws, which are now torx, not phillips, prior to posting. If there is a moveable plate it needs a BIG hammer.
FollowupID: 901772

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 22:15

Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 22:15
Screws are invariably used to hold removable things on. If you have actually removed both of them and the striker remains in place it may be rusted on. Prise it off with a cold chisel or large flat-blade screwdriver. It MUST come off to be cleaned up before adjustment. Maybe soak with RP7 or similar first.
Also, following removal it will be necessary to free the internal sliding plate to allow adjustment to be achieved. Again, soak with RP7 then put the screws back in not fully and administer a few light taps taps on the screw heads. Be gentle, the housing that retains the plate may be weakened with rust and you don't want to rupture it and send the plate to the bottom of the pillar.

If you did rupture the retaining housing or you feel at risk of losing the plate, there is a workaround. Tighten the bottom screw to hold the plate in place. Remove the top screw then place it through the top hole of the striker and re-insert the screw into the top hole and lightly tighten it. Now remove the bottom screw, swing the plate into position and the refit the screw. With both screws only lightly tightened you are in position to adjust the latch and fully tighten the screws. This procedure ensures that there is at least one screw holding the plate at all times.

Also observe the striker carefully when off. In my case the 'loop' had cracked at one end and required re-welding before refitting and adjusting.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 901775

Reply By: diver09 Dan - Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 11:44

Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 11:44
Kevin

I have a 2014 2 door land cruiser ute .I have a very heavy suspension on it which makes it very uncomfortable when not carrying a load . We have just completed the Anne Beadel highway and a few others . My doors mainly the drivers were vibrating . All seem to be in the correct position . I ended spaying silicone in to the handles and latches and it stopped .

regards

Diverdan
AnswerID: 627636

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 20:13

Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 20:13
I can't fathom how spraying a lube into a door lock will stop the door vibrating. Adjustment might fix it though.
FollowupID: 901770

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 13, 2019 at 08:46

Friday, Sep 13, 2019 at 08:46
Read recently where a bloke used extra rubber seal on the inside of the current seal, in an attempt to reduce wind noise. Said it did make a difference.

A strip of this seal, right around the door, might assist in reducing vibrations, Kevin, as well as making the interior quieter too?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 627676

Sponsored Links